Corn Dogs (and Hush Puppies)

hotdogs
corn
hush
puppy
fritter

Ok, this recipe is a two-fer. If you don’t use up all the batter in making the corn dogs, you can use the rest of the batter to fry up hush puppies. This recipe makes 5 corn dogs.

Before cooking anything, you want to be sure you can fit your corn dogs in the fry pan. Cut the skewers to the appropriate length

And test to see if the hot dogs fit, before you make a mess dipping them in corn batter

Now for the cooking part…first, start with opening up a can of baby corn, and drain well.

Using a stick blender, puree the baby corn

In a bowl, add 1 cup almond flour

Then add 3 tablespoons coconut flour

Add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Blend the dry ingredients.

Add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or other type of oil you desire)

Add 6 tablespoons baby corn puree

Add 3 eggs

Blend well with a fork. At this point my batter looked like this:

To thin out the batter, I added 6 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.

The idea is to achieve a batter that will cling onto the hotdog, but not too liquidy that it doesn’t make a thick layer. You have to play with the texture of the batter to get it just right. So, you may need a bit more or less than 6 tablespoons cream. The grind size of the almond flour will have an effect on texture of the batter.

Transfer the batter to a tall and thin container, tall enough to submerge the hotdogs

Get the oil in your pan up to temperature. I used leaf lard.

While the oil is heating, dust the hot dogs with a bit of coconut flour. This will help the batter stick to the hot dog

Dip the hot dog in the batter, make sure all sides are covered. You will need to tip the cylindrical container on its side and roll a bit to completely cover the hot dog. If you are struggling to get the hot dog completely covered, you can patch it up with your fingers - but, make sure your hands are clean and wetted with water, so that your fingers don’t stick to the batter.

Fry the corn dogs. Don’t walk away from the hot oil - in about a minute on one side, you will need to flip to other side as it cooks very quickly

With the remainder of the batter, you can make hush puppies. I like to add jalapeno peppers to my puppies!

Add as much diced fresh jalapeno as you desire

I dropped the hush puppies into the hot grease by the tablespoonful

Make sure you place the fried items on paper towel, to absorb the extra grease

The final plating

The perfect jalapeno hush puppy bite

And the perfect corn dog bite

What did you Keto today?
(Newimprovedme ) #2

That looks really good. I’m getting hungry.

(Dustin Cade) #3

so the tiny corn helps give it that corn flavor? I just might try this…

(Bacon for the Win) #4

Your upcoming cookbook should be called “The Perfect Bite”

(Megan) #5

That looks amazing and I might even be able to get my kids to eat it too!

(Megan) #6

What kind of hot dogs do you prefer? I’m still looking for a good brand.

I just used a grocery store brand with the least amount of carbs in it.

(Henna Selnes) #8

Holy sweet land of corn bread. Now I know what a corn dog is, with it’s little puppies.

This I must try,but first I will have to buy a little American flag,so I can have the full experience. :us::hotdog::cowboy_hat_face:

(AnnaLeeThal) #9

This looks great! I’m going to have to try

(Regina M.) #10

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I was going to have to live without corn dogs.

(Becky) #11

OH holy cow! Wow! Corn dogs! Oh my gosh! I am so happy right now! Thanks for this recipe!

(Regina M.) #12

Watch out everyone. Some brands of baby corn have very high carbs. I think there is more than one variety of corn used as baby corn. I had my sister pick up a can of baby corn for me. She didn’t think to look at the carb count. It has 25g carbs and 3g fiber per serving, yet I know that other brands have 4 carbs. The only ingredients are baby corn, water, salt, and citric acid.

Wow! Good catch! By any chance, did you see what they preserved the baby corn in? Water or something else?

(Regina M.) #14

It’s just water, salt, and citric acid. It’s the Sun Luck brand. I hope I can find another brand nearby.

(Megan) #15

Dogs and puppies! Lol!

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #16

O.M.G. I just made these. :+1::+1:

I subbed plain whey protein isolate for coconut flour and added a few drops buttered popcorn flavoring (the kind you find on pharmacy counters for flavoring meds).

One question @Fiorella … have you ever frozen these?