Cooking With A Lot of Butter?

(G Whistler) #1

Is it safe to cook meals with 30g of butter?

Yes I know the diet lipid stuff has been debunked, but even so that’s still a lot of fat/sat fat for me.

30g/2 tbsp of butter is nothing. Why would you consider that a lot?

(G Whistler) #3

It is for me. Not sure how it’s nothing. That’s almost 100g butter a day (3 meals).

I don’t know, if it’s fine then great :smiley:

(Alex) #4

perfectly safe. fat is your friend

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

You don’t need to be chugging fat, but you do need to replace somehow the calories no longer coming from carbohydrate. The good news is that it takes less than half as much fat to do the job, and fat has an almost non-existent effect on insulin secretion, so it is a safe source of calories, from the point of view of keeping insulin low. Eat to satiety, which means eat enough to satisfy your hunger, stop eating when you stop being hungry, and don’t eat again until you’re hungry again. Eat whatever amount of protein feels right.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I cut a chunk off of the end of the large block of butter, saute fish until golden brown, cook a bit of veg in what’s left and pour that butter over the entire shallow bowl of food and eat it all. Yes, it’s okay to eat 30 grams of butter (or more!)

When I first started keto I was afraid of fat. Decades of SAD conditioning had crept into my thinking.

When we’re in nutritional ketosis we burn fat, so that much butter is not problem. Although I use 15-20g.

Eat carbs - you make fat - and store it. Hundred of millions of people do this, it’s easy to see.

Eat fat (butter) - and if you stay below about 20g carbs - then you will burn fat.

I don’t fear fat, I fear sugar.