Contrary to Keto, does this apply

(Ron) #1

I have been experiencing some bloating and wondered if it was salt related and in searching, found this dated 10/2017 so it is a new article. No wonder people get so confused.

Obviously water is good and necessary in generous amounts (yes, there can always be too much of any good thing - but you have to go pretty hardcore with water to get there). As far as salt, my opinion has completely shifted since hearing the 2ketodudes podcast ā€œThe Salt Fix.ā€ I highly recommend listening to it. I have since increased my salt intake, which has helped me with a couple of issues that I would have thought were due to too much salt, based on conventional ā€œwisdom.ā€

(Rob) #3

Looks like garbage based on anti-salt propaganda. This is a pretty strong force in medical communities. It just led to prominent salt labelling in the UK after 20 years of effort. Read The Salt Fix or listen to the 2KD podcast from that author (as @NinMD wrote as I was writing this :grin:) to hear the counter case. SOME people are sensitive to salt/sodium and have negative effects but this is used to try to prevent ALL people from having the sodium they need (more than recommended) which is a medical hedge more than anything without considering the negative effect of hyponatremia (too little).

Most people around here are taking in 4-6000mg a day and are not swelling up like the Stay-Puft Man. Keto is diuretic and you do pee more and pee out the sodium (and other electrolytes). There are far more people complaining of the symptoms of too few electrolytes than too much (edited), though there are some of the latter.

(Ron) #4

Thank You for the replys. I have watched the podcast and that is why I commented about this being confusing too people. It is getting harder and harder to believe anything you read now days. I do think I will cut back on my salt as I have been averaging between 8-10000mg a day, and kcko.

(Rob) #5

This will only deliver 5-6500mg of sodium which is a keto target. I wouldnā€™t change it unless you are getting negative symptoms.

(Doug) #6

Good point, Rob.

My doctor is a young guy - 43 years old - and heā€™s disappointed me by being too ā€˜old schoolā€™ in some respects, despite his youth, but when discussing blood pressure he did tell me that most people (75%) donā€™t have the salt sensitivity that really makes things go haywire when they eat a lot of salt.

(Ron) #7

Could you explain how this only delivers so much? Does your body just not absorb everything you throw at it?

(Rob) #8

SAlt is sodium and chlorine (NaCL) so only about 65% sodium by weight.

(Ron) #9

got it, thank you!

In cronometer it lists ā€œsodiumā€ in the breakdown. Does it not separate? Or am I actually getting 10,000 mg?

(Rob) #10

The apps break out the sodium from the salt in my experience.

(Ron) #11

OK great. I will cut back to suggested target.
Thank you!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

How many grams in a teaspoon? My understanding is six?

(Edith) #13

There are 2300 mg of salt in one teaspoon. Salt is 40% sodium, so there are 920 mg of sodium in one teaspoon of salt.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

and we are shooting for 5 to 6 grams? So thatā€™s about five to six teaspoons?

(Edith) #15

Yes, but you shouldnā€™t need to take that much as a supplement. If you use salt liberally when you cook and eat you may only need an extra teaspoon or two.

I supplement with 1/2 teaspoon of salt three times a day. That is enough to keep the muscle cramps at bay. Iā€™m short and female but I exercise a fair bit. You may need more than that or less. Your body will let you know if you are not getting enough sodium with light headedness, feelings of weakness, muscle cramps, even heart palpitations, similar to keto flu symptoms.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

Wow. Iā€™ve been a saltaholic all my life. I kept reading ā€œmore salt, more saltā€ - and I went overboard. I wonā€™t even admit to how much I have been getting, but letā€™s just say itā€™s enough that I look like a blowfish by afternoon. Think I need to scale down a bit. Thanks for the info. Glad I questioned the amount. (I salt sour cream and cream cheese, if that gives you any idea).

(icky) #17

The same thing happened to me. I eat normal amounts of salt and enjoy savory food much more than sweet food. Cos I kept reading salt, salt, salt, salt, salt I overdid it too. I was questioning it but kept getting the response more salt. It seemed very werid to me, but some ppl are putting salt in their BPC to get even more.

I had more serious symptoms to you. I nearly collapsed and ended up hooked up to an ECG.

I really want to understand why the need for salt is so different in Keto. Because ā€œcopious saltā€ doesnā€™t work for everyone. And while I may be a weird snowflake, Iā€™m not the only weird snowflake!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

OMG. Thank you for telling me that. I didnā€™t know that was possible, collapsing, etc. Yeah, I have just come to realize that a lot of people fear salt, so that the people starting Keto probably have to be encouraged to eat more of it. What I have gotten out of it is that in losing a lot of water weight we are constantly peeing out salt, that we need to replenish? Or something like that. But the constant peeing stopped for me at week three, I drink a lot of water but it isnā€™t the pee every five minutes like at first. Yes, Iā€™m going to tone it down somewhat. Just the blowfish by afternoon effect should tell me to put on the brakes.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

Even pre-Keto, a neighbor watched me covering my bacon in salt and her response was: ā€œGood God!ā€ :rofl:

This is a Livestrong article. I wrote thousands of them( no exaggeration) a few years back, for Demand Studios, and believe me, nothing but the ā€œparty lineā€ on nutrition ever made it through editing. I did not write this one, however, lol. Iā€™m an RN, and in the later years they were looking to hire health professionals, but everything still had to made it through editing, so only the most commonly accepted, innocuous info got published.