Consuming electrolytes - dehydration

(Mike W.) #1

What are you eating to make sure you keep your levels up, or are you supplementing? I woke up this morning dizzy and realized I was feeling terribly dehydrated. I drank a bunch of water, ate an avocado, and drank some broth. I’m feeling a little better but I’m looking for ways to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Daily multivitamin, lite salt if I need to salt some food. (Potassium/Sodium) Make sure you drink plenty of water, that’s always true.

Speaking for myself, just got some blood tests back and levels are are well within range.

*your mileage may vary. Consult your Doc!

(I like to post memes!) #3

Some ideas for electrolytes here

(Mike W.) #4

Was fine last night. Had salmon for dinner. Started feeling better. Woke up not feeling so great today. Woke up ok. Had two eggs cups with cream cheese and a cup of boullion . Now I’m at work, a little Lightheaded, headache, cant concentrate. My pee is clear as can be, but still not sure what is going on. Any suggestions on how to alleviate these symptoms? Thanks.

(I like to post memes!) #5

@MiKetoAF I only drink to thirst, no need to float away and have clear pee.

The Drink 8 Glasses of Water Per Day Lie

(Mike W.) #6

I"m only in my first week. I thought it was drink, drink, drink some more?

(Kerri Hines) #7

Sodium needs are high on keto. Between 3000-5000mg a day is recommended to REPLACE the sodium you lose. Keeping sodium up helps to prevent magnesium and potassium loss but they can get low too.
There’s a balance between water and sodium. The more water you drink the more sodium you’ll need. The more you sweat or are active, the more of both you’ll need.
Some people need twice the amount I mentioned above. You can’t get enough from just salting foods. Drinking salty broth or simply adding some to water is helpful.

(Mike W.) #8

I’ve been drinking chicken bouillion when I get a headache it seems to help. But never more than twice a day. 3000-5000 seems like a TON of sodium but if that’s what it takes, i better up my salt game. Thanks!

(Kerri Hines) #9

I think I saw it referenced in these forums somewhere but you can also google the sodium needs subject with Stephen Phinney’s name to validate what I’m saying.

(Mike W.) #10

I will do that. Thank you.

(Human) #11

+1 drink to thirst. Also salt food to taste. It’s hot where I live so I add a cup of bullion if it’s a very hot day.

(Tim ) #12

I am struggling with this. Prior to keto I always was sensitive to salt and msg. Lately I have been feeling like I am retaining water. Two weeks ago I went 24 hours without eating for the first time and felt great had my meal and went into a state of being tired for two or three days and feeling bloated like water retention. Tried getting my electrolytes in order thinking that I was depleted from my first fast. I finally have my energy back and am back to eating with. 4 hour window for the last few days but steel feel like I am retaining water. Could it be that I need more salt? I have been backing off on the salt but it doesn’t seem to be doing the trick. Drinking plenty of water 150 oz a day. I just want to get rid of this puffy feeling. Any help out there?

(Mike W.) #13

I’ve found that lowering my water intake (under 100 oz) and upping my salt intake has gotten rid of my headaches and fatigue.

I wonder if your bloated feeling comes from something you are eating? I, for example, get a bit bloated after eating nut flours (or at least if I have eaten a bit much!). It might be worth really simplifying things for a while and seeing if you feel any better. What I mean by that is eating as basically as you can - protein, veg and fat. I would record what you eat in a journal and make a note of how you feel every day alongside that. You may then start to see some patterns forming. Every time you try something like say upping salt, you will see what has happened. It is so easy to forget unless we write things down. If you prefer to do this online, there are some great journal sites. I have used one called Penzu which has a free option.

(Kerri Hines) #15

I know some people that retain water when sodium is low. It’s certainly easy enough to try having more for a few days and see if it helps. Typical recommendation is between 3000-5000mg a day. Every day.

(Mark Myers) #16

Looking for good ways others do to maintain electrolytes etc during the summer. When I was in the military, I ended up in the hospital for 3 days due to dehydration from being in the desert. After that time I have not been able to tolerate heat very well. Here in Virginia, it doesn’t get all that hot, but the humidity drains your fluids almost as fast as the hot sun will. I know that now that I’ve been on keto, I need more sodium and just looking for ways others have been coping. I’ve found using wet towels or those special designed cloths to go around your neck is very helpful in keeping cooler. Now that I’m off blood pressure meds, I don’t have to keep out of the sun anymore and the meds were diuretics which also depleted the water in my system.

(Tim Scudder) #17

I put Himalayan pink salt on everything!

My elephant ankles are so uncomfortable today I actually drank a G2 (12g sugar!!!) instead of my usual Powerade Zero hoping it would rebalance my electrolytes. Still have huge ankles. :woman_facepalming: Sea Salt in my coffee this morning too. 74oz water so far. My doctor tells me this is normal with aging (I’m 42) and to wear compression socks. I was hoping Keto would help with this too. Ugh! #sausagetoes

(Carpe salata!) #19

@MI_Girl75 how long have you been eating keto? And stay off those sugar drinks. Lol

Keto for 6 weeks & this was my first time having a G2. It was the only electrolyte drink available while I was at work. Normally would have had a Powerade Zero.