Consuming electrolytes - dehydration

(Carpe salata!) #21

Oh that’s ok then.

I try to stay with the plain soda-water or Le Tap. That way I feel like I’m out of the turbulent sugar-carb-sweetener white waters and in the becalmed keto backwaters taking it easy.

Do you have extra salt or an electrolyte replacement other than the soda water?

(Carpe salata!) #23

I have used sea salt at times. Great during fasting.

(Lauren) #24

I’ve struggled with this myself. I bought a liquid electrolyte supplement on Amazon. I put half the recommended amount in my water or coffee. It has helped a great deal in keeping the keto flu at bay.

(Clara Teixeira) #25

I strongly encourage you to read “The Salt Fix” by Dr. James DiNicolantonio (I listen to books on audible). There are also some good podcasts out there where he is interviewed. Many of us are too low on sodium and switching to keto can cause even more to be flushed out.

I ordered some ankle compression socks to wear when I sleep to see if it would help with restless legs, it does. I also noticed it reduced swelling considerably (I didn’t even know I had any ankle swelling until I would see bones that were unfamiliar).

(Lauren) #27

My library has this and I just checked it out.

Wearing my compression socks today (Under long pants at work). Wish I didn’t need them, especially in the summer when I want to wear shorts. I will also check out “The Salt Fix”, thanks!

(Ren) #29

I get most of my electrolytes in the food I eat. I make it a point to fit in foods high in potassium and magnesium into my diet, and I salt almost everything that goes into my mouth. I also drink 1-2 ketoades a day to help maintain electrolyte levels incase I don’t get enough from my diet.

Brenda Zorn’s ketoade recipe.
1/4 tsp morton lite salt (potassium and sodim)
1/2 tbs magnesium citrate liquid
24 oz of water

You can add a squeeze of lemon, lime, or sugarless water flavoring such as Mio if you want some flavor.

(Elaine Fitzpatrick Pedersen) #30

How many of these do you drink a day?

(Candy Lind) #31

I routinely drink 2/day when not fasting, up to 4 when fasting or if I’m feeling “flu-ish.” I’m still trying to balance out my daily salt-electrolyte intake, and this seems to help.

(Candy Lind) #32

I know this is really old, and I hope you’ve resolved your edema issues, but I read this and thought “You need to fire that doctor!” What an incredibly thoughtless & asinine thing for him/her to say to a 42-YO!

(Pete A) #33

In this case I play around the same way you do @MiKetoAF and if you’re really feeling ragged:

Take an Epsom Salt Bath

Your body actually absorbs magnesium better through your skin than through your digestive system. If you’re experiencing muscle cramps, troubles sleeping, or anxiety, consider taking a warm Epsom salt bath since Epsom salt is rich in magnesium.

Read more at https://www.nutriliving.com/blog/how-to-achieve-the-perfect-balance-of-electrolytes#b3MeePeFALC4tmxZ.99

(Ron Sharp) #34

I found I was taking too much magnesium, which will give you diarrhea, which can draw water from the body into the intestines. I cut back on the magnesium and the bloating and diarrhea went away after a couple of days.

(Dee Nice) #35

My hubby got food poisoning last night, has been throwing up all day, even water. He did not like the flavor of the Powerade Zero I had so he had a G2 grape flavor we had left in fridge. It’s 13g carbs and 12g sugar. He loved it, felt sooo much better after drinking it and kept it all down. The sugar content is my issue hoping it won’t throw him off. Any thoughts?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #36

If he has one and can get into something with no sugar he should be fine. If he continues to guzzle those for the next two days, he’ll still be fine but it will take longer. Hope he feels better soon.