Constant headaches from fasting

(jilliangordona) #1

Hi all!

I searched this topic and couldn’t find too many answers. I have been keto on and off since October of last year, being 100% dedicated since May. I have fasted before, doing 16/8, OMAD, and a few 24 hour fasts here and there.

For the last week I have been doing 20/4, and today I was planning to do a 24 hour fast, and nearly everyday I have ended up with a headache around noon. I take potassium, magnesium, and I supplement with salt through my fast. I drink water and stay hydrated.

I have about 2 cups of cold brew each morning as well.

All of my research keeps pointing to hypoglycemia… but that doesn’t make any sense to me.

Any thoughts or insights?

(Mike W.) #2

I always start with adding more salt.

(Sonia A.) #3

I agree with @MiKetoAF. And even though you already supplement with salt, it could be not enough since you drink coffee. If you’ve listened to the episode about the salt fix, Dr James DiNicolantonio says that we excret half a tsp of salt for every 4 cups of coffee we drink (if I remember correctly).

(jilliangordona) #4

I have listened! I’ve been upping each day but it doesn’t seem to be working. I suppose I will keep on trying

(Sonia A.) #5

You seem to be lean. For lean people, it’s more difficult to fast. Maybe you need to supplement with fat or eat more fat the day before a fast.

(jilliangordona) #6

Pictures can be deceiving! I would estimate I have about 140lbs of lean body mass, and 40lbs of body body fat.

But I may supplement fat in again to see how that helps. My big confusion is I am not a fasting noob! I’ve done this before and been fine

(Sonia A.) #7

Maybe you had more fat on you, so it was easier then. If you lost weight since your last fasts, it may explain your difficulties.

I get that also, nothing electrolyte related seems to help. I’m almost positive it’s blood sugar related because if I eat breakfast I feel fine (even if it’s just a few nuts or some blueberries). If I don’t eat I get a mild headache and tingling in my neck and sometimes my limbs. I chalk it up to still not being fat adapted and that the process could take years. But I’d love to hear what people say, it’s something I’ve researched with little luck.

(Allie) #9

If I start feeling bad while I’m trying to fast then I eat as it shouldn’t make you feel that way :frowning:

I’d look for hints by taking a blood pressure reading and a glucose reading. It would be unlikely that slightly low glucose would be an issue if you’re fat adapted and producing adequate ketones.

Also, try cutting back or eliminating the potassium supplement unless you have a reason for taking it. Potassium and sodium need to be balanced in the body. I get headaches when I’m slightly dehydrated, with low-normal blood pressure due to decreased blood volume. Extra salt will help with hydration.

(Sonia A.) #11

How are you feeling @jilliangordona ?

(jilliangordona) #12

Thanks for checking in! I have stopped fasting for the time being. I am allowing myself to feast for a bit before I jump back into it. No headaches since stopping.

I am still pretty confused because I haven’t lost any weight since previous fasts. Nothing has really changed. I am getting some blood work done soon to figure out if there is anything funky going on.

Hoping all will be well with you body and soul, nothing funky! :slight_smile:

(Sonia A.) #14

Maybe your body was getting used to your IF schedule and you need to shake things up. It’s a good idea to feast for a while. Keep us posted.