Confusing results zero carb

Sorry, missed that information, so without being able to swallow and regurgitate a pH test strip to know for sure :laughing:, what youā€™re doing should account for stomach acid.

For a short period of time I tried a complex of digestive enzymes to see if that would resolve stomach issues, but in my case it was dairy. I prefer natural resolutions like the ACV and what youā€™re already doing, but maybe a short test of a digestive enzyme supplement with protease and lipase might offer some insights.

(Erin Macfarland ) #82

Yep I take those already! Iā€™m thinking about tinkering with types of fats and meats. Iā€™ve mostly been doing beef. My main problems are nausea, umā€¦ā€œloose stoolsā€ (sorry but Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one around here!) and then I feel depleted and very hungry. Not a fun cycle.

(Sondra Rose) #83

I get nausea and loose stools when I eat too much fat. Maybe you are eating a bit too much added fat?

(Erin Macfarland ) #84

I donā€™t add copious amounts, if a meat is fatty I donā€™t add any. But Iā€™ve thought about tweaking that as well. I have to be sure to get sufficient energy from fat in my diet because Iā€™m very lean.

(Alex Dipego) #85

Types of fat could be it as well. Mono saturated fats destroy me, but having a good variety helps. Your gall bladder can only take so much.

(Erin Macfarland ) #86

It must be rebelling hahaā€¦I was thinking back to when I did keto in 2015 and donā€™t recall having disgestive issues then, and I realized I was not eating nearly as much fat as Iā€™ve been eating now, but I believe that contributed to me getting entirely too lean during that time. I was not taking in sufficient energy. So thereā€™s gotta be balance here some whereā€¦

(What The Fast?!) #87

Hey there @Emacfarland I would LOVE to hear your progress since this thread ended!!!

Iā€™m a cyclist and recently started ZC (a week ago). Iā€™m also looking for answers! I was keto for about 3.5 months then made the switch to ZC. I didnā€™t lose any weight on Keto (save a few lbs of water weight in the beginning that came right nack on). Iā€™ve lost a few on ZC but itā€™s early days.

Iā€™m also struggling with dialing in the correct amount of protein vs fat. I was 60-80g protein on keto and am now easily doubling that. People are talking about eating 2-3lbs of meat (over 25-300g protein a day) and Iā€™m trying to figure out whatā€™s best for me. Iā€™m eating basically to satiety now on ZC and am ending up around 150g protein, around 1500 cal total. Then again, I have no idea how accurate that is because each cut of meat is different. I may do ground beef for a week since thatā€™s a little easier to figure out. (Even then, I get grass fed beef from a local farm so I donā€™t know the exact ratio of fat!

Anyway - PLEASE fill me in on your progress!!

ALSO! I did an instant pot shoulder roast tonight and ate a bunch of it, like maybe 10 or so ounces? Iā€™m usually above 0.5 ketones and 4 hours after dinner, Iā€™m down at 0.2. I think itā€™s got to be the protein. Do others worry about ketosis on ZC? I think the concensus is no, but I imagine itā€™s advantageous for endurance training. Iā€™m doing a 630am ride and will report back!

(Erin Macfarland ) #88

I am happy to update you, but hope you wonā€™t be disappointed! I had to go off keto (for the second time) because my eating disorder was triggered by the weight I lost doing keto. Despite eating a lot of calories and not fasting, my body seems to associate keto with starvation, which switches on anorexia for me. This is my personal experience and many people do well eating this way, but I now understand that I am genetically wired this way and need to be very careful to not lose weight, which I do easily on keto. I wish I could be more helpful. I hope your experience is positive and that you are happy with this lifestyle. I did enjoy it for time I ate that way, about 2 years total, but my health suffered too much and I am not sure I can ever do it again. Thank you for reaching out!

(What The Fast?!) #89

Iā€™m sorry to hear that @Emacfarland!! Question - you say your health suffered on ZC; do you mean I general or specifically as it relates to anorexia?

(Erin Macfarland ) #90

For me, keto triggered easy weight loss (I did not need to lose weight or intend to lose weight starting keto I tried it to increase running performance). In someone with the genes to develop anorexia energy restriction of any kind will trigger the disease. So indirectly keto contributed to my eating disorder. Many people can follow this way of eating with no problems but because it causes me to lose weight easily my body interprets this as entering an energy deficit state which leads to the desire to restrict food and move compulsively. This disease is widely misunderstood. So when I was emaciated, I suffered from the negative health effects associated with starvation such as loss of my period, lowered thyroid function, low libido , feeling cold all the time, dry skin, a flat affectā€¦not fun. It took me several years to understand this and now I understand a great deal about eating disorders and what causes them. They are strictly genetically based, people donā€™t choose them or develop them out of vanity. They are serious mental illnesses with a high mortality rate. So I have to be careful never to enter an energy deficit state ever again or the disease will come back. Anorexia can affect people of any weight so often times people in larger bodies go undiagnosed, which is devastating. I would love to be able to do keto because I think it has many health benefits and can help many people . But for me, even eating a large amount of food and avoiding fasting, keto causes weight loss which leads to the eating disorder. I hope that helps and that you have a much more positive experience than me!

(Donna) #91

Wowā€¦I am so empathising with ā€œI felt like deathā€ during refeeding protocol (including less running and eating energy-dense foods. Is zero-carb still working for you? I have been a relative ā€˜newbieā€™ in the keto-sphereā€¦but I am quite interested in increasing my running/time performance and wonder if ZC is superior to straight keto for this.

(Karim Wassef) #92

Great thread ā€¦ Iā€™m relatively new to the site so just discovered it.

Hereā€™s my experience going from 255 down to 165 and beefing back up to 185 with keto IF and EF:

The secret for me has been fat and salt. You can gain weight on keto but you need to find ā€œyour happy fatsā€. Basically, I give my body the option to burn exogenous fat instead of my own and 3000 cal OMAD seems to keep me in good balance (80% fat). If I go higher, I gain weight.

If I want more muscle, I add protein. If Iā€™m feeling week and need more energy, I add fat. My satisfaction always comes from saturated fat though. - the protein is a tool but if I go over, I get hungry again.

About eating veggies for hormesisā€¦ I think it depends. In my case, I measure my BG and ketones 4 or more times a day to gauge the effect of different activities. Iā€™m 45 and if a veggie is causing digestive stress after decades, I donā€™t think my body is going to get better at dealing with the inflammation or phytotoxins. I love some plants but they donā€™t love me back :frowning: ā€¦ same with dairy unless itā€™s been ā€œcorrectedā€ like Parmesan cheese. Fermented veggies work the same way for meā€¦ the bacteria and mold strip the carbs and toxins and convert it all to yummy goodness.

In fact, animals, fermenting bacteria and mold and mushrooms are all doing the same thing - naturally processing the phytonutrients in plants and stripping away the toxins and carbsā€¦

Love the thread and just wanted to share my experience.