Confused about Lactose and Fiber Carbs

(Erin Grontkowski) #1

I know I have heard the guys on the podcast talk about taking cream cheese and spreading it on a few bacon pieces as a snack; but cheese/milk products have lactose/carbs in it. How does your body process lactose (liver? does your whole body process it?), how does it affect weight loss, and should or shouldnt I include dairy in my diet? I have done low carb before and had been successful with it but i was exercising as well…so I am not sure how to get the most bang for your buck without adding exercize at the moment.
Lastly, I know some low carb diets remove the fiber and calculate the net carbs , is this how the keto diet works as well? or is the fiber included in the 25 carbs a day?
Thank you!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Hi Erin, I’m pretty sure lactose is the lowest of sugars as far as insulin response and sweetness, very low. Whether dairy affects weight loss for you is going to be dependent on whether your body has an inflammatory response or immune sensitivity to casein. Some do, some don’t. Generally most people can tolerate a certain amount without a lot of problems becoming evident, that amount varies from person to person.

The fiber thing is also variable. Some count a Total and some Net. Some count Total for and food you buy that’s already made of multiple ingredients or sugar alcohols and Net for stuff like vegetables. The majority just count Net. Start with Net, you can tighten up if it’s not working for you later. Good luck :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #3

Welcome to the forum Erin =).

Personally I have been using HWC and I think it might be a factor in my stalling, so I am now going to do a month trial without it and see if that helps =). I am still going to use Butter; however, but it doesn’t have the carbs and proteins, so many have told me that it should be okay. I am now eliminating all dairy except butter for a month though, to see if this helps the scale move again =). Everyone’s body is different though! Some people have no problems with dairy. I wasn’t having any adverse effects except I think it might be why I haven’t lost any weight in a while, as I haven’t cheated or anything.

Many of us on the forum try to stick to 20 grams of net carbs a day, no sugar, adequate proteins, healthy fats, and don’t worry about calories, no processed foods, no snacking, and eat enough!! Drink enough water and Electrolytes (salts) and you should be doing great =).

This is the best forum on the net, and if you need any other advice or have any questions, please ask, we want to help you succeed on your journey =).