Colonoscopy prep

(Marianne) #1

I have to schedule a colonoscopy. What do you do for the prep? Normally, they tell you to mix the powder with Gatorade or lemon lime pop? What is the best way to do this and stay on my keto? I don’t want to have a set back after working so hard.

(Raj Seth) #2

they have a sugar free version as well. mixes with water. Mine was MoviPrep
ask about it

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I’ve only ever been given stuff that is mixed with plain water.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

You could try crystal light.

(Scott) #5

Just had mine last week. Don’t sweat the sugar, it won’t be in long. It was a good excuse for a 40 hour fast. To those of you putting this (as I did) don’t. They found five pre-cancerous polyps and now looking back I was stupid to postpone. Next one in three years.

(Danielle) #6

When I did mine, I just mixed the powder with water and chilled it in the jug. I would recommend doing what your doctor tells you. It’s very important to do your colonoscopy prep properly in order to get the most accurate results from your test. Don’t deviate from your doctor’s recommendations without checking with your doctor first.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

I have to agree. Don’t deviate from their instructions. As a nursing student I watched quite a few of them during one of my rotation and those docs would take one look and see the person didn’t prep the way they were instructed and would say, “wake them up! They can reschedule and try again!”

I always felt bad for the patient but if they can’t do a proper exam what’s the point is how the docs looked at it.

(Marianne) #8

I’m glad they caught your polyps early. Going every several years is a small price for peace of mind. My last one was ten years ago. Just want to get it over with.

(Scott) #9

I think I will likely get a clean bill of health and get back on the ten year cycle.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Unless he’s encouraging you to drink a couple of liters of fructose. Demand something without sugar, my powder mix was lemonade with aspartame, no sugar.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Those solutions are designed to be isotonic, so they should go right through, nothing being absorbed.

(Marianne) #12

I had to look that word up. :thinking: I’ll ask the doctor, however, my first choice would be water followed by something with artificial sweetener.

(Esther) #13

I used POWERADE ZERO (orange) for my prep.

(KetoQ) #14

I had a colonoscopy in December, just added water to my prep. Follow instructions carefully.

Good luck.

(Marianne) #15

Got my colonoscopy tomorrow. Started the prep an hour ago and have drank four of the eight glasses required. Besides the obvious, drinking this stuff is disgusting. I wound up using cherry (clear) zero cal sports drink. I’m sure it has artificial sweetener, but I didn’t look to see what kind. Probably should have gone with plain water but I don’t know if I would have been able to get that down. Cherry is bad enough.

(KetoQ) #16

Don’t drink anything red or purple, it may be interpreted as blood in your colon.

(Marianne) #17

Yes, it’s clear cherry flavor. For real, I just threw up a little in the sink (couldn’t make it to the bathroom) - and I don’t have a vomiting reflex. This is so nasty. I have another 10 oz. that I have to finish, which was supposed to be before 7PM. I’ll try again at 7:30. My stomach hurts. I wonder if it is the artificial sweetener, or just being full up with this disgusting cocktail.

(Scott) #18

The worst part for me was waking up at 2:00 AM and drinking that crap.