Collagen benefits accidentally realized

(KM) #82

Thank you, Allie. This is the one supplement I’ve considered taking - I get loads of calcium in my dairy rich diet and probably not enough D and K2. Nice to have a recommendation for a good product, I think I’m going to try the Thorne research (drops).

(Bob M) #83

Just note that it’s vitamin K2, not K1.

Also, the food highest in K2? Natto. (Fermented soybeans) By a long shot. Cheese next. After that, I’m not sure.

(icky) #84

@PaulL I have a science question about collagen…

So, is collagen just made up of the same amino acids as other protein (like eating beef or chicken muscle meat) and our bodies break all incoming protein down into amino acids and then just build whatever tissues the body needs from that… and if you’re getting enough protein then additional collagen is theoretically irrelevant and needlessly expensive?

Or does it not all get broken down to amino acid level and so that inputting collagen into the body actually has an impact on how much collagen the body rebuilds?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #85

That is a great question, and while I don’t know for sure, since I haven’t looked into whatever research there is, I suspect it’s a little of both.

I know for sure that my nails and skin are better when I eat gristle along with my meat, so my guess is that if the collagen we consume is (a) needed and (b) is the same molecule as the collagen we need, then the body is very likely able to use it as is, without breaking it down and reassembling it. And if we are eating a diet abundant in meat, then sure, the body can make collagen from those amino acids, as well.

But there are so many needs for protein in the body, that a greater need somewhere else may prevent the body from making as much collagen as it ideally would want. Another factor, too, is that all proteins have a lifespan, which ranges from seconds to years, depending on the protein. So the body is always breaking down proteins (autophagy) and reassembling them (synthesis). I suspect that the collagen we ingest may be more or less usable, depending on how and when it was produced, and the human body has clearly evolved to utilise multiple pathways to achieve its goals.

Does that make sense?

(icky) #86

Yes, thank you - makes sense! :blush:

(Edith) #87

On the topic of anecdotal collagen benefits, I have been taking collagen in my tea for several months now. I am also taking MSM every day, so technically I have two unknowns here, but… I have noticed my skin integrity has improved a fair bit.

At 58, I finally went into menopause and it seems the second that happened a bunch of hair fell out and my skin just started sagging. For example, the skin around my knees looked like saggy elephant skin. Just within the past few days, I have noticed that the saggy skin around my knees is almost gone. I have not noticed any improvement with the hair, yet.

(KM) #88

I would say that’s me exactly. I’m not taking MSM, but having collagen in my coffee. (I am taking NMN, but that’s about mitochondria, not keratin, I don’t think it would be a significant variable.) Yeah, menopause. I had a “surgically induced” menopause and it was like someone pulled a plug on my body overnight.

With the collagen, I’ve noticed that my saggy skin is finally starting to tighten up a bit, not noticing much of a difference with hair.

(Robin) #89

I should be a paid advertiser for collagen, that’s how adamant and passionate I am about its benefits. For women especially.

(Doug) #90

Okay, you all have convinced me. I ordered some just now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smile::slightly_smiling_face:

(Mark) #91

That is funny Doug. I was thinking of doing the same.

(Doug) #92

Collagen peptides just came and I took my first dose and I don’t feel anything what’s going on?! :astonished::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Will report back in the coming months. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Robin) #93

The first sign will probably be a lot of women approaching you.

(Doug) #94

With baseball bats, knives, torches and pitchforks, as is the norm? :neutral_face:

(Doug) #95

3 weeks in, recommended amount is 20 grams per day - I’ve been doing about 15 in the morning, 15 in the evening. No bad effects, no noticeable effects at all… Until two days ago, perhaps.

My left knee is my ‘bad’ one. While it’s not urgent, and while I’m ‘fully functional,’ if I ever need a joint replaced, that’s almost surely going to be the first one. Been doing a lot of fairly strenuous work outside, digging, hoeing, moving 20 cubic yards or 15 - 16 cubic meters of wood chips, etc.

4 and 3 days ago - ‘bad’ - knee was hurting noticeably, to the point where I had a slight limp, unconsciously. Some irritation and swelling. Had it before, many times. Then 2 days ago things were much improved. Knee seemed ‘okay’ which is a rare thing these days. It occurred to me that I was moving faster, “like the old days” - meaning a substantial number of years ago.

Not saying it is because of the collagen supplement. Maybe it was just getting used to the outdoor exercise, maybe it was just the irritation/swelling going away, maybe it was just getting into a little better shape, overall. The placebo effect, random variation, etc. - I don’t know and it’s far too early to tell. But I do wonder, and am still feeling ‘better than normal,’ so will certainly continue.

(Robin) #96

Impressive that you may be seeing the effects in just weeks. I think it took a year for me to see all the benefits.

(icky) #97

I’ve been taking it 6 weeks and have noticed a definite improvement in my (menopausal) skin.

It’s slight - I don’t suddenly look 20 again, but it’s a definite improvement.

I’ve also had my shoulder pain resolve (tho I’ve been doing new physiotherapy excercises during that time span too, so that’s definitely not just down to the collagen, but I assume the collagen has helped. I’m really suprised by how much and how quickly my shoulder pain has improved.)

I’ve been having trouble feeding it to the dog… I saw the other thread about “fussy eater” pets and omg mine is the same… I’m loathe to put collagen in his food (making it even more expensive) and then have him reject it and leave it uneaten…

I need to find a snack/ treat type food for him, that I can add the collagen to, to get him to reliable eat it each day…