Collagen allergic reaction?

I’m actually wondering the same? All I wanted was to try and get my thinning hair to regrow.
May have to let it go?

It says on the label, only ingredient is collagen from (Bovine), there are no other ingredients

Ah, then I’ll leave any further advice to the experts. I just know that MCT does bad things to me!
Good luck :slight_smile:

I’m kinda at a loss here as to what to do. I think I’m going to just drop the collagen. Try some biotin instead?

At the end of the day, if collagen makes you feel like garbage then I’d avoid it. By all means try the biotin (some claim success with it) but if your hair loss is due to weight loss/hormonal imbalances then it will hopefully get better in time. Get enough protein, get enough rest and try not to stress - some of these are easier said than done I know :slightly_smiling_face: Some women will unfortunately see significant hair thinning with menopause but eating the right diet is still likely your best bet.

Thank you :pray:
I’m going to give the biotin a try. That is very true about if it’s worth it or not? I think it’s not worth it.
I started Keto to improve my overall body. I was trying this to see if maybe it could help my hair or skin? May just have to live with it? Well I’m 61, can’t expect miracles at this age :wink:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #28

@Lotus_Lane

Ingredients: Collagen Peptides, Coconut Medium Chain Triglycerides, Organic Alkalized Cocoa, Acacia Gum, Sea Salt, Organic Stevia

Provides an ideal 2:1 ratio of protein to fat with 10 grams of grass fed pasture raised collagen peptides hydrolysate (types I and III), 5 grams of MCT oil powder per ‘serving’

(GINA ) #29

I use collagen every day and have never had that experience, but we are all different.

I would probably wait a few days and try a smaller amount and see what happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

It’s a mistake to talk about protein being “metabolised” under normal circumstances. The energy cost of breaking down amino acids into something that can be converted into glucose or fat is prohibitive, except during an emergency such as starvation, when the body will actually hold on to fat and break down muscle first, until fairly late in the process. Glucose and fatty acids are much more easily metabolised. Proteins are easily broken down into their component amino acids, however.

So in general, dietary proteins are not metabolised, but broken down and their constitutents used for structural purposes, building new proteins for use in building muscle tissue, bone, other organs, etc. It is true that a small amount of amino acid is deaminated and turned into glucose by the liver (gluconeogenesis), but this is a very small part of our protein intake. The nitrogen liberated from the amino acids is either excreted or used to make nitric oxide to help regulate blood pressure.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

@TheOrangePimpernel Thanks for the link, the video is quite interesting. It seems like Masterjohn is proposing that collagen be viewed as another quasi-macro due to its very high glycine content and lower content of other amino acids. It lacks tryptophan entirely, but he doesn’t discuss that. I can see his point maybe it’s valid. In the video he displays links to more in depth discussion at chrismasterjohnphd.com which I will check out when I have time. Masterjohn appears most concerned about folks consuming relatively large amounts of collagen in lieu of more balanced protein from other sources. Hence his recommendation for amounts to consume, which is quite convoluted in my opinion. The bottom line for me and I think others who consume collagen for some specific health benefits is that it’s not a significant chunk of daily total protein intake. It’s supplemental. As long as it remains supplemental I see no issue counting it as part of my daily protein total, especially when it contains added tryptophan.

We’ve been here before:

By the way, Mark Sisson also thinks collagen should be it’s own macro:

@OldDoug The Masterjohn video linked above is a pretty good advert for the benefits of collagen! For me, I’m hoping it will help prevent arthritis and other joint issues. I already have some severe, long term problems in my lower back, so I’m hoping it might help a bit there, too. The most noticeable thing at the moment, however, is that my finger and toe nails grow really fast! So maybe things are trending in the right direction. I hope so. As noted I only consume a very small amount daily so I’m taking it slow and easy.

@Lotus_Lane If I were you, I’d cut the collagen for a few days until your heart returns to normal again. I’d also get a different collagen product without the MCT and with as few other ingredients as you can find.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #32

My bad. What I want to say is that whatever happens to protein, once it’s in the body and whatever gets done with it or to it is pretty much the same processes. The amino acids get used and your body doesn’t really care where they came from. The picky eaters got weeded out long ago.

I know that protein is a ‘fuel of last resort’.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #33

This is interesting, too:

Abstract

In a previous paper, we pointed out that the capability to synthesize glycine from serine is constrained by the stoichiometry of the glycine hydroxymethyltransferase reaction, which limits the amount of glycine produced to be no more than equimolar with the amount of C 1 units produced. This constraint predicts a shortage of available glycine if there are no adequate compensating processes. Here, we test this prediction by comparing all reported fl uxes for the production and consumption of glycine in a human adult. Detailed assessment of all possible sources of glycine shows that synthesis from serine accounts for more than 85% of the total, and that the amount of glycine available from synthesis, about 3 g/day, together with that available from the diet, in the range 1.5-3.0 g/day, may fall significantly short of the amount needed for all metabolic uses, including collagen synthesis by about 10 g per day for a 70 kg human. This result supports earlier suggestions in the literature that glycine is a semi-essential amino acid and that it should be taken as a nutritional supplement to guarantee a healthy metabolism.

:open_mouth:, So is this the ingredients in the collagen I’m using? Could any of those cause the palpitations?

(Allie) #35

My collagen scoop holds 10g and some days I use three or four of those without any bad effects, but only since I’ve been taking a daily vitamin K tablet because before that, after about a month of daily use I would always get migraines.

Collagen contains calcium which is where my body seems to have an issue as the same thing happens if I take calcium supplements. Vitamin K helps the body assimilate the calcium and in doing so means I can take the collagen without any issues.

Thank you, I will look at other brands. I did not know there were other ingredients? It just said ingredients hydrolyzed Collagen (Bovine)? It does not say it had mct oil or any other ingredients?
How can I know ingredients if they are not listed on the collagen package ingredients.
I’m kind of confused as what to do now?

What collagen brand do you use?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #38

I copied the list of ingredients from the web page you originally provided to Orgain Collagen Peptides. I think it was Amazon. I notice you’ve changed your link. The photo of the container is slightly different.

(Allie) #39

Collagen Powder 600g | Protein High Grade Unflavoured Hydrolysed Collagen Peptides | Made in The EU from Pure Bovine 100% Collagen Hydrolysate in Resealable Pouch by Nu U Nutrition https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076H512VG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DMF0K9GDVMXJJMBZH6X9

This is what I use at the moment.

(GINA ) #40

Remember back when Oprah lost a bunch of weight on some protein shake in the 80s or 90s, then a bunch of her followers did the same and some then some died of heart failure? If I am remembering correctly, it was because the protein in the shake was collagen and that was the only protein they were getting for extended periods of time. That damaged their hearts somehow. I don’t really remember all the details.

I have zero concern around that. I had a scoop of collagen yesterday, but I also had a skirt steak, some cheese, and some almonds.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

As noted, collagen is an incomplete protein. It’s missing tryptophan. So if you’re using it as your exclusive protein you’d better be supplementing tryptophan or you’re in deep poo poo very quickly. In addition, its amino acid profile is less then optimal, which would only add to the depth of poo poo. As described in Masterjohn’s video linked above, collagen is great stuff and provides some very necessary and healthy components, but it’s not suitable as an exclusive protein source. I suspect it got a bad rap from being used as such. In my opinion.