Coffee Question

(Joseph) #1

I tried UTFSE but couldn’t find anything so though I’d just ask real quick. Does drinking coffee with extra virgin coconut oil break my fast or this okay to drink while fast? I usually use 1 tablespoon with black coffee… Occasionally i’ll add some HWP.

(Andrew Anderson) #2

Some will advocate water only, others incorporate bone broth and black coffee. You get to choose your fasting approach. If some oil and such help you push through, you get to decide! Change it up, see how you feel. :blush:

(Joseph) #3

@Mr.A46221 thanks man! I’ll be kicking off this 20hr fast with this coffee and then I am headed to water/black coffee only!

(joseph) #4

for me, I think if you are going to start in go with what makes you fell comfortable. coffee, tea , water etc… there is plenty of time to get technical. Do what gets you through. I do know IF intermittent fasting, using windows, 18-6, 16-8, 20-4, gives really good results. Just don’t rush it. do it so it feels comfortable not stressful and you will have a good time and enjoy the results. good luck. keto on.

(Dustin Cade) #5

I’ve worked up to just fasting with water and salt… it’s a lot of mind over stomach really…

(Mike W.) #7

Ain’t that the truth…

(Jim) #8

I just finished my first 24 hour fast yesterday, 6pm to 6 pm water with salt and black coffee, but I felt like crap at around 22 hours and had a half acup of bone Broth that we had going, and felt great after that, but when I broke the fast at 6 I spent the next three hours eating everything I could… personal note don’t fast on Saturday night

(Rodney Gravitter) #9

I have often wondered this myself, and all of their answers are pretty spot on… It really does matter what works for you… I don’t know the science behind this …but to officially answer your question, I think that would technically break your fast as it is a calorie dense drink… I am not positive if it would halt all the benefits that you are looking for in a fast, but it is worth trying both with coconut oil and without.

-Rodney

(KB Keto) #10

Ive listened to some podcasts and read some articles - and it really depends! haha.

This one in particular - warning: it’s long and technical but it covers a lot of good information pertinent to keto and fasting plus more.

Some advocate water/black coffee/tea with no additives only while others will allow for fat only because it does not cause a significant enough spike in insulin to disable the fast.

Last Wednesday - I did my first 24 hour fast and went water/black coffee only and felt pretty good. When dinner time rolled along, I really could have skipped it… but dinner with wife and kid - i enjoy that when I can. The only time i felt any hunger pangs was early mid morning and some coffee and a few pieces of this black sea salt i have and it was over in like 30 minutes.

I suppose

(Joseph) #11

Where did you pick up black salt at?

(KB Keto) #12

World Market