Coffee drinkers

(Ken) #3

What and how you make it is just as important as how you drink it. I buy Tanzanian Peaberry green beans off Ebay. They are excellent in both light or dark roasts. For light roast, I roast in my popcorn popper until 30 seconds after the First Crack. For dark it’s considerably longer, until all the beans are very dark. There is a huge difference in flavor, the light being very Nutty, and the dark having a very rich Coffee taste.

For brewing, I fresh grind them in a small grinder, then use a stovetop Italian Mocha Brewer, but only use two expresso sized scoops. Since it’s a larger maker it produces six ounces of brew, but at coffee rather than expresso strength.

Then I add a couple of tablespoons of HWC and occasionally some flavoring syrup. Sometimes a splash of Whole Milk.

It’s a true simple pleasure.

It depends on the coffee. Breakfast blends I use less artificial sweeteners and less HWC. A coffee and chicory blend like you’d get at Café du Monde in New Orleans, I will use one more packet of AS and a bit more HWC.

I need to go back to New Orleans. :sunglasses:

(Jane) #5

First cuppa, heavy cream, stevia drops, a pat of butter and a scoop of collagen.

After that just stevia and cream.

Majority of the time, strong and black. I’ve been accused of making “sludge”, its so strong. But, I like the taste.

If I am doing OMAD, I will add a scoop of collagen, a chunk of coconut oil, and MAYBE some heavy cream.

On my days off, an afternoon treat is a flavored coffee with cream. I do have some Hawaiian Peaberry coffee I’ve been saving for a special occasion. =)

Arrabica black, plunger.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

I drink a liter of what I call ‘keto coffee’ each morning. I cold brew the coffee for 24 hours in a 4-liter glass vase with the grounds suspended in a brewer’s ‘dry hopper’. I grind beans and also use pre-ground coffee. I enjoy trying different blends and have several I use frequently. After brewing, I siphon the coffee into a couple of 2-liter wide-mouth mason jars and then keep in the fridge.

The keto part is a mix of whey and collagen powders, MCT and coconut oils, ghee and whipping cream to my current macros. I use a countertop blender with a liter mason jar to mix the protein and fat ingredients with 2.5 grams of Himalayan salt into the hot coffee.

I also use an Espro micro mesh French press occasionally, when I forget/neglect to make cold brew on schedule.

Question from first timer
(Troy) #9

No additives, no cream, no MCT , no butter, no sweeteners, no collagen, no syrups… :smile:
Has to be iced or room temperature ( Nitro usually )

Iced Americano
Iced Black Coffee
Cold Brew Black

And Nitro Cold Brew unsweetened black :heart_eyes:
Yummy!!

Occasionally now one can get the Starbucks can nitro for $2.50-$3.50 locally at Walmart or grocery stores ( 9 oz I think )
Ymmv

And Btw, I hate coffee😂

(Allie) #10

Sweetened coffee is vile, I stopped accepting sugar in my drinks when I was nine years old :grinning:

Currently, at home, heavy cream, salt, ghee, collagen powder and coffee all zapped together in the nutribullet.

At work, heavy cream and salt (and instant coffee).

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #11

These days usually just HWC, or black. I’ve also recently discovered half coffee, half soda water. This is also sometimes with cream, sometimes without. I thought the idea was weird when I first heard it, but I like it! Another thing I haven’t done in a while but should, is add chili pepper to the grounds before brewing. Nice spicy coffee!

(Allie) #12

Cinnamon is good too, if you’ve not tried it. Also cayenne pepper.

I automatically do IF… Except if I eat before bed but still, I always fast in the morning. So my coffees before lunch are usually black. I can’t stand bitterness so my coffee is the least bitter kind I can find and I drink them super weak (it’s helpful anyway when one doesn’t want to spend a fortune on the not really needed coffee and easily drink 10 a day. I had days when my water came mostly from coffee but it’s significant anyway.)

My better coffees have heavy cream (2-3ml per cup/mug is perfect) and optionally eggs.
I don’t always have cream and only egg isn’t perfect but doable, I may add a little butter. But cream is so much better, I usually use that. Sometimes I don’t even care about fasting.
I use cream only since several months, my coffees only had eggs before but I don’t like that anymore.

Now I am drinking my first coffee, it’s black. Well, brown :slight_smile: Weak as usual.

I only drink instant coffee (yeah, maybe it has more calories and even carbs, never figured it out, I don’t even care), one of the cheapest kind. I am quite happy with that for some reason. Normal coffee is troublesome without a machine and it’s coffee, I stop drinking it before I would complicate my life with such a thing. I am so not choosy if it’s about my coffee, I have that with zillion other things…

Cream is the main stuff but I can add vanilla, cocoa too. I dislike cinnamon in coffee.
And a normal coffee doesn’t need sweetening. Sometimes I put a lot of sweetened whipped cream in it, that’s the exception, it doesn’t happen every month… So much sugar (and garbage and I only do cream shopping once in 2 months)… For some reason, whipped cream is another world, I use it galore or at least would like… 5ml not whipped cream would be way too much but if it’s whipped… 50-100-200… I could eat it so easily but it would cause problems.

I tried gelatin too. Nice foam and completely tasteless so nope.

I keep my added fat intake as low as possible but I find coffee with fat gross anyway. It probably works if cream, egg or something similar is present but it’s so unneeded, I need to lower my calories, not raising it without doing anything with my satiation. Me and added fat, we don’t get along. But I don’t want fatty coffee anyway, I need whiten it somehow, with some tasty stuff :smiley:

(bulkbiker) #14

One of my ex T2 twitter pals put all the “helpful” spices into her coffee mix so cinnamon, turmeric etc etc and she claims its really nice… I remain unconvinced…

(Allie) #15

I’ve tried turmeric as it’s highly recommended, but doesn’t work for me. The cinnamon is quite nice though.

I’ve used a raw egg yolk in the past but since having my hens, I won’t do anything that just uses yolks as I can’t face wasting the whites now I know how much effort each egg takes.

Also tried cacao butter but coffee and chocolate just don’t work together for me.

I would never ever waste a single white or yolk, I eat up them all :slight_smile: It doesn’t mean I don’t use them separately.
In the past I used only yolks in my coffee myself but nowadays it’s whole eggs to make things simpler. It’s similar enough and I surely have no problem with ruining some biotin. I use single yolks in several of my dishes so I prefer not having even more leftover whites even though I have lots of options to use them up and they freeze well.

You know, one thing I neglected to mention in my previous post was the Liquid Chicken Latte. I’ve done that one for years, much to the chagrin of my family. Its a fast breakfast or snack, though.

1-2 raw eggs
hot coffee
heavy cream
a teensy bit of sweetener (I use Sweet n Low or Liquid stevia)
Blast the hell out of it with the immersion blender and Voila!

Variations include the pumpkin pie version- with a 1/3 c pumpkin puree and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. The combination of the eggs and the pumpkin make it so creamy and rich. I have that instead of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

(Allie) #18

I can never find a use for just the whites and just can’t face wasting them.

(charlie3) #19

Ice coffee as follows
Warm the water by pouring through the coffee maker. Grind beans (costco), pour into empty bottle. Add warm water and steep for a couple minutes then top off with cold water and steep for some more time. Then pour that through a metal mesh filter in the coffee maker to strain out coffee grounds. Pour filtered coffee back into the bottle and refrigerate. Next pour coffee in to stainless mug, add stevia and heavy cream and put in the freezer a few hours before drinking. Finally add ice and drink–my ambrosia.

Exactly. That’s what I do, well I skip the sweetener unless I use whipped cream :smiley: (I use erythritol or xylitol, the latter is waaaay better but net carbs). Heavy cream is already sweet to some extent, it is enough for me at this point.
But that is some fancy dessert to me, my normal zillion coffees are simple.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #21

I’ve heard such conflicting things about raw egg whites that laziness just took over… if I put eggs in my coffee with the cream it is the whole dang egg.

If I painted more often I could use the whites in the paint. It is nice for glowy translucent colors. Or use a whole egg in home made tempura paints. But rice flour and egg whites make a nice paint base… hmmmm… It may be time to get to work.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #22

What is your approximate grounds to coffee ratio? How long do you steep once topped off with cold water? I love the idea of cold brew, but haven’t been terribly successful, so would love your input.

I do refrigerate any leftovers from my French press (on days when I don’t have time to linger over a pot of coffee,) and have it cold in the afternoon. Especially on hot subtropical summer days.