Coffee Confused!

I’m using Carb Manager to get started tracking. Everything seems to make sense, but my question is coffee. “Kirkland Signature Pacific Bold K-Cup Coffee” comes up as 0 carbs and 2 calories. However, “Pacific Bold Coffee by Kirkland Signature” comes up as 2 NET carbs and 5 calories. (As far as I can tell, there is no Pacific Bold “grounds” style coffee by them, just the cups.) The first was in the system as “branded food” and the second was entered by a user. Obviously that is a pretty decent difference on the carbs. I looked online and it seems to mesh with the user entry, but am I missing something? And if it is that off with coffee, is Carb Manager really the best tool?

(And don’t worry. I don’t always use the cups, but I had two today at a work meeting and had to do a double take at the carbs!)

(John) #2

Black coffee is generally 0 carbs. It does have a few calories, but those are mostly from monounsaturated fat and protein.

Nutritionix is a good lookup tool:

(Amanda) #3

If it’s just plain coffee (not a fancy “cream and sugar” beast) I thought there were 0 net carbs (2.2 carbs -2.2 fibre according to Cronometer). I’m interested to see what others think.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Recently @carl reported on the two keto dudes podcast that with a CGM he noticed a BG spike from one of the brands of coffee he was drinking.

I’m not sure what to do with this but I drink like 4 to 6 cups a day. I am a self medicating ADHD person. When I get back from vacation I’m thinking I will ween myself from coffee and then see if that makes a difference in my fasting.

(John) #5

I am not a K-cup user, so I am not sure how it works exactly. I just use a top-of-cup cone filter and pour hot water over the grounds.

Espresso, on the other and, DOES have about 2g carbs per shot, because it is extracted under pressure and not just water running through the grounds. If the K-cups work in the same manner, then they may in fact contain a carb or two.

Interesting. I never drink espresso (can’t imagine how much I would be wired after one of those!) but now you have me wondering about the mechanics of the Keurig. I think I better consult with Professor Google :wink:

Yes, always black. I like my tea unsweetened, too. There was a story not long ago about people who like black coffee (bitter drinks/foods) being similar to psychopaths. I was like, “WTH?!!! (pause) Filler 'er up.”

(Bob M) #8

Do you know if he verified that through multiple tests, even at different times per day? I would think it’s likely something other than the coffee, but it’s possible it could be the coffee.

(John) #9

Yeah - I actually discovered as a result of Googling to help answer your question, that my Grande Americano from Starbucks is 6g of carbs :frowning: :cry:

(John) #10

I like black coffee, straight bourbon, and dark beers. That means I’m a psychopath? I thought it just meant that I was old and my taste buds need stronger flavors to be stimulated?

I also like cookies, vanilla milkshakes, and caramel - none of which I consume any longer. Maybe I have a split personality, and only one of them is a psychopath?

It was a far cry from scientific, but it amused me: https://www.health.com/food/black-coffee-psychopath

Yikes!

Hmm, found this online and it sounds to me like it is not put through pressure in the cup itself:

1. Once a brew size button is pressed, water is pumped through pressurized hoses into the heating chambers. Here the water is heated to the optimal temperature required to create the best-tasting coffee.
  2. After the water reaches coffee-brewing temperature, the water passes into a hose at the top of the brewer.
  3. Here, the brewer houses an opening piece in which K-Cups are inserted.
  4. Once the K-Cup is in place, the opening piece is depressed and shut.
  5. Upon doing this, small pins pierce the K-Cup to deliver the heated water and to distribute the freshly brewed coffee. One small pin punctures the foil lid, thus releasing hot water into the K-Cup. Another small pin punctures the bottom plastic layer, thus allowing the just-brewed coffee to pour straight into your mug!

I really hope my glorious, warm, beautiful coffee is as safe as I thought!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

I do drink espresso but not true high pressure extraction, I use a stovetop bialetti. Anyway I find espresso less “jangly “ than light roast American style coffee. The dark roasting of the beans burns off some of the caffeine and although very strong tasting it satisfies me in a smaller serving than a bunch of cups of weak coffee. And with HWC, rich and satisfying even as a lunch replacement.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

As long as you’re not a CICO-path, lol!!! :grinning:

(Running from stupidity) #17

I think we have our share and can’t take any more, currently.

I drink coffee - therefore I am.

No confusion. As you say Filler 'er up

(Donna Peterkin) #19

I hadn’t thought of that. Did you find out anything? I drink like 6 pods a day.

It does not seem like the Keurig process is the same as some large, pressurized coffee-making systems.

I found this: https://www.livestrong.com/article/429227-nutritional-information-for-keurig-k-cups/

(Donna Peterkin) #21

Thank you