Cod Wrapped in Cured Pork Fat

cod
guanciale
pork
fish
fat

In this recipe, I used cured pork jowl (called “guanciale”). If you don’t have access to cured guanciale, you can use prosciutto (basically another fatty part of the pig that has been cured). Note that I did not use a smoked pork product, like bacon, because the smoke flavour will overpower the delicate taste of cod.

First start with slicing the cured pork jowl. Here’s what it looked like in its package.

Skin side up (notice the string still attached…as the pork jowl is hung during the curing process)

Fat side up

Making slices

Create pork fat slice base

Get piece of fresh cod filet

Cut fish to create an even long piece. Place on pork fat base.

Salt and pepper fish, and add a line of fresh sage leaves

Roll the fish in the pork fat

Place roll in pan with a bit of melted lard, on medium high heat

Flip roll to get even cooking on all sides

Plating with a dollop of Dijon mustard

The pork fat should be cooked through but still soft, and the fish should flake apart easily and appear very moist

The perfect forkful - fish, cured pork fat and Dijon mustard

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

Can I just come live there and have you cook for me?

If you agree to wash the dishes, we have a deal! :grinning:

32 day ZC Variable Protein Test

That the deal my wife and I have. We share, she cooks and I do the dishes. The strange part is, the kids eat and neither cook nor clean.

Are you admitting to the fact that your kids are smarter than you are? :wink:

Or my wife loves my kids more. I’m not sure which is the true case.

(Richard Morris) #7

I spent the day trying to get guanciale or fresh pork jowls/cheeks … it turns out that in Canberra Restaurants buy them all up before anyone else can get them. Luckily I know a guy with 3 chef hats … so I will get some fresh and cure it into guanciale myself.

Best we could get was some blue eyed cod and some shaved speck. The girl at the deli sliced it way too thin but it worked out pretty good. The smokiness did overwhelm the fish so it was like bacon flavoured fish … but as I found out that’s a good thing.

Hi all, new to forum and sort of new to KETO

Omg, that looks so delicious, Richard! Good call on using speck instead.

Funny how those darn chefs buy up the entire guanciale inventory. The fat is much more delicate and softer…in fact, as I was slicing it, I had to be careful holding it as the heat of my fingers was melting through the guanciale! It’s like holding and slicing butter.

(Richard Morris) #9

Found a trick - let it sit in the fridge overnight before frying and it’ll hold it’s shape much better

Same meal the next day but the fish was better for having spent overnight in the fridge wrapped in parchment.

Fabulous trick, Richard! Thank you for that…I will definitely do that next time! :grinning::+1: