Coconut Oil Quality?

So, is there anything special I should know about purchasing coconut oil? Like do i need to look for a certain kind (extra virgin or whatever lol) Because I found the following 300g bottle for 3.77 (Can $) which is wicked cheap (i think because it was in the international section) and the ingredients were just coconut oil. There’s a part of me that feels if im not paying over $10 a bottle it must be garbage.

(Allie) #2

I shy away from the cheaper versions as the way they’re processed often involves solvents and other nasty chemicals. Always worth paying for quality as I see it.

(German Ketonian) #3

This is a deodorized (meaning thermically extracted) or chemically treated version, most probably. Better invest more money and air on the side of caution. Especially if the label keeps quiet…

coconut oil is just like olive oil, can be virgin, or a single press oil. We have little villages here that will have a press block for squeezing coconuts they are crude and perfect and very cool to see. I would agree that the lack of info on the label tells me good chance it is a refined oil.

Ok, thanks for the imput. I will keep buying the good stuff. I knew something must be different or “off” but wasn’t sure what exactly the difference might be.

(Candy Lind) #6

Refined oil is not necessarily bad; in fact, if you want to fry with it and not have things taste coconutty, it must be refined. You just have to find out how it’s done. Most reputable companies are up front about methods.

why did you tag me on that, just wondering?

(Allie) #8

You never know HOW it’s been refined though.
I use extra virgin for cooking too as the flavour doesn’t bother me.

Refined coconut oil tastes less like coconuts if that flavor bothers you.

Unrefined is less processed and retains much more of the natural coconut flavor. People use each for different things if you have a preference.

(Candy Lind) #10

Oh, just because you were the one to point out that you have to watch the processing methods. I should have tagged @Mangusdog, too.

i answered a question that yes cocnut oil can be called virgin, but all is good!

(Candy Lind) #12

Sorry, I grabbed part of the wrong reply. It’s been a long 3 days! :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

It is all fine, I ask because I forget what I post sometimes. Need to raise my cholesterol