Coconut oil causing nausea - any ideas why?

reading that it might cause candida die-off etc. (did a lot of protocols in the past which should have killed candida overgrowth off)
the brand I use is costco organic which seems to be decent.
I tried around a tablespoon couple times, and every time I get hit with mild nausea and a low grade headache on occasion
any good reason this might be happening?

Some of us do not handle coconut oil well. I don’t and avoid both it and MCT. Both of these cause me stomach issues.
I eventually went carnivore so it’s a moot point now, but even when keto I had to cut coconut oil

(Christian) #3

Same problem here when consuming one or two tablespoons of coconut oil on empty stomach. Several years ago I was diagnosed with an inflammation in the duodenum and candida. I believe that this is still there and the onset of nausea is ~30 minutes after intake of the coconut oil, the time it takes for food to pass through the stomach. Not sure if in my case nausea is a good or a bad sign…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Some people have problems starting to add coconut oil and MCT. Any food your digestion isn’t familiar with can cause this. For some it’s meat and animal fat coming off a vegan or very low fat diet. You can skip it or try introducing like a teaspoon a day and most people’s digestion adapts. One of two tablespoons can be disastrous if your digestion doesn’t know what to do with it. It’s a pretty common issue in places that don’t use coconut oil as part of their traditional diet. People in SE Asia generally don’t have issues as those fats are pervasive in local cuisine and have they have been consuming them since early childhood in coconut milk or as a frying medium. I lived in Indonesia for a while and that’s about the only fat used for cooking there. Fortunately I had no reaction to it myself. Don’t consume it straight on an empty stomach for sure until you adapt if you choose to keep it. :cowboy_hat_face:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

I also have difficulty digesting straight coconut oil. It tends to be much less of an issue when I’ve mixed it into almond flour for a keto mug cake or used it in conjunction with other oils for cooking. Maybe that would work?

It also makes me itch if I apply it topically. Maybe that’s a good way for us to test it first? I want coconut oil in my life, but I avoid it mostly.

(Christian) #6

Coconut oil is antibacterial and fungicidal. So in my case it may be a medicine and create nausea like a germicide may irritate…