Coconut Butter

(Monterey West) #1

Is there a difference between coconut butter and coconut oil? I saw coconut butter in the grocery store next to peanut butter. Looked like it was higher in carbs than the oil but the only ingredient listed was coconut butter.

(matt ) #2

Coconut Oil vs Coconut Butter

Coconut oil is JUST the oil that is extracted from the meat. Coconut butter is the whole meat of the coconut pureed into a creamy butter.

(David K) #3

And is soooooo good. I would avoid it.

(Karen Fricke) #4

Coconut butter is really good in fat bombs. Use it in place of almond butter.

(jketoscribe) #5

Coconut butter in jars is really expensive!

You can make it yourself if you have a high powered blender from dried, shredded coconut. Google recipes (not all that easy to make, IMHO as it takes quite a while to turn into coconut butter and it’s a pain to clean up after grinding).

You can also buy a brand called “Let’s Do Organic” Creamed Coconut. It’s exactly the same stuff as coconut butter (also sometimes called coconut manna) but it only costs about $2.99 for the same amount you’ll pay $8 to $12 for in a jar. It’s in a vacuum sealed bag packed in a cardboard box. Warm and knead the bag and pour it into your own jar (or I pour it into silicone molds for handy serving-size amounts since it’s MUCH thicker and more difficult to spoon than nut butter once it cools. You may find it in a local health food store and I think I read that Target is carrying it now. Here’s what to look for:

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Creamed-Coconut/dp/B00113ZZ5U?th=1

(Monterey West) #6

Thank you for all the info and tips

(Aloy ) #7

I used a vitamix and I was surprised how easy it was so make (only annoying to get the butter out from around the blade part). Just use the thumper to push the coconut flakes down. It’s delicious!! In case you feel like experimenting http://paleomagazine.com/how-to-make-coconut-butter/
Enjoy :smiley:

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

…it’s crack. Fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

Coconut butter is more like peanut butter, and it has the fat plus the pulp. It’s high in both fat and fiber. It is way cheaper if you make it.

I bought the coconut manna jars recently for $5 each which is a pretty good deal. If you have a Vitamix or food processor, you can easily make it if you are so crafty. Just remember to stir it - it naturally separates.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #10

[quote=“janknitz, post:5, topic:4999”]
a brand called “Let’s Do Organic” Creamed Coconut. It’s exactly the same stuff as coconut butter (also sometimes called coconut manna)
[/quote] Thank you, thank you, thank you! I bought this thinking it was coconut butter, but have hesitated opening it, wondering what it was I bought!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

They lie like rugs about coconut butter being spoonable at room temperature, though. I have to warm my jar on the stove for twenty minutes before a spoon comes out of there alive. Otherwise, it’s hammers and chisels just to get a snack. Snort!

(eat more) #12

a workout is your toll for a treat
it is a pain to stir…just like almond and peanut butter only more challenging and you have to stir every dang time lol

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

I believe coconut evolved to be difficult to eat as a survival mechanism, like shells on turtles.

(jketoscribe) #14

Next time you soften it, pour it into an ice tray or silicone mold. Pop it in the freezer. Now you have serving sized chunks that are much easier to warm up. I store the chunks in a glass jar in the fridge (mine does soften in the summer because we have no ac).

Here’s one way I eat it:
Gently warm up one or two chunks in a bowl. Toss frozen berries in it and some nuts and stir. It gets hard and “crispy” around the frozen fruit but soft elsewhere. I like this for breakfast on a hot summer morning.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

This is genius. My house doesn’t get above 64 degrees but I’m gonna do the chunks thing.

(Catherine ) #16

has anyone tried coconut butter in their bulletproof coffee?

(Jan) #17

I liked the flavor, but it made it kinda gritty. Especially towards the bottom of the cup.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

Yeah, it does that to fat bombs, too. (sigh)

(Bacon for the Win) #19

I like to toast the coconut before making the butter. Couple of bites and I’m good.

(Michelle) #20

Thanks for asking about this. I’ve seen coconut butter in some recipes, but didn’t know exactly what this was. This thread is helpful.

I’m not quite sure after reading this though… are people recommending it? or discouraging it?