Cleaning up the fat

(Max Scotthorne) #1

Hi all, my wife has asked if anyone has any good tips for getting rid of the grease and fat from the cooking trays/utensils?

(KM) #2

I tend to reuse mine, pouring it off into a jar while it’s still liquid. I also keep a jar or can for grease that’s too nasty to reuse, so at least I’m throwing away one can a week or so instead of pouring that all that down the drain.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Not good for your drains to pour fat down them. Bacon fat is great to cook with. We generally make gravy out of the pan drippings when we make beef.

As for cleaning the pans, pour off the grease you’re going to save, let the rest solidify, and then scrape it into the garbage. You can wipe off the pans with paper towel before cleaning.

If you cook with cast iron, the pans only need to be wiped down and rinsed; they should not be exposed to soap. This helps make them non-stick after a few uses.

(Pete A) #4

Eat it! Straight from the pan or add it to veggies etc…

Hot water and soap don’t wait to wash them. Once you let it sit and it goes to hell on you scrape/wipe it out first, then wash. But you really shouldn’t have any more than you would have pre keto unless you’re going nuts with the fat.

(Robin) #6

I live in a nearly 100 year old house. Even if I wash grease out quickly with very hot water and soap, at some point it will cool… I don’t risk it. I waste a few paper towels instead.

(Assuming it’s not something I want to refrigerate and use later.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I’ve been known to drink bacon grease, once it’s cooled enough, but before it solidifies, and also to scrape pan drippings up with a spoon and eat them. Yum!

(Max Scotthorne) #8

Hi @robintemplin, tell me about it. Our house is a 1919 coal miners house we certainly get chilly over here, though it’s not too bad today only minus 6 degrees Celsius.

(Robin) #9

Ours is 1923. But was greatly rehabbed a few years ago and is now tight as a drum. The house has been re-plumbed, but I doubt the line to the water main is.

A coal miners house! How cool, historically speaking!

(Max Scotthorne) #10

Yeah, they are pretty common over here. My dad was a coal miner and I work as a health and safety officer in an engineering company that still supplies a coal mine in Wales.