Clean Carnivore Crew, January 2022

zerocarb
carnivore

(Mary Donovan) #362

Question: is there a certain amount of fluids I should be having each day?? I only drink water now. Thanks!!

I ate at 18:40. It was interesting to be hungry for a while but it wasn’t pleasant in the end. Nothing too bad but I hardly can focus on things in that state.
My food was just like yesterday just a bit more. And I had a little cheese and tried the head cheese. Not the best, too much fat, too little paprika and meat… Not bad, per se, I will eat my share, it’s variety but I won’t buy it again. I prefer my pork belly and jowl. Or bresaola if I ever see it again, the only supermarket that had it according to my knowledge stopped having it some months ago.
Or tongue, I am looking forward to it, I cook it tomorrow!
Still below half a pound of proper meat but with the processed once I am over :smiley: I can’t eat much meat if I use really fatty items. Over 1900 kcal, slightly over 100g protein, it was a decent meal this time! Could be better, it’s a tad too fatty (78% again) but I have these very fatty items right now. It felt good and I could get satiated with just this much protein.

Today Alvaro expressed his desire to try steak one day… 2022 should be the year. We did something with some beef once (we totally had no idea what we were doing and we didn’t have the proper steak cuts as they were expensive and we just tried out beef from a farm. and it was good enough especially the stew. I still prefer beef as stew but I have not much experience) but we definitely will check out some proper place where proper chefs prepare proper cuts properly… There are a few steak houses nearby… With bigger steaks and bacon and eggs as side dish… Sounds nice.

@VirginiaEdie: Yes. We both hate paperwork… I mean, way more than the average person. And poor one barely has any info in his own brain about the accident and he sent everything he had… His lawyer helped a lot too… But nope, it’s still not enough for the insurance company. But it should be close to the finish now! :smiley: Right?

Oh yes, I had not much appetite problems after my 27 and 23.66 hour fasts the last two times :smiley: I still didn’t feel a huge urge to eat (apart from not feeling right without food) but no force was needed for sure and I had some moderate amount of joy. I had many worse days in January.

@MaryD223: We need enough water but it’s not so easy to tell how much is needed… It depends. Probably 2 liters a day is nice in many cases…? I personally drink to thirst, it works well, I always was good at drinking water. It’s lucky as I would hate to bother with it and I can’t measure my intake (I probably could learn quickly if it would be vital).
Of course water in our food counts too. It’s usually little in my case as I typically eat well-cooked and fatty food but it may be quite significant.
(It was so long ago I ate soup… It was very important for me and I still like it but I can handle weeks without it now, apparently. I just noticed it now… When I was a kid, I had soup for every lunch as it’s normal here.)

(Karen) #364

Yes it is a bit odd isn’t it. I have had high BP since having babies in my late 20’s if not before.

My resting heart rate is always between 45 & 55 on the rare occasion it has raised to 57.

Your BP is very low. Have you spoken to a doctor about it because it can be just as dangerous in the low ranges as the high! Do you ever experience dizziness with it so low?

Today I took my BP prior to leaving the house at 6am and it was 130/68 which the cardiologist said would be ok (under 140) when I arrived at work at 7.15 it had risen to 182/76 and just prior to leaving work at 11.15 it was 182/75 and I hadn’t actually done any work, just chatted to a friend. I have been told by my pharmacist that its okay spiking so long as it comes back down relatively quickly but it didn’t today.

(Karen) #365

Hahaha no where near 4% lol I am 9 stone (126lbs/57kg ) and about 21%bf. I have quite a muscular/athletic appearance. I have never been able to get my bf any lower and not entirely sure I want it any lower. When my first husband walked out on me and the kiddies I lost so much weight as I just couldn’t eat anything. I was probably much lower during that traumatic time but I went to just skin and bone and couldn’t bear looking in the mirror. Hated seeing bones sticking out everywhere and my face just was so gaunt. I was just under 8 stone and I really looked dreadful. Hooe I never look that way ever again.

(Robin) #366

I don’t think so? Just don’t skimp on water. You can sip all day long and be good.

(Karen) #367

Yes I am finding splatters of poop here and there on my new back yard lol and yes I thought bugger but then said to myself what do you want? … if you want the animals and birds visiting this will be the result hahaha funny you should mention it too.

You are 100% right that I should let it go right over my head with just a few nods and ’ i hear ya’s ’ i was stunned at just how tired i was to be honest, its the head more than the body! Getting lots of support at work though and everyone has been coming over like I am a celeb hahaha funny I never think of myself as popular but realise I am maybe just well respected by my colleagues. I have been a bit of a work mum to a few of the younger ones and they have said they missed me … that is very sweet. Yes I am definitely putting me first at the mo and not rushing this work malarkey! Never thought it could also be the meds… I thought they might put me some weight on but affecting my mindset and wear and tear?

(Robin) #368

So good to hear!

(Karen) #369

Horrid nights sleep last night… seems to be one good one bad at the mo ! Work day today and was in for 3 hours not counting the extra hour from getting to work before all the traffic got clogging up the roads and getting a parking space too. I was up at 4.45am and did those 100 flights of stairs before going in. They weren’t too bad having had little sleep but that is generally what happens… if I am in bed too long I am so stiff that they feel very hard. As I said earlier in a reply I just spent the time chatting to my friend. She is suffering with long term covid … 19 months in ! She was the first one to catch it at our prison back in March 2020! Bless her it has affected a congenital condition she didn’t even know she had so she is getting problems from every direction. However that said she was at all negative and imparted some useful info apparently medical retirement is discretionary and management usually prefer to get rid 7nder medical inefficiency! I am going to give it to my birthday and then decide whether I will stay another year or retire a year early. I have to think of me now. No good saving my money for my retirement if I am not going to be around to enjoy it!

Didn’t eat till I got home and tbh wasn’t overly hungry but decided i had to eat so tucked into the cooked roast chicken. I am not so keen on the breast and thats all that was left… so be it had some cheese too. Later I tucked in yo a bit more of the chicken but it is hard to eat breast when not having mayo with it and I have managed to cut that out completely this month.

I will be in bed very soon. My body aches from the CrossFit on Tuesday all those push ups and the rowing. My backside hurts and between my shoulder blades and my abs were feeling it in the bath this morning! All good hurting of course.

Thinking of speaking to my doctor about a meditation course to help with my anxiety and BP, see if I can get on one through the NHS. Also thinking of doing yoga or pilates again. My local gym does lots of classes and they do hot pilates which would be nice at this cold time of the year! Must get on and do it though, not just talk the talk. I have always fancied going on a yoga retreat holiday but if course now I am carnivore I don’t think they would be able to cater for my dietary needs lol … arent they all veggies and vegans? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

(Linda ) #370

While I was in nebraska I bought a anova oven but never opened it until today I got it so I can cook cheap cuts of meat like top and bottom round and chuck roasts on sous vide mode, and ribs when don’t want to smoke them

So cooking bottom round for lunch tomorrow.

Lunch today was strip steak and shrimp/lobster salad on the side
Dinner will be flanken ribs.
Had blood work taken today so i never got to eat first meal til 2pm.

You are a woman, 21% sounds quite good to me.
4% is for male professional body builders at a competition… 10% is pretty cool from them out of competition (hobby bodybuilders should be glad keeping that level too) but we women would probably die there. Women doing certain sports seriously go way below 20% but that’s a special thing and not necessarily healthy but it’s about competition… Something like that, I am bad with numbers and read long ago about these but I can’t be very off. I remember the 4 and 10% from the times I was hanging in the bodybuilder section of a forum :slight_smile: IDK what pro bodybuilder women has when they do it naturally but it’s not us either, it’s a special world.

IDK how tall you are but 57kg definitely can’t be much. It sounds good. I am 163 cm but I would like to weigh more than that when I slim down, I want muscles :smiley: 57kg would be nice for me now but I am not muscular. I have some as I am a bit heavy, I lift since some time and I never was some weakling hating to exercise (though I still don’t do much. oh the good old times when I walked 70km a week and it was just the minimal amount I needed, nothing special. going to work and a tad extra because I felt the need… or when I regularly took 30-40km walks in the mountains. tiny Hungarian mountains and I was slow and it took 8-10 hours but still, it’s something. my 5km tiny walks are just the bare minimum, I feel pretty sedentary, I am sitting all day).

(Daisy) #372

Day 21: meal one was a couple small lamb chuck chops and a burger patty. Plus bone broth jello. Lunch was burger patties. The rare dinner was a tbone. Sleep last night: Supplements: 200 mg 5-htp and 400 mg magnesium glycinate taken right before bed. In bed at 10:12. On back, with prayer and deep breath. Took at least 30 minutes to fall asleep. Awake a couple times but didn’t get out of bed the first time until 1:47. Felt a little anxious and crampy. Took my glucose and it was 95. Peed and back to bed. Was awake a few more times but not out of bed again until alarm went off at 6. Packed my husband’s lunch and laid back down (not sleeping) until 6:52

(Edith) #373

How does it work in sous vide mode? I haven’t wanted to get a sous vide because I don’t want to cook my meat wrapped in plastic.

(Linda ) #374

It uses steam you can use bagged or unbagged like you I didn’t like the idea of plastic either

(Will) #375

I kind of feel the same way. I like the idea of a new way to cook meat but coking my food in plastic is not something I can get myself on board with.

Great posts to read.

Cool on that Anova oven…never heard of it, I am going to check it out on google for sure.

@VirginiaEdie
OMG that was me…gonzo for a long time then boom, here the stupid monthly comes back and crazy sporadic. I was like 53 when all that PIA stuff went down. Yes hormones. Do not even give that scale one look point blank. Just eat normal. Don’t ‘try to correct’ nature, this is SO much a normal thing, just ride it thru til that day, boom, that sucker never comes back and later down the line ya think…WOW…SO HAPPY that is over :slight_smile:

@Karen18
So sorry on your friend. Covid did that. Brings out alot of medical issues that some have and didn’t even know and that truly is what puts the death rate up so much. Affecting medically challenged people. Very sad situation for her.

and YES…what she said is true. You really might wanna sit down and do a ‘life overhaul’ on ya K :slight_smile: Only cause if you wanna truly retire early on disability or ?? however you can wangle it all, think hard on it. Our life is our health. Money can’t truly buy time on this planet with ‘good health’…it can buy ya some medical interventions etc as we know but it can’t buy quality of life against that medical crap we can get hit with. I so feel you really doing a life check on yourself and just take the time, see how you feel and just move forward :slight_smile:

--------------------ALL going fine here
luckily new snow coming my might us…Hooray for sure…better not be more of this stuff, not a fan!

My london broil was kinda OK last night. Made sure hubby put no weirdo rub crap on it, cooked plain and then told him PLEASE take it off more rare than a block of well done shoe leather and HE DID. And it wasn’t that bad :slight_smile: I ate a fairly good chunk of that bad boy and now I am thinking, ok when on sale again, gonna grab me some and cook plain and keep very rare, slice very thin and just keep hubby in check on grilling that thing to my liking.

On road, errands etc today
hit store and check all meat sales of course and need a new load of sardines in the house.

Wanna check seafood costs again, but I know they are thru the roof. Might have to buy me some ‘canned crab’??? for a taste of it…getting a hankering but that canned stuff ya know…not a fan but might be deseperate enough to try again? Not sure, will check what is out there before buying just anything. ugh.

got Tbone steak for later
dinner, not sure, whatever I hit at store I might just cook…maybe just buy a whole rotiss. chicken and eat that. Sick of cooking a bit.

Carnivore Jan is winding down…wow…Jan seemed longer to me and then boom, we got Feb coming at us!!

Enjoyed reading your post!

On supps, I would cut out as many of those as you can, you know the ones that kinda probably ain’t doing much for ya LOL Like I get taking your D but other supps might hinder your carnivore journey a bit.

See key being, it is best to come into this plan OFF everything (not real meds etc. of course) and then see how the elmination does for you and if you feel you need some mag. or this or that, yea you can add it back and see how it effects you on a personal note. Key being if you aren’t off it for a bit, you never truly know if it helps or is hindering kinda thought on it.

On ketones…if one is very low carb for a bit or that type of plan, goes into carnivore etc their bodies burn and create and flush ketones WAY different than a new person. We don’t flush out ketones in urine ya know like a newbie would be doing…so unless you intentionally put yourself into a hard state of ketosis thru your carnivore eating plan (like PKD kind deal) then you won’t be in an active state of ketosis like the numbers one strives for when eating a keto plan.

So carnivores NEVER worry about ketones ever. Don’t bother but of course some like to track etc. but they aren’t a ‘thing on zc’
Good read:

(Edith) #378

So true! “No one has ever been on their death bed wishing they’d spent more time at the office.” I don’t remember who said that, but it’s a good quote. I hope your birthday is not too far off.

Maybe you’ll find your blood pressure goes down and stabilizes once you retire. It sounds like it is very stress induced. You should definitely look out for number one.

As for me, yes, when my blood pressure is very low, I do feel off and little woozy. I just need to up my salt for my BP to go back in the normal range. I’ve been experimenting with my salt intake for the past two months.

I’ve mentioned in other threads that I think back to when I was a kid. I didn’t walk around with a bottle of water hydrating all day long. At school, I maybe got a sip at the water fountain between classes and had a drink at lunch and dinner. How much of our belief that we need to constantly hydrate is messing with out bodies?

So, I decided to try drinking less water and stopping the extra salt supplementation. I’m no longer carrying a water bottle around with me. I’m just drinking water from a glass if I’m thirsty. Except for the BP being on the low side, it has been going pretty well. I’m not dehydrated going by urine color, I’m sleeping well - no night time trips to the bathroom, no muscle cramps. I like the fact that I’m not tossing down 1/4 teaspoon of salt multiple times throughout the day.

Diet Coke used to go right through me. I stopped that almost two months ago. It was most likely flushing out electrolytes, but I still wanted the Diet Coke, so I ignored it, drank my water, and popped my salt.

For now, I’m going to keep with my experiment, but if I start getting heart palpitations again, I will up my salt intake. I get heart palpitations from one of two things: not enough sodium or not enough magnesium. Right now, heart palpitations are under control. I do need to go to the doctor for a physical, though. I haven’t had one for years. It is time to make sure I’m not killing my self with low carb and carnivore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I ate today too, no surprise here… I waited until proper hunger and waited some more but dinner was a very good idea when it happened.
It’s a very very nice day calorie wise, not too little, not too much, protein is still lowish but I eat fatty food now. We will see what the much leaner meat I will eat on the weekend will do, hopefully my calories won’t drop but then I just eat more yogurt :smiley: It was my first dessert today (the second is an eggy, buttery coffee), I wondered about it as I theoretically didn’t need it but it felt nice. Maybe it would have felt better if I ate less but it wasn’t so much just unusual to my body or something. I am very sensitive to its tiny changes.
10% fat, it’s pretty decent! I never was a yogurt type of gal, I rarely went near so low-fat watery items but this is good. Cottage cheese was the other surprisingly edible low-fat dairy lately… I will have these occasionally. Not regularly.

I had a pretty good meal (with a bit low appetite so joy level wasn’t very high but it was acceptable).
Scrambled eggs with pork belly (5 eggs), a little pork shoulder roast (it gets old, it’s not even chuck… but it’s fine. I only eat the nice parts and leave the ones without visible fat for some other purpose like grounding and mixing it with eggs) and pork tongue I just finished to prepare :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Yes, as I vaguely remembered before, I prefer it over beef tongue. Especially the fattier back parts, the tip will be perfect for Alvaro (a big tip, I won’t eat the VAST majority of the stuff. the majority, yes but he will have enough left)… Nice stuff.
And 10g head cheese, it’s really not my fav.
And my coffee that I mentioned, my first coffee, at 18:15!
I drank only water only 2pm or so, then came a little tea and now coffee.

I am satisfied now.

(I actually ate 2 rosehips today when I went for a tiny run in the on/off sunshine, the hilltop is full with them. No regrets. It was a spicy day too and carbier than normal due to the yogurt. I almost reached 10g! My previous 3 days were at 4-5g.)

I definitely drink water all the time and don’t even go anywhere without my water bottle. I am a thirsty one. I used to drink mostly in the evening, during exercise (walking totally counts especially if it’s longer than 1.5 hours) and summer (I need to drink all the time then. coming with me when I go cycling must be frustrating to Alvaro as I stop to drink extremely often. but I am thirsty and my arms need frequent breaks anyway).
I don’t remember my childhood but I probably drank a lot then too. But it doesn’t matter, I need it now. The worst is not drinking for, like, 3 hours. I get so very parched I can’t drink enough to stop the suffering… Never again. And I was just sitting in my room…

I don’t have any belief about constant hydrating, I had days with only a few coffees until the evening and I was perfectly fine with that.
The advice about sipping water all day (I met it zillion times) sounds impossible to me. I drink when I am thirsty and even if my thirst wouldn’t be this strong, I just would drink half a liter sometimes, not sipping water… Or people with bad thirst can’t do that either? Half a liter is little… I drink it in 1 minute if I bring it up to drink in the next hours. It just disappears in no time. And it happens after I drank another downstairs… But each to their own, surely some people only can do the sips and they would die of thirst or something without these tricks.

Why I feel the need to write these things down every time? It’s water, I don’t even need to think about it ever, my thirst takes care of it. I can’t even measure my intake and I haven’t the foggiest about my urine color though I know that it’s not a good indicator due to multiple factors (it still may give a hint, though. whatever).

But my drinks are my snacks too sometimes so it’s not all about hydration. But as I need that anyway, it’s not unneeded.

I think about February sometimes… I surely will have some relaxed time in the beginning, I envision very cheesy scrambled eggs at least :smiley: Originally I had wilder ideas but then I went even crazier in the middle of January so it’s not needed even for my rebellious self. But I will be a tad more indulgent with the dairy I don’t need or crave but find nice, I have some items with an expiration date in February anyway.

But I have several stricter days to come. When I finish my pork belly and make my leaner pork roast, I really want some “only eggs and proper meat (and a tiny added fat)” days again.

(Will) #381

About to put a nice ribeye in the air fryer. Haji g shrimp as well.