Clean Carnivore Crew, January 2022

zerocarb
carnivore

(Judy Thompson) #322

A good carnivore day. I’m reading Saladin, spent a good amount of time reading different carnivore threads in this forum.

So, we are musicians from the Washington DC area, transplanted to the Texas Hill Country in a ranch community. We moved here temporarily to care for my mom, but got stuck here by the pandemic. I play violin at the little ranch church and then we jam with the country music folks up the road afterwards. So Sunday is typically a long day and problematic foodwise. I rediscovered club soda for the jam (hubby has beer) but packed a couple sugar free hot dogs (Hebrew National) to eat between church and the jam session. Made us eggs and bacon after, and cut a tiny piece of brisket tonight for a snack.
I doubt I’ll be Saladin’s level 5 carnivore, with no seasonings but salt. However I did drop the turmeric from my evening supplements, since he says it’s toxic.
I’ll try the lamb liver tomorrow. I have chicken liver and beef liver which I already like, but it will be funny without onions and ketchup!

Good to hear you had a good day.

This part of your post spoke out to me - I did the same many months ago; just working my way back through all of the people who used to post here to check out the advice and stories of people who were in the same initial starting position.

It’s funny how easily you forget the short term hardships when you’ve been going a while; it gets to a point where it all just feels easy - as Fangs often says - cruising along with carnivore.

(Will) #324

Good morning all. Very busy weekend but enjoyed lots of delicious beef. I’m just catching up on all the great comments and photos that’s been posted over the past couple of days.
Last night I was thinking about how much weight I had gained over the last couple of years due to having a very busy work schedule and not having or taking time to plan and prep healthy meals so it was mostly garbage that I was eating. Carnivore as well as keto has really given me freedom from all that. The time it takes to insure I have a healthy delicious plate full of meat when it’s time to eat is so minimal that I can’t imagine anyone being able to say they have no time.
I will be carrying my carnivore way of eating through January and into mid April until my birthday. It’s all about how I’m feeling both mentally and physically. So many of you told me in the beginning that the scale means nothing and I can’t tell you just how right you were. Have a great day

@Ketodaisy
sorry on that sleep KD! Annoying as heck I bet. Massive anxiety? huh. I hate anxiety when it hits. I have improved so much on zc but I still get hit with it now and then. It sucks rocks for sure for me!

@Karen18
I love the purple color of those plants. They are striking in appearnce.
You must be getting your back garden close to being decked out pretty nice…wouldn’t think you need too much more right?

Sorry on work tomorrow? Or is it a good thing? Which way is feeling best, that the no work life and retirement type life is suiting you or are ya feeling like you wanna work now again and get back into that type of rotuine in your life? Just wondering on it but luckily you go back in slow motion too, that should help your day definitely!

Exactly what did you eat S? Just curious.

Your shopping excursion sounds good. Did you buy any horse? I am a horse lover to the max and rode for over 35 yrs and owned horses etc…but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t eat one HAHA My brother tried horse in Iceland and said it was ok, nothing great, nothing bad ya know, so I would love to get my hands on a horse steak but that just isn’t sold around here.

@JJFiddle
wow, stuck thru the pandemic still? pretty long time now for you, must have been a hard transition but it sounds like you are now loving your new location?
Texas…you need to start a Texas style BBQ jam at that music jam on sunday :slight_smile:

Your lamb will seem naked without those onions and bit of ketchup I am sure cause I had to work around what I used to do to my meats but wow, once ya get passed that, it is like, WHY did I ever bother with that stuff on my meats LOL

Dr. Paul Saladino had good info on carnivore but you do know he is in some other country eating fruit right? He opted to add honey into his lifestyle and is not carnivore anymore, now he is adding in exotic fruits in his eating so he truly went out of carnivore now. BUT he has tons of fab carnivore info while he was carnivore.

@Septimius
took me a long time to just cruise along with zc! It didn’t come easy but now that I am here…WEeeeee…

@Relic53
So true eating convenience crap food cause we are so busy and hectic lifestyles can just wreck us. I sure was that person too! Now I put me as number 1. My health is the only thing on this planet that truly matters, along with family health of course, but in the end, you can’t even control that. All we got is our own bodies.

I think it is great you are continuing. Only time on this plan as you roll along shows you if this is where you need to be, if this plan lifestyle suits you best. Keep on truckin’ R~!

--------------------for me today is super simple

defrosting a big Tbone again like the one from yesterday’s picture.
No clue on second meal. I am gonna defrost some chicken breasts for family so I will make sure I defrost enough, chicken will probably be my second food. I kinda got an alfredo sauce hankering, but even tho super easy to make, I might not, might be too much work LOL but I shall see. So bascially beef and chicken today. Got me a hankering also for some sardines. Might eat a few tins of them as dessert later.

Our Janurary is flying by and this group is solid and smart and dedicated and getting healthier by the minute :slight_smile: Love it!

(Edith) #326

Okay, I blew it last night.

Yesterday was a very active day and I think I may have needed some extra salt.

I tasted one tortilla chip and the rest of the night was spent munching the chips. The salted chips were sooooo delicious.

It’s my only transgression so far this month and I did enjoy them, so I’m not going to beat myself up. I’m back on track this morning and following @FrankoBear’s NFUN.

(Robin) #327

Ah, now I get the JJFiddle moniker! Very cool!

I did this and easily have done it and my one only question to me is what did I want…the salt…NOW IT IS personally up to each of us when we know point blank what it is all about, do we continue to munch the corn or wheat or whatever plant chips for texture, crunch, taste and the ol’ carby raising it’s head or is it we can’t stop that process cause ‘we deserve or we can ‘‘do ok’’ with it and be fine’ thoughts so why not!??

My kid loves those and the times I grab one I am like, nah or I am like OMG give me the freaking bag cause I would inhale it in a nano second but I can feel the diff. on my needs, no salt need, or I need salt point blank. I can grab a burger from the fridge, nuke up to take just that cold off it, salt the hell out of it and done…one plan and gave me what I truly needed, salt, all on plan.

and yes this is just me :slight_smile: just me trying to do the right thing cause I think you are OK on some chips and not go backward…I am a point blank backward into carbs person in a split second so I MUST take another option on it thru what my body tells me.

I think you can ‘back a tad’ but I can’t but great thing is you know how you can go back ya know and be ok with it :slight_smile: That is never a bad thing in our journey to suit us! You are fine I think!

--------------So I cooked french fries and burger for kid this morning at 11 cause she is now hungry, I got 2 biscuits in the oven for mom with sausage and fried eggs to feed her with jam on those biscuits.

not hungry. I will follow the hunger. That is the best move I can ever make…just listen to me at all times and find my path :sunny: but when I eat later, yea I am gonna eat well LOL

HOLD strong all, find us in all this and be smart about our paths and our limitations and our journey…all any of us can do

(Edith) #329

Yes, I realized after the first few chips it was the salt, because it tasted so good, but by then the cat was out-of-the bag, or should I say in-the-bag, lol.

(Robin) #330

Yes! I will enjoy that bag of chips vicariously through you. They would be my choice too. :vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

yea the bag draws me point blank and to draw a stop line does not exist for me.

(Karen) #332

Not too bad a night last night all things considered. Up at 7.45 and stair running 100 flights then bath and panicking about getting off to work and getting there on time! Arrived absolutely 10 o’clock on the dot! Spent 2 hours milling around chatting to colleagues then back to the gate at 12.15 and got held up getting out with more colleagues stopping me to chat. Eventually in my car at 12.40!

Stopped off at Raymond’s on way home for a brew then home and brunch at 2pm of sauted chicken n melted cheese.

Started yawning about 12 and have yawned ever since. Felt so tired when I got home, more so than I expected. All that talking to all those people! Head was a bit groggy so I sat out in the sunshine with another brew then decided to get the bird feeder fixed up. Didnt want to sit about all afternoon. Too tired to pot plants today, maybe tomorrow. Back to work Wednesday.

Dinner this evening is going to be pork chops. I have already had a bit more cheese! Then an early night me thinks.

20220117_171704|374x500
(The fishnets tights lol)
(The candle sconce)

no laughing I am an absolute novice and just having a go lol
Sorry no food pics today … same as yesterday with the steak hahaha.

Oh I remember my first liver eating on carnivore… It was super odd to imagine it without onion (I never ate it with ketchup, that is only for fast food here I think while liver is traditional. and I was already low-carb no-sugar since ages at that point anyway and I disliked to make exceptions, I only did it with pickles. well those disappeared somewhat quickly after my first carni trials… I can’t handle the sweetness)… I even made onions separately in the first few times but it was easy to go without later. It’s amazing how much we can change. Onions are very very sweet and I dislike my meat sweet so I couldn’t use much anyway. I only use onions in my stews (oh my, it was AGES ago I ate stew the last time…).
Once or twice in 2021 I ate my old fav, eggs with onions… It wasn’t nearly as good as in the past and I used WAY less onion (1 big onion per egg, I totally did that as a kid). It’s just too sweet. I rather put some pork belly into my scrambled eggs :wink:

Oh here I am, talking about carbs again.
But I just talk! I obviously was super good on my day #1, it was nice. Pork shoulder roast, eggs. Added fat too (leftover fried sausage fat) as my scrambled eggs (with extra yolks) almost required it and it added variety and fun. I wasn’t sooo happy with my meat, it was nice, sure but it wasn’t over 7/10… But it’s good enough. Strong enough sudden hunger at 14:40, tiny appetite, it worked well.
I ate a quite small meal… I just tracked (it was too simple, of course I did…), it was about 1500 kcal, small but not THAT small, yeah it was tiny but dense… And there are people who eat less than this, I still can’t wrap my head around it. I only could pull it off because I had a seriously overeating weekend. I am very fine now. Except this stupid headache I have now but I messed up my sleep… It’s tiny but stubborn and annoying.
76% fat so I ate very little protein. Guesstimation is 83g, I am usually safe over 120g but I can do this for one day sometimes. I had a workout, my performance was so-so but my shoulder exercise went quite well, another good workout and I can raise the weights again!

I don’t wanna talk much about it… Except what is obvious: fruits! :smiley: They were quite good, well a tad too sweet… I still ate lots of eggs and meat (and cheese as we bought new nice ones), what else but I had desserts (I have a keto-ish lovely soft cake Alvaro’s Mom reminded me of) and put a little cassava gari into my scrambled eggs. It’s not as fun as I remembered, oh well. And I did worse and overate like crazy. But I feel pretty good, it was worse on the actual days especially when I wasn’t at home and couldn’t eat a bunch of fatty protein after the fatty carbs, my body dislikes that. Still nothing serious, I can’t reach the bellyache level with a couple of carbier days. I just felt my body isn’t as happy as it could be. And it is right, I am an undisciplined little idiot sometimes. I blame the tension I had inside when I was bored with my food before, not every day but I don’t handle well if I don’t enjoy my food every day. It wasn’t particularly hard back then but my displeasure piled up. I even relaxed my ways a bit but it wasn’t enough. I don’t understand why it was like that, I am supposed to be okay with my food.
I am cautious now and won’t be strict when I feel some little extra (I mean some tasty added fat, dairy… not plants) would help to make my meal more pleasant or better macro wise.
Oh I ate peanuts too. I usually fall back to eating it when I go off… I never miss it on carnivore but when I go off and need a little extra something… I see the jar multiple times every day in the kitchen. I don’t know how to rearrange my mind to avoid it all the time but it’s better to stick to carnivore anyway. I do try, I just am too bad at it. But I have so much time to do it now. January had its problem after the never good December but there is February, March, April and May. And June will be a very interesting month, the new me vs all my fav red fruits (the heavier days have an hour fruit picking at least). I eat less fruit every year so it shouldn’t be a big problem but I won’t do carnivore weeks there. While the other months until then have way better chances.

I didn’t buy horse, we only have sausage from horse, no other meat. It’s a thing here, there were various horse sausages. I ate pork-horse sausage before, it tastes normal but it’s full with paprika and there was pork too… I don’t know what horse meat alone tastes like.

Salt…! It gets more and more ridiculous. I salt all my food multiple times and it’s still not salty enough… I really desire more salt now. Still didn’t count how much sodium I ate this year but I have notes (mostly about the weight of my salt containers so it’s simple) and I will figure it out.

By the way! My beloved peanuts… They have a few great tempting properties. One is salt. One is CRUNCHINESS! I so, so, so love that. One is being roasted. And I guess I like the taste too but I wouldn’t eat it without a bunch of salt, perfectly roasted. It’s not tempting and way too sweet like that. No wonder I dislike peanut butter, it loses some great properties of roasted peanuts.

Chips are nice because crunchy and salty though I always loved the taste of potato. But it’s easy to live without it. I made a nice potato soup (one of my old favs) in the first week of January and didn’t taste it (it was the first week so I wasn’t tempted at all)… Okay, potato loses a ton of charm if it’s not fried and crunchy… And no way I will make chips, no matter how off I am, too much work and it’s carby, I can do better stuff!
Oh I remember, I ate sweet potato too, after… Years? It was nice but I can live without it just fine. So no more in 2022 I suppose (I never can make promises about my Decembers… though I hope the next ones will be way better than the previous ones).

I really need some almost fully carnivore months. I need some changes inside me. Sometimes I can eat a little carbier extra without problems but I tend to go a bit too crazy, less and less as time passes but still too much. And it’s… NOT enjoyable. It’s compulsive. Wrong. So I should keep myself safe and the new evolved one should be okay in the wildest times. At least this is my educated guess hypothesis.

(Robin) #334

Love it all.

(Daisy) #335

It only seems to hit at 1 am. I would say it’s heart palpitations but according to my Fitbit, my rate is never that high. But that’s what it feels like. Like my heart is going to explode if I don’t get up immediately! It’s crazy. But then I look at my Fitbit and it may say my bpm is 71.

Day 19: meal one was 2 small lamb chuck chops and a burger patty. Plus bone broth jello. Meal two was a large chuck roast cut in pieces and air fried. Sleep: Supplements: 200 mg 5-htp taken right before bed. In bed just before 10 pm, with earplugs, on my back with prayer and deep breath. Took absolutely forever to fall asleep, but in fairness I had taken a nap late afternoon and really wasn’t tired when I went to bed, just bored. Up at 11:22 to pee. Had slight leg cramps, so applied magnesium balm. Back up at 1:16 with my new nightly 1 am anxiety attack…back to bed at 1:30. Tossed and turned pretty endlessly the next few hours. Up just before 6 to pee. Tossed and turned, dozing off and on until 8:15 (bank holiday).

I forgot to write the previous time but I finally bought shrimps!!! Just a bit. We will figure out how to get most of it… It’s such a little amount, I won’t just eat it alone! I have ideas for Alvaro’s portion, with carbs but mine…? Maybe something with eggs, eggs are my bread and pasta and general side dish, among other roles… I surely will get ideas but I am open to suggestions.
I won’t eat it in the very near future, I have other plans, I will finally cook the pork tongue I have in the freezer and probably the turkey wings too. The big leanish slab of pork (3kg, it’s a cute size and I didn’t want to cut it up so it’s a whole. poor freezer is full, I barely could close the door) will be roasted in the weekend (probably. I am bad with plans. maybe I will buy some pork chuck. or chicken liver with hearts).
Now I have these potentially fasting days so I don’t prepare anything and (very realistically) hope that my leftover roast and quick egg dishes will be enough when hunger comes. But I have cheese and processed but good enough pork belly as well, just not as default food. I have bacon as well (it was on sale and it’s mildly fun and adds variety so why not? my beloved pork jowl and bresaola are better but they were nowhere to found…) but with a long shelf life so I don’t plan to open the package soon.
I feel prepared.

And quite fine now, even my headache is almost gone, drinking a lot of coffee actually helped!
I had heart palpitations due to bad sleep, it’s normal for me but that is gone and I start to get sleepy. I am so ready for some properly timed sleep, not being awake at 4am and stuff…

(Judy Thompson) #337

He probably thought too highly of himself and burned out. Reading the last part of the book, he became so pure in his carnivorous woe, he couldn’t tolerate any spices or anything. A burnout waiting to happen imo.

That said, the lamb liver was great. Intense. Cooked with ghee and pink salt. Still, I’ll split it with the puppy. She’d rather have liver than anything!
I did try it raw btw - too strong.
Restaurants overcook liver. The nice reddish pink center is the way to go.

After snacking on liver, I couldn’t finish my brisket at lunch. Then had some cream and in another cup, espresso.

@Fangs
We were stuck here primarily for 2 reasons - the music business was killed by the pandemic; and Texas is so relaxed in its treatment of covid compared to the east coast, we couldn’t stand the people back home anymore. In Texas we have an endemic - everybody we know has had covid. In VA, all we see is fear. We can’t take it. (plus, there’s still no work.)

I haven’t tried them but the place we play on Sundays has Rocky Mountain oysters! :scream: Talk about an enlightened organ meat.

(Judy Thompson) #338

I get palpitations at night a lot, trying to fall asleep. When I googled them I found they were from blood pressure, not heart rate. I haven’t had them this week, since starting carnivore. But that may be because I’m not eating at night. I seem to almost always feel full now… except when I’m super hungry!

@Karen18
I LOVE your bird feeders! So creative!

(Daisy) #339

Ohhh that would make sense! I’ll look more into it, thank you!

(Edith) #340

I get palpitations when my magnesium is too low (and I know that’s not you) and when I haven’t had enough sodium.

My blood pressure is low and so is my resting pulse rate.

My cat’s name is Nancy Boots. She is fit and healthy at 9 years old. She is a carnivore (and physical movement with a relaxed approach) inspiration (but has slightly different physiology). Mrs. Bear is being used as a yoga prop.

After 3 rough days of joint pain things have settled down a bit today.

Staying on plan: NoFUN breakfast (No Food Until Noon) of 3 pasture fed eggs + bacon cooked in the tallow of the steak from the night before. I have some prawns to add to tonight’s steak. Pretty much find myself eating beef at the moment. I did have 100g of beef liver pate last night. Steaks on offer are either Cattlemans’, or Porterhouses. I’ve found that since baking the steak in an iron dish in the oven I have been able to widen my steak selection as they all turn out well. I add a bit of butter and a middle bacon rasher. Drinking rain water from our tanks and 2 morning coffees. No hunger and a bit nutritionally ketotic.