Clarifying bacon grease

(Jack Brien) #1

Found this on YouTube when I was looking at making ghee

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Much simpler to just get yourself a very fine meshed strainer and put the bacon nectar, while still hot, in a container after cooking each batch of bacon. Never knew anyone who just kept cooking bacon in the left overs for an extended period of time. Some of the stuff left behind is going to get burned and effect the taste of the fat left behind.

The woman’s voice is really irritating too.

(Jack Brien) #3

Her voice was part of what I loved about it. Sounded so “old backwoods woman” to me. I could imagine her sons making moonshine in the shed out back and making kidnapped tourists squeal like a pig! Sorry if that’s a bit of a stereotype :-):joy:

(Mike W.) #4

I just pour mine through a paper towel. Comes out Snow White.

(CharleyD) #5

Bookmarked. Isn’t removing the oxidized products of cooking a worthy goal? :innocent:

Plus if there were any sugars in there, like the little in eggs, there could be AGE’s too…

(Sophie) #6

This is what we always did growing up…strain through a paper towel over a coffee can. And we did this for all oils, except bacon juice because we had a handy-dandy aluminum can with a strainer for that. Oil that was used for fish got it’s own can! :smile:

(CharleyD) #7

Great t-shirt idea:

If you hear banjo music…
KCKO!

(William) #8

Newbie question. If the package says a serving has 15g of fat per serving, doesn’t that include all the fat that drains off? If I eat a 4 oz serving, don’t i need to consume all that drain off to get the full 15g of fat?

Yes you do. It makes perfect sense as how would they do how much you don’t eat? I nearly always eat all the bacon, rendered out fat and all.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You are right, but you can also save the bacon juice and use it to cook other things.

The main macro to worry about is keeping carbohydrate intake under 20 g/day. Then strive for enough protein, and get enough fat to satisfy your hunger. If you buy your meat untrimmed and eat all the fat that’s still attached after cooking, that should get you close. Then, you add butter or cheese sauce to your vegetables and blue cheese dressing to your salad, and you should be home free.

(Robin) #11

My generation was raised by moms who saved all the grease for cooking. Often in a little metal pitcher that sat next to the stove. Bacon grease was the best. Obviously.

We didn’t even eat bacon… Mom ate pork fat tissue but raw (smoked) or sometimes boiled (not really but IDK what to say when it happens slowly) so no lard was generated from it.
Mom was an interesting one, she ate sunflower oil as everyone, margarine (as probably most people who didn’t eat butter? was there anything against butter I wonder…) and raw pork fat tissue (it still sounds weird but if you can say a better term…) as most people, again. Or many. I never liked it (unless it was cooked and covered by paprika) but it was a staple for many generations before mine. We just fried it at campfire when we kids went to somewhere, it was pretty much unavoidable just like butter with lard and onion while hiking :slight_smile: The latter still happened on some organized hiking tours I did until some years ago. I start to miss those, not the food, the proper hiking tours. My small walks (50 minutes, sometimes 100, very rarely 4 hours but half of it is collecting and photographing mushrooms) aren’t enough.

Things changed though and whenever I see some great fatty ancient recipe, it always gets hurriedly added that it’s ONLY for huge muscular men hunting huge beasts all day as it’s so very calorie dense!
And what. Not everyone needs kilograms of food, no matter that the food is.
Stupid modern world, even my country has this BS. At least people keep eating high-fat and fatty meats are everywhere.

(Jane) #13

Yep, same here. You can still buy them and this is what I store my bacon grease in: