Chronic Canker Sores

(Andrew Schaefer) #1

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had chronic canker sores in my mouth on my inner cheeks / tongue. I almost always had one, but more often than not I would have 3+ in my mouth. They would keep me from talking, eating, and from pretty much enjoying any part of life. It’s hard for me to articulate how debilitating and frustrating it has actually been to have this problem for almost 30 years.

For decades, doctors have told me that there is no cure for canker sores. I’ve been prescribed numerous pastes / balms that will numb the pain for a short period of time, but nothing that actually fixes the problem. And everyone I know has a home remedy that “works every time,” but actually works “never.” But I’ve been eating this way for about a month now and, after the first three days or so, I haven’t had a single sore. I honestly can’t remember the last time (if ever) that I’ve gone this long without having one.

It’s truly unbelievable. I can talk and eat without pain. Hell, I can sit motionless without pain. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my back. Hard to imagine that I could have been feeling this way all the time.

I’m not sure what I mean to get out of this post. But, I guess if anyone in the forum has a chronic condition like mine and is on the fence about trying this WOE, there is little to lose by giving it a shot and a whole lot to gain. As the saying goes, the best time to have started eating this way was 25 years ago. The second best time is today.

Oh, and thank you everyone! I never would have started without the people in this community! It is not an exaggeration to say that I owe you all my life!

(Ethan) #2

Before you were keto, did you eat a lot of acidic fruits?

(Andrew Schaefer) #3

No, not really. I get that question a lot actually, but the mouth pain pretty much precluded anything too acidic.

(Edith) #4

Canker sores are a symptom of gluten intolerance and celiac disease. You probably have a gluten intolerance and never knew it, but now that you are Keto and no longer eating grains the canker sores have healed.

I am speaking from experience. I used to get canker sores all the time, and when I gave up gluten years ago, I stopped getting canker sores. Crest toothpaste also does it for me.

Enjoy the sore free mouth!

(Andrew Schaefer) #5

To clarify my dietary journey: from about age 5 to 22 I pretty much only ate pizza, spaghetti, granola bars, cookies, candy, hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches… After undergrad I found Paleo/ keto and was about 80/20 compliant with that. Then for the last few years I have been strict low carb Paleo with lots of veggies / intermittently I would have a stretch of very few carbs and bump into keto. The past month I have been strictly meat only, primarily eating 55% lean hamburgers, bacon, and the occasional rib eye.

I’m no nutritionist, but have some arm chair speculation as to why meat only is helping me. I think most people are designed to eat vegetables. In zero carb people talk about the toxins in vegetables but I think the low level stress from those is probably ok / potentially beneficial for a healthy person (just like the stress of working out / fasting / cold or heat exposure is good for a healthy person and can have beneficial effects up to a certain point). But my guess is that I am so sick from the poison I fed my body for 25 or so years, it is possible that cutting out everything but meat is having a therapeutic effect. In other words, the constant stress from non-meat foods has kept me from healing. But, who knows. Again, this is not my field and I’m just speculating / I also don’t want to over think it.

I also had chronic canker sores and have greatly reduced the occurrence and severity of them. I am confident that it was the sugar doing it before. I would frequently get them after holidays (eating desserts…). Sometimes I would accidentally bite my lip while eating and it would get worse and worse. Now when that happens, it rarely turns into a sore. This alone has kept me low carb (not strictly keto).

(Andrew Schaefer) #7

Could be! I definitely saw improvement when I cut out grains / gluten, but would add that the sores never fully went away until I did zero carb. Perhaps the years of gluten damage caused my body to treat other foods similarly? Who knows.

Thanks for sharing, I’m glad you have experienced relief too!

(Carpe salata!) #8

30 years of pain and you found the solution. That must feel awesome!

(Edith) #9

Vitamin deficiency can also cause a sore tongue, I think it’s B12. It’s possible you were also vitamin deficient because you weren’t absorbing all your nutrients due to the gluten. Now that you are keto, your gut has had a chance to heal and you are getting all the nutrients you need.

Edith

Maybe look into Fodmap. Even onions and garlic can cause you to react if you are sensitive

I had the same thing happen after cutting out all grains and sugar. I’d been plagued with canker sores my whole life then they were just gone and haven’t come back (three years now). I don’t even get one if I bite my cheek. It was only recently that I read about the gluten intolerance connection and it makes sense. The keratosis I had is also gone and, after eliminating all but animal products (except coffee-I just can’t!), my joints in my hands don’t hurt. No more glucosamine after ten years (I’m 51)

(mike) #12

I think most of what causes issues like the one Andrew sites is inflammation. It’s important to find the diet for you, that helps to lower it. I think Andrew found it.

(Andrew Schaefer) #13

It does feel good! The only downside is that I no longer have an excuse to communicate exclusively in grunts and groans anymore.

(Carpe salata!) #14

And you can suck on keto sea salt without writhing on the floor in pain! :slight_smile:

(Shashank Pandey) #15

Sage is a herb that has been found very effective for canker sores treatment. The calming and soothing properties possessed by sage provide immediate relief in inflammation and pain.

Take 3 teaspoons of sage leaves.
Add it to a cup of steaming water.
Wait for 15 minutes.
When this solution cools, strain it and rinse your mouth with it.
Do this 3 times in a day.

(Andrew Schaefer) #17

Yep, still here.

(Andrew Schaefer) #18

Thank you for this information, but I would rather address the problem by removing the things causing the issue rather than take something medicinally to reduce symptoms of a poor diet.

(Kent Alexander Stringer) #20

So this was a nice post to read. Your first post sounded like myself up until a month ago. Always had at least one sore but usually 3-5. The worst are the ones on the side of the tongue because you always end up biting it making it worse. Mine came from a corn intolerance so corn syrup and corn meal were my bane. I started keto a little over a month ago and nothing since. I’ve had a couple little ones that lasted about a day and not really painful but that’s it. I’ve also lost 25 pounds so far but the no sore is the best part

(Carpe salata!) #21

Could you try fasting? Give your whole body a rest for 3 to 5 days and see if it starts to clear up. Then you could see what the triggers are when you eat again. Fasting gives you different perspectives.

hello Andrew
I have similar problem as you had. I had this Canker Sores for 7 years and some months. I have tried everything over the counter pain relief and prescribed pastes numb the pain for short period of time. but it is been a while since I have stop using these remedy. now I use alcohol as a mouth wash to numb the canker so I can eat and drink. after reading your story it gave me hope. thank you for sharing. if you could help me out.
How did you do it? what steps did you follow?