Chronic Canker Sores

(Kathleen Rose) #23

Canker sores can also be caused by the sodium Laurel sulfate in conventional toothpaste. After switching to a clay based all natural product called Uncle Harry’s I stopped getting them. It took about a month. Haven’t had one since. I buy it on Amazon.

(Betsy) #24

That’s great! So happy for you!

(Windstoner ) #25

I have a similar problem. I have been mostly keto for the last 5 years or so. However, I go through some periods of doing weekly cheat days with carbs to keep from getting too skinny (great problem to have).

This six week cycle of eating carbs on Saturdays, I have gotten severe canker sores on my tongue within 2 hours of the first carb. And these sores are BRUTAL. I usually enjoy cheating, but this cycle has been terrible.

The only thing that’s helping me is rinsing with 116 proof rice alcohol. Yuck. But it kills the bacteria. But for me, if I go on a carb bender, the canker sores still go away. So strange.

(Daisy) #26

I had chronic canker sores as well prior to keto. I always blamed it on the sugar, and they lessened when I eliminated sugar, but never fully went away until I went keto. So maybe it was gluten related? Interesting. Have only had 1 in the last 2 years, used to get them monthly.

(Holli) #27

I honestly don’t believe any of us were designed to eat grains. I think it should only be consumed in the event of extreme starvation just to not die until real food can be obtained. I believe we were designed to tolerate fruits in vegetables in very moderate amounts when local and in season because our ancestors would have eaten them as treats. However, I think it’s clear we were designed to mostly consume animal products as our main food source and the fat that comes with it. It seems ruminant animals were designed to be our main food source as their multi-chamber stomachs filter out toxins (even the ones we humans feed them) while other animal meats and products were made to fill in the blanks and offer a little variety.
I’m thrilled for you that you discovered this WOE and that it’s given you back quality of life. I watch my daughter feeding her kids fairly healthy meals but allowing them free reign of cakes, cookies, and sugary treats as “snacks” and it breaks my heart! I know from experience what this will lead to. I’ve never really struggled with my weight but I’ve suffered chronic pain for over 20 years. I see my oldest grandson struggle with occasional behavioral issues and the second one is having learning troubles. I tell her about keto and carnivore but she just nods and smiles because obviously I don’t know what I’m talking about.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

So sad! There is a movie called The Magic Pill, which is a documentary about the ketogenic diet and several families that try it. You may be able to find it on YouTube or Netflix. Persuading your daughter to watch it, of course, would be a separate challenge. But the transformation in the two autistic children covered in the film is startling, not to mention the mother whose cognition improves greatly on the diet.