Cholesterol level test- Scary results?

(Bruce) #1

I’ve been on Keto for about 6 months now and lost just over 14lbs in that time (about 7lbs since Christmas) and now weigh 185lbs at 6ft 1" with blood pressure at around 130 / 69 (throughout my life it has always been higher and this is the lowest it’s been). As an aside, I have also stopped having migraines, stopped bleeding gums, no more acid reflux, better bowels with no bloating and less gas and joint pains improved. I also have almost no seasonal winter psoriasis which is a first for ~20 years! I feel great but see the measurements below!
I am 45 and have an average activity level living on a smallholding.
I just had a Medichecks test which included cholesterol and the following measurements came back:-
The results came in mmol/l and I converted them using an online converter.
The question is, according to the levels am I actually dead, because they look pretty awful?!

Trig 542.07 mg/dl or 6.12 mmol/l

Overall 450.12 or 11.64

HDL 51.82 or 1.34

LDL no measure because Trig to high!

The trigs are indeed very high. How long did you fast prior to the bloods being taken?

(Bruce) #3

I had the test done at 4.30pm and from memory I think I last ate at breakfast (but honestly can’t be certain- I should have taken note from what you are saying!). I assume that certain eating habits immediately prior to the test will alter things?

You really want to be fasted for between 12 & 14 hours for the most accurate result. Too short OR too long can make a difference.

(Bruce) #5

Thanks. No instructions for that came with the test and I am obviously somewhat ignorant of these procedures. Is this standard for all people or does the keto diet have a specific effect on the need to fast do you know?

It’s pretty standard. Some doctors will request non-fasted tests for specific reasons but they can be misleading if you’re trying to get a baseline. Check out a website called www.cholesterolcode.com for more detailed explanations of the ways keto can impact cholesterol readings.

(Scott) #7

I alway schedule an early morning test and skip breakfast that day. Did you ever test prior to keto? If so we’re the numbers better or worse?

(Bruce) #8

I’ve had a finger prick test about 25 years ago which I think told me my overall was around 5 or 6 mmol/l although I can’t be certain!

(Sheri Knauer) #9

Definitely have it rechecked and make sure you are fasted about 12 hours before the test. As someone else mentioned, I also usually schedule mine for first thing in the morning and make sure I finish my last meal 12 hours before the test. If you are a coffee drinker, Ive been reading lately how that can affect trigs. You can find info on that at cholesterol code.com, same link as mentioned above.

(Diane) #10

Make sure you drink plenty of water but avoid all other food and drink for those 12 hours.

(Scott) #11

I remember a video under the name “fitterU” where she was speaking on stage to what seemed like medical doctors or students. I would post a link but I can’t remember which one. I recall she was saying that mostall people will have their cholesterol improve on the keto diet but there are a small minority that don’t. It was kind of funny she asked the crowd “what do we tell this person, what do we say? It sucks to be you?” She was trying to say improved marker are not a given and no one knows why at this point. This is why I checked my numbers at 4 months in and was pleased I was not in the minority. OP do another test and give it some time before testing again to see what direction it is going.

(Bruce) #12

I will be doing another test very shortly BUT I will do a number of things:- ensure I am fasted for 12 hours before, make sure I have eaten properly for the few days before (I know I had been rushing around and hadn’t eaten regularly or enough for a few days and specifically had (I was reminded) breakfast that day and then a few coconut oil fat bombs to keep me going through the day. I very much suspect that those combined screwed up my test. Very stupid of me!
I believe that, having watched Feldman’s info, I can produce a result that will be entirely different which rather destroys the point of a cholesterol test in the first place! Guess I should just save up for a CAC and be done with it!

(Bruce) #13

I now have a new cholesterol test through the post and will take it on Thursday morning after five days of following the Feldman protocol, no coffee or coconut oil either.
Test will be posted here in a week or so.

(Bruce) #14

NEW RESULTS!

Total Cholesterol:- 13.54mmol/L 523.6mg/dl
LDL:- 11.3mmol/L 436.9mg/dl
HDL:- 1.69mmol/L 65.3mg/dl
Triglycerides:- 1.2mmol/L 106.3mg/dl

RATIOS

Cholesterol to HDL:- 8.01
Triglycerides to HDL:- 1.626
LDL to HDL:- 6.69

Avoided coffee for 5 days prior.
Avoided coconut oil for 5 days prior.
Ate VERY high calorie (~3500 calorie) 75/20/5 ratio diet mainly animal based but some plant material.
Included 1 serving of high omega fish every day (canned in olive oil- not drained).
Ensured I was well hydrated.
Ensured I was 13 hours fasted.
Gained 3-4 pounds!

(Omar) #15

much better

the main thing is the triglycerides which is very good.

I have seen experienceed members commenting in similar cases not to worry about total cholesterol and ldl without being clustered with other risk factors.

(Bruce) #16

Thanks. Yes I’m much happier, especially as my blood pressure is better than ever on keto and a whole host of symptoms have all gone.
It really doesn’t say much for the faith that the medics put in cholesterol tests though does it given that they don’t always want a fasting one.
Naturally, my doc reviewing the result is just as concerned about this result as the first and is saying “medication!” to which my retort is to not reply to his written report. It wasn’t an NMR lipid test so he has no idea what type of LDL is floating about so can’t really comment.

(bulkbiker) #17

Bruce
Your Trig/HDL ratio is in fact 0.71 not as you have stated… its Trigs divided by HDL
Anything sub 0.87 is considered good so yours is great!

(Omar) #18

I always calculate it like Bruce using the American numbers

106.3/65.3 = 1.63

yay! what a nice update. Congratulations.

(Bruce) #20

Thanks all. I’m very happy with the results and the only thing that can really give me more info is a CAC scan which is out of my budget right now!