Chocolate is a processed evil

It’s back to work for me. After 2 years of surfing and sleeping and being outdoors, I accidentally got a full-time job.

Interesting how coffee alone no longer is an antidote it seems, nary enough to treat the symptoms of exposure to bureaucracy.

So I picked up a chocolate bar … Raw, Organic, Handmade then on the back of the recycled cardboard package (straight away the package should be a warning)… Vegan. No dairy. No soy. Gluten free. No refined sugar” Package printed with vegetable inks.

Cacao; maple syrup; hazelnuts; coconut oil; coconut milk; carob; cinnamon; sea salt.

21g carbohydrate in 100g. 10g ‘sugars’ in 100g. Serving size is 45g. The Devil holds the hand of the angel.

I held this thing in my hand and realised that “chocolate” is processed food. Something made by mixing ingredients; a confection. Its sum is much greater than its parts.

Chocolate seems to have a free pass, an “Access all areas” lanyard, a slinky unseen assassin. It’s a sneaky beach.

I had never consciously (mindfully) made the link before. This post may just be a personal revelation. But I see it in these forums, an acceptance, a cognitive dissonance.

Do we humans have a chocolate coloured psychological blind spot?

Cocoa powder recipes?

Yes. I pick the high % ones at a reasonable price and cut the serving size in half. That and coffee are not going away unless I’m deathly ill. :smile:

Maybe more like advertising created psychological blind spot where its being served at every holiday or happy moment to make u miss it like ur childhood.

(Carl Keller) #4

I think if you are eating 98% single item, whole foods and the occasional chocolate as a treat, you still have an A+ in nutrition.

(John) #5

Montezuma’s Absolute Black 100% Cacao chocolate for me. No sugar, no maple syrup, just cocoa. I eat small amounts, not every day. You get a strong chocolate flavor, but because of the lack of sweetness, it does not trigger excessive eating of it.

Per 100g (entire 3.5 oz bar):
54g fat
12g protein
8g net carbs
17g fiber

I tend to eat maybe 1/10th of a bar at a time - break off a few squares, so the total carbs is small.

Lily’s makes chocolate bars sweetened with erythritol, inulin, and stevia. Only a few net carbs per bar depending on which variety you get.

(less is more, more or less) #7

I don’t know.

I occasionally enjoy my own mixture of coconut oil, teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and teaspoon of erythritol. I drop it in the fridge for 15 minutes and viola! Chocolate bar, without any crap. 4 total carbs.

(Charlotte) #8

I make my own. It takes me 10 minutes. :+1:t2:

My recipe is
3 tbsp solid coconut oil
1/2 cup cashew butter (the drippy kind)
3 tbsp confectioners swerve
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Melt coconut oil
  2. Mix in nut butter
  3. Add Swerve and Cocoa Powder
  4. Pour into silicone chocolate mold
  5. Freeze for 1 hour
  6. Pop chocolates out of mold and store in a freezer safe bag in the freezer

Makes 24 1” square chocolates
Approx stats:
50 Cals
1.5g Carb
1g Protein
4.5g Fat

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

@Screenack how much coconut oil Kyle?
I want to try this. :cowboy_hat_face:

(less is more, more or less) #10

Something like 1/4 to 1/3 cup’s worth. Honestly, I usually just eyeball it but that should be a good starting point. Also: utensils required. The melting point of coconut oil is 76°. You will have messy fingers, otherwise.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Well, we know what to do if that happens! :stuck_out_tongue::yum:

(Bunny) #12

Here is post from a while back!

6 Ways to Use Chocolate on a Ketogenic Diet

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

That is why I make my own chocolate fat bombs, 25 g 100% raw cocao powder, 125g coconut oil, and a few drops of liquid stevia. Pour into mold of choice, and toss in the freezer for half hour. You are all set.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #14

Huh… I’ve whipped unsweetened cocoa into HWC and eaten it that way, but haven’t tried with coconut oil. Warning: experimenting may commence at any moment.

(less is more, more or less) #15

These are perfect for coconut oil, cocoa and sweetener treats:

(Karim Wassef) #16

My cacao is as unprocessed as it gets…

Add hot water, salt and stevia… yumm

(CharleyD) #17

In many people, the psychoactive compounds in cocoa release an endorphin rush along with a blip of dopamine. It’s very pleasurable, but you’ll always be chasing that first bliss. You can get close to it if you abstain for a while, but chronic use will negate the conscious effect.

(Karim Wassef) #18

Also cocoa is not the same as cacao… :blush:

(CharleyD) #19

That’s true! I got them a little twisted in my head.

The one fat bomb recipe I’ve used is with Hershey’s cocoa powder, and cacao butter and a few drops of stevia. Cooked and stirred and then frozen to set. It’s not tempered, but will do in a pinch. And done in those mini muffin molds above.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

This is my fav for this recipe, available on Amazon of course.
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Cacao Powder, 1lb.

I don’t eat anything that comes out of Hershey land.