China Snacks!

(Laurie) #41

When I lived on Jeju Island, Korea, cuttlefish (similar to squid) was a staple, with octopus a close second. I ate many mysterious fishy and seafood things. That was fine. But I was dismayed when a friend took me to a fish restaurant and I was served fish head soup; the head was considered the best part.

In the college cafeteria they sometimes served a pile of teeny tiny fish, heads and all; someone said they were anchovies.

KoreanAnchovies

My Russian coworker kept saying they were “tasty,” so I broke the heads off a couple and tried them. They tasted okay, but I don’t eat heads and eyes. She got mad and I gave up.

But eating live shrimp and live fish–a delicacy–no thanks. Even though I admit you can’t get it much fresher than that.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #42

Yeah, I’ll have to get a picture of one of those big flattened cuttlefish one of these days… but most I’ve seen aren’t keto because they have too much sugar added. :rage: I’m generally against eating the heads of things, but those tiny fish I’ll eat head and all.

(Alex ) #43

i am exactly the same with heads and eyes, sorry I aint eating anything that’s looking at me whilst its sat/laid on my plate! no matter how glazed over the looks are!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

Some shellfish are high in carbs including squid and musscles. Download the Atkins carb counter, a PDF that’s a great reference guide to have in your phone while shopping and considering foods you don’t usually consume. That being said I used to love to eat calamari, usually as a Kung Pao stir fry😋.

The tiny dried fish available in most Asian grocery stores are tasty. Try soaking a bit and stir fry with oil, garlic, fermented black beans and some hot chilis if you like. Eat at room temperature.

Duck and chicken feet are maybe one of the most nutritious parts of the animal. Freshly cooked the gelatinous part is rich in chondroitin sulphate, great for joints and cartilage. Just suck it off the bones!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #45

Scaredy cat, close you eyes and try it. The heads of animals contain much nutrition and usually great flavor. A paleo basic, eat head to tail and don’t waste any of the animal.

(Alex ) #46

Negative!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #47

Didn’t mean to be, sorry😁

(Alex ) #48

You’re not, at all mate, negative, as in, it’s a no from me this time! :wink:

(Alex ) #49

Plus, don’t eyes pop inside your mouth?! :face_vomiting:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #50

Mostly a fatty texture, not disgusting but rich in fatty flavors. I don’t seek out eyes to eat, but on small fish or shrimp you just don’t even notice them.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #51

I’ve since eaten chicken feet. They were much better grilled. I think it was the weird gel from the packaged duck feet I wasn’t into.

Ruina Im definitely going to follow your posts as I love both keto & anything asiátic…, I have tremendous curiosity for other culture’s food. Being Spanish I’m accustomed to eat peculiar foods such as baby octopus or deep fried tiny fish… I recently acquired a bag of chicken feet at an Asian supermarket and tried to make nourishing broth with them… I couldn’t drink it… the smell coming of it…:nauseated_face:… but I will keep trying new things… I say I would love them fried though!!!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #53

Sichuan Peppercorns

The Ma in Ma La. produces a tingly numbing sensation on the tongue.