China Snacks!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1

你好!I thought I’d share fun keto snacks I find in China. I haven’t worked my way up to chicken feet yet, but we’ll see… Today I’m sharing mackerel jerky! Most dried meat here has higher carbs than protein :roll_eyes:. This mackerel was 1.2 grams carbohydrates per 100g, and the pack contained 60g.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

(Troy) #4

Just hit the like button
Still not sure why😳

Then I thought, I already eat one former ocean pier fish bait , sardines all the time
Now I’ll try mackerel I guess too🤔
Omega 3’s a plenty I’m sure
Thanks OP

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #5

Living in another culture is a good way to expand the answer to the question, “What is food?”

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #6

More mackerel with lower carbs. And more of a jerky feel to it. I like it better!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

(Adriana) #8

Interesting thread! I’m also an adventurous eater, let´s see what else you find :grin:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #9

Duck feet :frowning: I’m not ready yet… Maybe next time I’ll do better. The gelatinous coating was unpleasant.

It almost looks like bacon. I was expecting to see an actual duck foot :rofl:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #11

Look closer… It is an actual duck foot, in tact, bones and all.

Ohhh! No thank you. I am pretty adventurous with food but I believe I draw the line at feet

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #13

Lol! This is awesome Ruina!

As a man of Japanese heritage I’m familiar with some of these snacks. I remember being at the center of a group of other 1st or 2nd grade kids eating tiny, dried, whole fish…heads and all. I still love them.

I’ve found that many Asian snacks taste pretty good, but have textures that rub Americans the wrong way.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #14

I’m learning!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #15

I have issues with some snacks that are fermented, mostly because as an American, fermented foods are unfamiliar.

Some have the same issues with fish, especially oily fish like mackeral. I love them because they’re not unfamiliar to me.

Just keep trying! You’ll find some winners. One of my favorite Chinese snacks are tiny (abt 1") dried fish fried with red chilies. Deeee-lish.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #16

I was piscatarian for about 15 years until going keto 4 months ago. So I’m good with the fish (not heads.) I still haven’t bought meat in a wet market. Gah! It’s so gross! And I don’t need to see animal man parts hanging on hooks. But it is an honest way of shopping for meat. Just have to work my way up to it. Like the gelatinous feet. (Never on the animal man parts, thank you very much.)

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #17

Lol.
Tried 'em. I don’t think you’re missing much…except prolific fertility and/or stamina, if you believe the hype. :joy:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

I’ll keep my eyes open for the tiny dried fish, and even eat the head if it is tiny and dried enough… maybe.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #19

It’s purely a mental game. The heads have no stranger texture or flavor…maybe a bit more crunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bunny) #20

This is an oldie!

Roast chicken faces & fried duck feet