China Snacks!

I think you could make mackerel jerky (or salmon or any other kind of fish) with a dehydrator and your choice of seasonings. It’s way too dang hot here now to try, but once it cools down, I’m going to try to make some. Might be interesting with Asian seasonings!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #22

I had squid on a stick for the first time! The marinade tased like it had some sugar in it, but it was only three pieces, so I figure no big deal. I forgot to take a pic, so here are some skewers waiting to be cooked.

(Adriana) #23

I’m allergic to a lot of sea food, but I have always wanted to taste squid. How was it? Would you have it again?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #24

Yeah, I’d have it again. I’ve had squid before, just not prepared like this. It doesn’t have a strong flavor, the sauce takes care of that. I think grilling is a good way to cook it, it didn’t get too rubbery like it can sometimes.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #25

@GodwinGoGo Are these the tiny dried fish you mentioned? I was imagining they were crunchy. These are not…

I ate them heads and all!

They are spicy enough you don’t get much fish flavor, more fish chewiness. They are 2.8 grams of carbs per 100 grams. The big pack has 5 10gm packs. So .28 per serving.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #26

Nope. Ive had those as well and like them. No, the ones I was talking abt are hard and crunchy/chewy…almost like a drier jerky. Some are plain and some have seasonings. All are salty.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #27

Ok, I’ll keep my eyes open.

(Adriana) #28

What kind of spices they have? Only pepper or something else?

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #29

I’ve not eaten this snack, but the fish look the same.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #30

Thanks! The fish in the picture looked dry, so I was surprised to pull out an oily clump. I’ll keep looking. :smirk:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #31

Ok, I just translated the ingredients. Pretty funny…

Sea fish (…can you be more specific?)
Vegetable oil (which “vegetable”)
Table vinegar (again… rice?)
Peppery zanthoxylum (best guess Japanese or Korean pepper)
Chili
Sugar
MSG
Food additives
Spices
Food flavors

Oh China… you’ve done it again.

(Adriana) #32

Those are the best and most specific flavors ever, hahahaha.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #33

To be fair the food additives did have parentheses listing chemicals I was too lazy to translate, and “natural flavoring” is a common ingredient in the US. (Not that that makes it okay.)

But sea fish, veg oil and vinegar seem pretty vague. Maybe veg oil and vinegar would be acceptable in the States too… it’s just weird when I look it up in a dictionary. But surely they could have been more specific with the fish!

Love the grey fingernail polish!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #35

Thanks!

(Adriana) #36

Mystery meat is everywhere…

(Adriana) #37

But yeah, nutritional labels and ingredient lists should be more clear and specific.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #38

Awesome!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #39

The type of fish doesn’t worry me; they’re often baby sardines or the like.

The oils and seasoning can be an issue. The chinese snacks I’ve tried are often fried in oils and heavily seasoned, the japanese snacks I’ve liked are salted and air dried or baked.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #40

Chinese style beef jerky:

A lot of plastic waste dude. Individually wrapped bites.