Chicken Skin! (Deepfried in coconut oil)

(Jun Yutuc) #1

Greetings,

I am new to keto woe and Ive been seeing that people are enjoying pork rinds or what we call chicharon in the Philippines a keto friendly food.

Now, I am thinking that chicken skin might be better?

I have a friend who works in a restaurant and they just throw stuffs like chicken skin etc. So, what I did today was to collect all those skins they’ll throw into waste and make a chicharon out of it for snacking!

Is this healthy and can snack on it anytime? Deepfried in coconut oil, some batch ill cook it in oven.

Looks pretty darn yummy to me but I think it’s a crime to throw away chicken skins!

(Jun Yutuc) #3

It is! If I could just share it with you right now.

I had a 1 piece of skin right now and it tastes really good. Planning to snack on it later but since I am on my 27th hour of fast, ill hit the cardio machine first to burn calories before breaking my fast.

May the force be with me on this as Im really salvating already hehe!

(Mike Glasbrener) #4

Dang they look good!

(Ethan) #5

There is a Hungarian dish just like this for each kind of meat skin:

(Pete A) #6

You had me at “deep-fried in coconut oil” haha

(Rebecca) #7

I do them deep fried in lard and they are awesome.

(Joel) #8

As long as it is in coconut oil and not some hydrogenated alternative I say go for it. Looks yummy :hushed:

(Jun Yutuc) #9

Thanks everyone!

I enjoyed my dinner last night. Cebu Lechon with chicken skin!

(Georgia) #10

I visited a Filipino market the other day and saw chicken chicharrones for the first time. Can’t wait to try them.

(Ken) #11

One of the things my favorite Chinese buffet used to have was veggies rolled up in chicken skins and deep fried. (sprouts, bamboo shoots, cabbage, carrot slivers, scallions) I do it now at home, but don’t often get enough skins. I’d buy’em by the case if they were available.

My meat wholesaler actually sells cases of pork skin. The pieces are too small for wraps, but the right size for deep frying.

(Jun Yutuc) #12

I recently tried both pork skin and chicken skin cooked the same way and I find the chicken skin tastier than the pork skin (chicharones)

I am wondering if chicken skin has high protein too or it is more on fats?

Nom nom nommmms yums yummy yum.

Makes me think about asking at the Whole Foods butcher counter if they’ll sell me some chicken skin. Certainly they must toss it from all their skinless chicken breasts/thighs etc. A couple pounds of it a week fried in refined coconut oil and well salted and served with various sauces/dips/seasonings… oh my!

(Ken) #14

Every now and the I buy a whole raw uncured ham. The best part of it is the skin, complete with a delicious layer of fat underneath. I peel the skin and fat off, and cut it into large pieces that will fit into my jet stream type oven. I season the skin and roast it fat down until the skin is crunchy. It’s incredibly delicious, pure fatty, porky goodness.

The best oil for deep frying is beef fat/tallow. It tolerates high temperatures well. After using you just strain it and keep it in a covered container in the fridge. It keeps for a really long time.

(Jen) #15

Definitely!

(Ken) #16

I just found out my meat wholesaler can get’em. Next Thursday I’ll have 40lbs. of them, at .99 cents a pound…

(Jun Yutuc) #17

Thats like 18 kilos of chicken skin! Damn! Are you sure you want to get all those? Make sure your ref/freezer has enough space for those. That would be a lot.

(Ken) #18

That’s the beauty of having a chest freezer. I’m picking up 60lbs. of fatty pork at the same time.

(Ken) #19

Case of chicken skin update.

It’s awesome! When I initially received the case I had to partially thaw it so I could repackage the skins into smaller amounts, two to three lb. bags which I then refroze.

I first recreated the Chinese recipe by using stir fried veggies seasoned with Five Spices powder. I rolled’em up in the large pieces and added in some of the smaller chunks of fat that came in the case. I closed the rolls with toothpicks and roasted them in my jet stream until golden brown and crispy. Excellent! Talk about delicious and a huge leptin response! An added bonus is the delicious chicken fat in the bottom of the roaster.

Now, if I don’t want to go to the trouble of veggies, I just take the pieces and twist them up into large corkscrew shaped pieces, season them with generic “chicken seasoning” and roast until crispy. Far superior to pork rinds and much more satisfying. They’re easily a meal by themselves. If you have the freezer space, I highly recommend you try them.