Chicken 'n Rice - Keto Comfort Food?

(Sophie) #1

I’ve been testing recipes for keto stuffing/dressing this past weekend and ended up with lots of cooked, shredded chicken. So, I had to figure out what to do with all that chicken because the dog wasn’t getting it! For some reason all I could think of was chicken 'n rice! Sometimes, I can be one of those cooks that throws stuff into a pot and it works out. This is what I did:

I took (2) 10oz bags of frozen, riced cauliflower and used the biggest frying pan I had to cook the cauli on med heat.
When that was cooked, I added the shredded chicken to heat that up, because it was cold, along with a 4oz. can of mushrooms that had been drained of liquid.
Next, I added 4oz of cream cheese in small pieces, put the lid on for about 5mins so the cheese melted and stirred that in with about 4Tbs of HWC. Of course, I seasoned everything with poultry seasoning and salt & pepper to taste.
When the mix was hot and the texture was how I wanted it (not sloppy), I poured the mix into a buttered casserole dish, topped it with a few handfuls of cheddar and put it under the broiler in the oven for about 5mins until the cheese was melted and bubbly!

It rang all the bells and whistles and even Non-keto hubby approved. I was surprised. Try it, you’ll like it!
eta: I forgot to add the mushrooms! d’oh :blush:

(Kim Cook) #2

My kids have been asking me to make Chicken & Rice for so long. It used to be a family favorite until I went keto. I just didn’t have the heart to make it & not be able to eat it OR muck it up with cauli-rice… but I might just give it a shot, this weekend! We are getting a cold snap in Florida, so it’ll be perfect time to try it out! Thanks for posting!

(Sophie) #3

I hope your family likes it! I also made another one using left over turkey from Thanksgiving. It turned out really good too. Let us know what you think.

(Sophie) #4

I made another casserole yesterday and changed the cooking somewhat. I put all the stuff together the same but mixed in some steamed broccoli and a handful of cheddar. Then I covered it with foil and baked for about 30mins @ 350F, removed the foil and bumped the heat up to broil for about 7mins until the cheese on top was brown and bubbly. I snagged a pic tonight on the leftovers.