Chicken fat... too much omega 6?

Chicken fat is 25% omega 6 which is highest of all animals,compared to 4% for tallow & butter,its closer to seed oils.Is this problem? Should I stop eating chicken wings?

(TJ Borden) #2

I pray to god no… I can’t make it without chicken wings

LOL! I can relate :rofl: ( nervously prays )

(Rob) #4

I don’t think that is the conclusion. If you are worried (most aren’t) then all you need to do is to balance it with a little more O3 fat so you maintain a good ratio, which I believe is the most important thing. If you eat O3 rich things anyway (fish, fish oil, certain nuts, etc.) then it shouldn’t really matter at all.

I second what @Capnbob said.
Also for reference,
100g of chicken thighs with skin
239 kcals
13.2g fat
0.2g Omega 3
2.7g Omega 6
0.3g trans
28.2g protein

I realized you were asking for chicken wings instead lol. I eat thighs almost daily so I put that instead!

Chicken wings (100g)
254kcals
16.9g fat
0.2g o3
3.3g o6
0.1g trans
23.8g pro

Pretty similar

It doesnt look that bad on paper.The problem is I eat 1 kilo of wings in one sitting,thats 27g of omega 6.

(Steve) #8

Heh…that’s what I used to eat. :slight_smile: 2 pounds (just shy of 1 kilo) Isn’t that a lot of protein too?? Have you weighed the bones after to see how much you’re actually ingesting? (the larger wings - those jumbo ones, if that’s what you’re eating, I’d suspect the bone weight would be pretty significant).

Just weighed the other half of the batch that I had last night - only 226g :open_mouth: Thought I was having a pound by eating 12 of these…shouldn’t have assumed. :slight_smile: That’s half a pound. But, I’m presuming restaurant “pounds” are pre-cook weight - not post cook.

(karen) #9

Buy pastured / grass fed chicken. It’s the opposite - more omega 3 than 6.

that’s an article about raising chickens, but it will give you the gist of the nutrition.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Seems to me that if you cook your chicken in tallow or coconut oil, you should be fine. Also, doesn’t it matter what the chickens were fed on?