Chia seeds

I personally hate chia seeds, anytime I have eaten them I have had awful digestive discomfort. I read somewhere that chia seeds should never be consumed dry, if they are they can cause “blockage” because once they get in there they steal your bodies water to puff up…said chia should always be soaked before it’s consumed, long enough to turn into that jelly-slime lol

(Libby) #8

+1 : take some magnesium. I take magnesium aspartate. I can really tell when I have skipped too many days. It also decreases leg cramps.

(Todd Allen) #9

I use chia in small amounts to thicken things like yogurt and salad dressings. A few times I’ve added them but failed to fully mix them in and later found a brick like chunk of chia sitting on top. Definitely not something I’d want to form in large quantity in my intestines.

(Troy) #10

For me, in this earlier WOE, I would make chia seed pudding bowls
Others really enjoy or eat often. YMMV
I just eliminated completely

I did get bloated - Then right to “ pudding “ in the other “ bowl “…
Not fun

Good Luck either way

(Bunny) #11

Here are some tips and info on how to use chia seeds CORRECTLY:

[1] How to Eat Chia Seeds Without Getting Constipated or Bloated

[2] ”…Chia was so prized by the ancient Aztecs that it was used as a form of currency. Aztec warriors would take a small pouch of chia seeds on long journeys as a SMALL AMOUNT could sustain a grown man for days. The Tarahumara Indians of Mexico known for their unearthly running endurance would take a chia seed drink to sustain and recharge during races that have been known to last days and span more than a hundred miles in rugged desert canyon terrain. …” …More

(Bunny) #12

A pre-existing leaky gut is why you form oxalates, oxalates are not the cause of a leaky gut.

It’s a vicious cycle. Oxalate microcrystals physically irritate the epithelium and can break open gap junctions. This allows the next round of oxalate to get in more easily. That being said, some people seem to be quite tolerant of oxalate and pound down high oxalate foods their whole life without issue.

(Bunny) #14

Deeper question, why would you be forming oxalates (microcrystals) that are doing all this damage to begin with?

Oxalate forming foods do not automatically form crystalline particulates.

Who says the body is forming them? They are usually already formed in the foods. Oxalic acid and oxalate salts tend to have poor solubility. Some plants, such as Dieffenbachia have very large oxalate crystals. These can Lodge in the mouth and throat causing pain, redness, and an inability to speak, hence the common name of “dumb cane.”

Dissolved oxalate can be toxic too. Eating rhubarb leaves can be deadly due to their oxalate content. There is even a case of someone binging on enough sorrel soup to die from oxalate poisoning.

(Bunny) #16

Well, I guess eating exotic things like rhubarb leaves and other exotic parts of plants with preformed crystals are not such a good idea?

(traci simpson) #17

I love sorrel, I grew French Sorrel in my garden.

It’s not, but people do it. Oxalic acid is what makes many plants, like the aforementioned rhubarb and sorrel, so delightfully sour. Can’t win them all. I generally avoid oxalate, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying a bar of Lily’s every now and then.

(Ethan) #19

Ummm no… oxalates are naturally occurring in plants. It’s unclear how many we make endogenously, but it is well established that foods high in oxalates can cause a buildup in the body. It is absolutely not the case that a leaky gut causes us to make them. They penetrate the gut, which is a Potential cause of the leak he got. They bind with minerals in the body and wreak havoc.

That’s super interesting to me, I do have MTHFR, maybe why me and Chia seeds don’t mesh :face_with_monocle:

(Bunny) #21

I would like to see the research on this?

(Ethan) #22

There were a ton of discussions on this on the HPO podcasts recently

(Bunny) #23

Actual Research papers not podcasts?

(Ethan) #24

They had the researchers on it. You can deny oxalates are bad. You can say they are only bad for some people. But there is no place at all that says we create them in our bodies because we we have leaky gut syndrome. We know oxalates are in plants. We know they become soluble: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22642066. We believe some people can deal with them, but others cannot. We think that gut microbiome may be part of why some can deal with them, but the oxalates themselves still come from the food: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30903295. Not many studies are done because it doesn’t fit the plant-friendly narrative.

(Bunny) #25

From the research you just cited and the previous research I presented in another post!

”…RECENT FINDINGS: Initially, Oxalobacter formigenes (OF) was pursued as the main link between GMB and USD given its ability to degrade oxalate in the gut. However, the latest studies consistently suggest that the entire GMB is much more likely to be involved in handling oxalate absorption and other risk factors for urinary stone formation, rather than just a few microbiota. …” …More

“Belief” and “denying” is a process of elimination, sometimes people want to “believe” what somebody else is saying without really reading anything and that then invokes unfounded hysteria with the use of “We” (who is we?).

(Ethan) #26

Yes, but note how none of them have anything like your assertion that because of a leaky gut, the body CREATES the oxalates.