Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

How was the smell? I was once in a house when they were preparing kidney and that smell was just awful… :frowning:

I didn’t notice any smell but perhaps I’ve gotten used to weird smells after months of consuming liver and brains, lol. Also, apparently smells that bother some don’t bother others. Since being keto (3 years strict keto and now carnivore) I’ve read of folks who cannot stand the smell of bacon in the house! WOW…I LOVE the smell of bacon and I love the taste even more! :+1:

Kidney made according to that recipe DOES have a taste but I like the taste while others may not. Try boiling it a bit longer if the rare taste is too strong. The more I eat organ meats the more used to the taste I get. I’ve also noticed that all liver isn’t created equal. White Oak Pastures liver is a lot sweeter than other livers I’ve tried so far.

Could be, our tastes and senses change over time. :slight_smile: I would never eat the greasy part of meat, you should see me now. :joy:
I’m thinking about going full carnivore and I believe in organ meats (I love liver), but I can’t wrap my head around brain and kidneys. I will have to just dive in one day and experiment.

interesting to read this cause I like bacon still, just don’t eat it as much but I came home from shopping one day and hubby fried bacon and I hated the smell in the house. I thought, huh? Me? Not liking it???

But if I fry it and eat it I am fine, if hubby fries it and I don’t want any, the smell is just not as good to me.

No clue why on that at all. I think we truly just change longer on zero carb. I know I ate so different when I started to now. What meats I won’t eat anymore.

so wild tho has we progress :slight_smile:

wow, 5 beers yesterday with my best friend hanging out at her house and chatting and laughing etc.

felt good to ‘party up a bit’. usually would never ever touch beer but it is all we could get our paws on so we went for it :slight_smile:

so I went down fast, party time was fun, hated the taste mostly but I did not care, I sucked those beers down like crazy. Got slightly buzzed up and we had a blast.

got home and got icky very quickly. I drank tons of water to help and it did…the bloat. omg the bloaty in my tummy. felt like I gained 10 lbs in an instant.

but it left. a lot of water handled it. I ate lighter in meat cause my guts wouldn’t allow heavy steak etc. Ate some tuna and shrimp and some salami. Yea I paid for a day of feeling gut icky but heck I put it in the ‘needed that fun time’ category of life LOL

today I got ribeye and shrimp for later.
had a small cheeseburger for breakfast, I was so hungry when I got up. Now I wanna eat again but too early…another hr or 2 and I will hit that ribeye and really want it.

all going very well here and I hope everyone else is doing well thru the crazy world times right now!!

I received my box of LIVER CRISPS today. ‘Carnivore Aurelius’ sells them so I thought I’d give 'em a try. They were actually pretty good. They kinda look like jerky but they are thin so they crunch like a chip. The first bite lets you know that you are eating LIVER, lol, but after that it’s not bad. I mean, they are still liver but much tastier and easier than cooking up a batch. If I wasn’t PKD carnivore I’d dip these chips into some onion dip. The expiration date is a year from now and these would be a handy “eat on the go” item. They are pricy though so I’m not sure how well they will go over.

Ingredients are liver, purified water and sea salt.

So holding my low on the scale. Those nasty 5 beers didn’t do anything to me…a blessing for sure. Can’t push that window open at all. I go any further on testing me and junky stuff in my body and all crap can break loose…on tight zero carb for sure!!

I am on reset. I don’t know what is happening but my appetite is monster changing right now. To a lot less food. Like my body says, you are nourished. you are functioning on high good alert and you do not require food. I am thinking more of a one meal a day situation with maybe a very light nibble of something else if wanted. I am falling off my 2 big meals per day. I am a 1 lb. ribeye steak first meal of the day and then I do some peel eat shrimp later, maybe a big 1/2-3/4 lb. cheeseburger or whatever, but I do eat again on top of that 1 lb. beef.

But last few days I am feeling a reset coming. Like I knew it was coming yet didn’t quite get it just yet, my body telling me we are gonna make some changes :slight_smile: I was wondering why I couldn’t eat a whole 1 lb. steak like I did so fast, now I am eating like 3/4 of it. Why I am blowing thru the day with the smallest of hunger pangs, pangs that don’t require big meat at all and almost no food wanted.

It is a different feeling of being satiated with meat and fat and the body is full and not requiring a meal as it processes the one ya gave it…this feeling is more void of want. A different situation kinda. I don’t know LOL kinda more of a feeling of we are gonna eat exactly as I tell you to eat, that is all we will need. Like the body signals are truly taking over my mind now in the food dept. It isn’t I will have a 1 lb. steak today, it is now, hey I am your body and you are only gonna eat 1/2 that steak today, you won’t be eating all that 1 lb. at all. My mind says, ok, cool LOL I can’t describe it kinda but it is going down for sure :sunny:

I have a ‘new feeling inside’ me again. I can’t put my finger on it but one thing I do know point blank…it is a fantastic feeling :slight_smile: Zero carb changes us so so much. I love it. But it takes a lot of time on plan for these real big changes to happen. I am into year 3, tightened up my zero carb life due to Cheryl’s challenge and I am feeling so wonderful…changing now again into who knows what pattern, but it is all a good thing :slight_smile: I will go with the flow my body wants to take me.

I love zc to the ultimate :slight_smile: Hope everyone else is doing fab!!

(Daisy) #1110

Ok I’m not gonna say it’s my new favorite food. I didn’t hate it, but that’s about it lol

LOL!! Well it IS an organ meat after all. :smile: I actually like the taste but perhaps it would be more appealing to you if you soaked it in milk or other stuff for a while and then tried it? My main motivation in eating this way is that liver and kidneys are soooooo full of vitamins and minerals. I’d rather eat those instead of taking a bunch of pills.

Did you cook yours on the rare side? They said if you cooked it longer the taste would be less but I was concerned it would be rubbery, ugh. Big Congrats to you though for giving it a try! :+1:

(Daisy) #1112

Yes, I definitely cooked it towards the lower side. I hard boiled it for 7 minutes since Tristan said he likes his less done than she made it at 8 minutes. I ate half of the kidney and will not waste the other half. The other kidney I have in the freezer may get mixed with ground beef lol. We’ll see.
I’m a little nervous to eat so much at a time since I had such a bad reaction to eating so much beef heart at once. I just heard today that you should ease into offal parts as your body can have bad reactions.

Darn. Up a lb. First time in seems like forever I am actually UP. My usual is just holding my low all the time til I drop 1/2 lb.

But I hit bacon. I hit a ton of bacon over the last few days LOL

My ‘reset’ I am feeling, like a change is coming to less food, I don’t know, now it has ramped up the other way. Not starving, but the thought of eating less steak has me upset in a way and it is not a bad thing, :), it is just like right now I feel like I was heading in a direction, now I feel like I am jumping all around and don’t know where I will end up ‘’‘if’’’ a real change is coming? heck I don’t know and I ain’t worrying about it.

I hit bacon last 2 nights and I don’t go in low ya know…I don’t do ‘slices’, I do ‘packs’ of bacon HAHA

But I feel salty. Truly. I can taste salty in my mouth. Brushed my teeth a bit ago and I swear I was rinsing with salt water I can taste it that much.

Hubby was frying bacon this morning and says you want some. NO!

I am eating a 1 lb. ribeye later (watching my heavy handed salt I use) and a bunch of peel/eat shrimp.

I have to de-salt myself.

So I best eat and go with the flow and just let it happen as it happens and not guess where I am going :slight_smile: heck I can’t seem to get it right in a way but the thing is, the more ‘I think about my menu etc’ the more I totally can F it up and I ain’t kidding on that. I need to let it all go. Forget it. Eat all I want when I want, don’t eat obvy if not hungry and start just super basic again—super basic and simple I thrive!! I think too much on this and I get jumbled. No more thinking!! Sounds good to me!

(Daisy) #1114

You have had so many drops, don’t let yourself get down by a lb, you’re doing awesome!!!

I discovered that I am not going to be one of those magical creatures not affected by the sun on carnivore. My face looks like a lobster lol.

I did make carnivore pizza today though, it was soooo good!

Thanks KD…nicely 1/2 of that l lb is gone this morning :slight_smile:
by tomorrow I should be holding my new low again. What I love about ZC is I never ever gain anything even if I eat a ton. But that sodium gets me every time LOL

Hey that pic looks delish! How did you make the base? Is that just chicken flattened or did you do a recipe type thing for it…just wondering, it looks so good!

(Daisy) #1116

The base was a lb of ground chicken, a sprinkle of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese (I have to be careful with cheese), 2 eggs and a generous dosing of salt. Mix together and flattened on parchment paper on my cast iron round griddle. Baked at 500 for around 20 minutes for the thickness I used. Most people I saw do it thinner on a rectangular baking sheet for 10 minutes. But I loved it this way. Then toppings added to taste (I used pepperoni, salami, ham, bacon and cheese) and back in the oven for 10 minutes. Just as good as a cold leftover as it was hot!!

thanks, that sounds simple and easy to mix up…and heck yea, cold…who doesn’t eat leftover pizza cold, oops meatza….:slight_smile: appreciate the info, I will be making it.

Woke up and my body said you need tuna and sardines.

So with my steak tonight I am eating some tuna and sardines. My surf and turf meal!

I listen to what my body asks for and if it says you need some fish in your body, then I will eat up some fish LOL

All good.
Sunny nice day here. In a ‘wanna relax’ mood so I think dragging out the lounge chair from the garage and hanging out on the back porch in the sun is on my list to do today!

Hit the store this morning.

Jackpot. Jumbo frozen shrimp on sale—buy one get one free.
got 6 bags. 6 days of food :slight_smile:
Will go back before sale ends on Tues. and grab more.

Hit sirloin steak on a good sale. Got one family pack size…only 1…yea cause that is all the meat man had at this time…so I nabbed it :slight_smile:

and salmon on sale. grabbed 2 for hubby (I wish I loved fish, just don’t) but tuna and sardines are my fish eating life but with such a good price drop had to grab some for him.

I did great.

ribeye and shrimp for me later today—YUM

Mandarins are in season now. They are not yet sweet, still a bit sour. But my body (and Chris Kresser) are saying it’s OK to get a natural wholefood source of Vitamin C at the start of the flu season here. The plums are long gone. It was a good season for pears. The large buck kangaroo stripped the apple tree of blossom and leaves back in spring, so no crop this year. the tree bounces back from it’s hard pruning.

Mainly eating carnivore adjacent. Stews rich in a bone broth base. Eggs bacon, sardines and seaweed when I break fast at lunch time. We have chickens now, so sufficient for egg production and efficient use of kitchen scraps resources. Coffee with cream. Some cheese. Yep, I’ve fallen off the meat wagon to a soft landing in keto. The fruit is scheduled at night after my second meal but a few hours before bed.

Through this my wife lost her jobs. My work got busier, but I am working from home and thankful for the job. Mostly thankful for my friends who labelled me (us) as ‘hippies’ for moving to the rural countryside, paying off all our debt with some big effort years of hard work, built an off grid tiny home that has it’s own water, electricity and waste management. We formed community connection in this new place and enjoy the physical environment. Those friends’ laughter buoyed me up and fed my inner contrarian. These days they chat with me, they can’t stop snacking, they are losing jobs or businesses and fear for the debts they owe and losing the large homes full of stuff that shelter(ed) their families. I listen and I listen. I can’t fix it for them. I might be able to, but I’ve learnt not to do that unless requested. For now they are venting and not listening. So I do the listening.

I asked them today, en masse, through social media, Who wants to go back to normal? And I added, I don’t. being keto and then keto-carnvore was so abnormal to them, but they accepted that abnormal is normal for me. I hope I can help them a bit more when they are ready.

This was the sky over the food forest last night.

WOW that pic was so pretty. Very calming. That is what I like in my life now. As something so simple as truly my food intake has changed and I am thriving physically now with my general well being, etc., just appreciating a beautiful sky like your pic and its calming serene feeling it gives me is wonderful :slight_smile:

You know what is funny. I see ‘what is normal’ now as abnormal. It is like 2 alien worlds to me. I was in one world that everyone said is normal yet I strived all the time to get out of ‘that normal’ placed on us. I am like you FB, I am a country gal, farmer, outdoor person, gadget hating type, minimalist type, off the grid type person, kinda prepper type for sure. Less is more to me. Less is more to me sounds so simple for many and they ‘get it a bit’ but can’t find it in their lives…yet I live it all the time and find my most comfort in those few little words :slight_smile: The more on me in a ‘so called normal’ life the more I flounder…the less on me the more I thrive :slight_smile:

Sorry thru this your wife is losing her jobs and being effected and luckily you are doing ok in your career and it can fit into the crazy of life right now.

Live your normal. AND THRIVE…that is how we help other people. Thru example of our daily life, our happy living that life, our healing thru our clean food intake, finding ourselves and living our personal truths as we see fit. I know I woke up older I got :slight_smile: Sure wish I figured it all out a few decades ago LOL

Great post FB!! Loved reading how well you are doing and enjoy always reading your posts!!

So eating is spot on and doing well.

Yes I have been eyeing the chocolate the Easter Bunny brought for my kid LOL and no I won’t touch it :slight_smile:

Still ever so slowly dropping like 1/2 lb. every 2-3 weeks, more like every 3 weeks LOL but hey it is down and down ever so slightly but it seems at this rate the last 20 vanity lbs I want off me are gonna take forever…but I am ok with that. I feel so darn good I am not letting this last 20 lbs. monkey with my brain.

Just keep on doing as I am doing…good things all come my way on this plan as long as I hold the plan all in. I am fine with that :sunny:

So people fight the last 10 lbs all the time, I am slowly fighting the last 20 but in the end, it is just a number ya know. My zero carb eating will put my body where it needs to be on its own timeline. All I have to do is eat well each day, eat what I need and let the other part take care of itself…I need to keep remembering just that :wink:

Hope everyone is doing well on ZC and holding strong!!