Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

(Daisy) #1043

I started with the challenge, but didn’t put my heart into it and fell off part way through. Rejoined with vigor Dec 30th. I’ve done well, still won’t weigh myself but did a quick measuring last week and based off of past measurements, I would guess I’m down close to 10 lbs and several inches. Digestion got bad at the beginning of carnivore but doing well now. I posted my list of improvements a week or so ago. I would add that I feel like my sex hormones are improving and my libido is VERY slowly healing. It’s been at zero-negative numbers most of my adult life. It’s now at maybe 5% lol. Hey, I’ll take it. I’m not stopping, though in summer I will have no issues with eating local fresh in season produce when I want to. I want to eat ancestrally and I feel like seasonal produce is part of that.
I’ve also been doing a little more dairy lately, but also more organs and trying to do more fat.

(Not a cow) #1044

I didn’t start with this challenge, but did get in on the January 2020 carnivore challenge. Started fine, but could not last more than 8 days at a time. Actually I had a 7 week spurt, and then an 8 week spurt, but in between many many sugar cravings that I gave in to. Had lost about 6 lbs in the month of January but because of the cheats, ended up by mid February at 10 lbs heavier then when I started. That’s 10lbs heavier plus the 6 i had lost.

Good news is that I never waivered on me meat intake, certainly no vegetables on the menu for me, just the sweets, and since February 16 I have been strict, no sweets, and am back down lower than my Jan 1 starting weight.

I will continue on with trying to be strict, ( starting a kick sugar summit, which is free, next week) Kick Sugar Summit Facebook Page to get some new ideas on staying out of the chocolate and other sweets stores.

My digestive system seems to have adapted, and all other positive symptoms of Keto seem to be the same so far in carnivore. I’m enjoying it, love the simplicity, and ease of cooking and shopping. Looking forward to getting some brain clarity as I still feel a little foggy, but overall good. Energy good, mood good, no complaints by me.

Oh yes, Food today

3 Fried Eggs
4 oz Beef Liver
4 oz Hamburger patty
Strip of thick bacon
12 oz Wild Salmon (tonight)
12 large shrimp (tonight)
Butter dipping sauce

KD you had your share of troubles thru it all but your strength and vigor on wanting change is impressive! You are doing very well!!
So you are going back to keto for the in season produce. Will be interesting to see how it effects you. I am glad you are up to at least 5% :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Carnivore heals the body. You are on your way to that but be watchful when ya add veg back? Just experiment on yourself and see where you land the best for your body and lifestyle.

MOO…great report. Kicking that sugar draw is a real deal hard thing for many going into zero carb. I know :slight_smile: but you are tackling it and doing great!! I love your ‘no complaints by me’ and your food list is very nice…you are eating fine my friend!!
Hold strong, more benefits to this way of life will come the longer on plan, we carnivores change wonderfully the more we hold firm~you got this!

food yesterday was

8 oz ribeye
1/3 lb. cheeseburger
3 small chicken breasts
5 slices bacon

I got out in the sunshine, but had to bundle up a bit, that big wind is super chilly coming at ya :slight_smile: walked the dog for a while and my mood has lifted higher now. I am an outdoor person but when cold I do indoors and I get antsy to say the least.

Woke up in a better frame of mind since spring is coming around the corner now and feel more in tune with me just upon waking so that is always good for me LOL

Heading out with my bestie for goofing off shopping, chatting and going out to lunch. Lunch, omg. Probably either chicken wings I don’t really like anymore or a dry old icky burger I hate ordering from anywhere, mine at home are way better :slight_smile: or maybe plop down the bucks for a steak? eating one at home, I can eat 2 steaks for the price of one ordering out LOL Will find something to nosh on.

All going well. Feeling great this morning and hope as temps get higher so does my mood, so far so good this morning, feel more zippy and alive! :slight_smile:

Our challenge time is over.

I have been waiting to try this experiment on me!! Now I will do just that…but I say again…this is what I want to try, never recommending it for anyone else.

I AM EXPERIMENTING ON ME. Not recommending for anyone else really but I thought I would let ya’ll know what I am gonna do since our challenge is over, I am in a good place on eating and wanna try something new now :slight_smile:

How to lose fat on carnivoe. Dr Kevin Stock writes some ways to do this…he says tho and is very adamant about not many should do this if newer on carnivore and it is a risky thing to ‘control’ zero carb…he says many times that-----In conclusion, most people never need to “tinker” with The Carnivore Diet.
It is why I was hesitant to even write this. However, for those vain like myself, these 3 Steps can help you get “unnaturally” lean – just beware of the trade-offs you make with the devil.

I absolutely understand his point in real truth. We manipulate, control carnivore and we can backslide and fail very quickly. But I am a longer term zero carb eater. Years under my belt. I can walk into this easier, adjust and bob and weave thru it and be ‘alright’…not go into wild and wooly thoughts like a newer person might do and backslide etc.

I like that Dr Stock thru the last part on how to eat to lose and move lbs off says GO VERY slowly. He states how to walk thru this process without much dramatic change at all. Start small, see what works, go to another step a bit if needed and see what works.

I also hesitate to put this info on the board. I don’t want someone to come in and ‘try’ this if they are not a more long term type zero carb plan person.

But this might be good carnivore info to bookmark if one needs it in the future when they have plan control and eating patterns are locked in and our bodies have healed more thru this journey.

I have been losing very slow now. Knocked off 30-35 lbs fast but now it is 1/2 lb. drops here and there. I want faster loss at this point. I will not however go past beyond a comfort point of lower eating. I know me, I get into a feeling of tougher hunger and I will panic. I know me so I will try his protocols and listen to his big advice in the end of the read, be careful what deal you make with the devil :slight_smile: and will see how I fare thru trying his recommendations.

OK GUYS…this is an experiment on me. I am doing what he mentioned, doing it for vanity lbs. I am doing it for the wrong reasons mostly but I don’t care, I am in that zone of what I want and some experimenting on me is what I want right now. I will keep ya’ll updated on how I feel going low on zero carb. Should be very interesting I think on how I change up my eating and how it effects me. I am a very big heavy meat eater and while I still lose it is very slow, I now want an experiment on me to go into another realm of it all :slight_smile: Again, doing this for me, not recommending anyone go there with me ever!!!

ok today is day 1 of my new experiment that I want to try!!! Wish me luck :slight_smile:

(Daisy) #1047

The way I see it is that I still have 4 to 5 months before there will be any local seasonal produce to experiment with. I’m going to hold strict carnivore until then. By that time, I feel like I’ll have a good handle on myself enough to know what is working and what isn’t. That’s the plan anyway!

(Daisy) #1048

Good luck! Please keep us updated. I’m switching my approach ever so slightly to a more keto af/pkd approach (more fat, less food). Today I’m doing a bit of a fat fast. Got a little heavy on the cheese over the weekend. I did eat my beef tongue!

That is a really good plan Daisy :slight_smile: In all that time anything you do add back you will get real body experience if you feel well on it or if it nails your body in any way. That is the best way to do an elimination menu like this one. Smart! And switching into PKD every so slowly…wow.

Yes I will keep you updated on how I do cause I don’t do well on lower food so I will stay on my toes on how I approach this :slight_smile:

food yesterday was

ICKY

went out to lunch with best friend and we hit a buffet type. holy. inferior food for sure. I stayed zero carb obviously but all that junk set against my guts. Feel super body icky this morning and bloated and nasty.

I had a few pieces of pot roast from a tray, small piece dried out nasty baked chicken which I sure didn’t finish at all, some bacon slices (tasted ok but not my liking of bacon I buy) and a slice of ham, and I don’t like ham and nibbled it but in the end nothing else on that full buffet suit me at all to even bother trying. Everything was slathered in sugar bbq sauce or some sauce loaded with sugar or fried chicken or fried everything.

We had a blast tho on our day out goofing off, food took a backseat but left me gut lousey yesterday and into today and I hardly ate anything and that shows me my body doesn’t want this crappy food. Simple as that. Big reaction from a small amt of ick food. ugh

Didn’t eat anything else in the day due to over bloating.

So today is ‘start’ fresh. Got no plans that revolve around eating out etc. So that is good :slight_smile: Hitting grocery for a few things to stock up to do my ‘experiment’ on zero carb and see what goes down.

I have to say the amount of nasty food out there people are scarfing down is unreal. Longer I do my healthy eating and more thru the years, I see truthfully the food is far from being nutritious or of any quality out there. Just a usual eye opener for me to see all the slop being shoveled into everyone’s gob…and people had this crap piled very high on their plates. ugh LOL

oh well, today is my day for my experiment and away I go.

(Edith) #1051

I’ve upped my fat and lowered my protein to be more PKD like. My morning blood sugar is lower and my ketones are higher. I’ve always had high-ish blood sugar and low ketones in the morning since I started keto. The higher fat ratio and smaller quantity is making a difference, with the blood numbers at least. I actually feel like I have more energy with more fat and less protein, too.

So I cut back the size of my ribeye…had 1 chicken breast instead of 2…used way less grass fed butter to fry up my chicken breast…ate 4 sausage links instead of my usual 7…and I was hungry toward the evening but decided not to eat since it was later. I wasn’t dying so…

I think this ‘dieting off lbs. faster’ I best take in baby steps. Woke up not too hungry at all but I feel like when I do eat something later, I am gonna be ravenous.

So today I will up the fat a bit to hopefully cover that and eat a bit more steak then I did yesterday and see how I feel on that.

I am so used to eating exactly as much as I want at all times in my day. The minute I put emphasis on cutting back intentionally my body and mind is like…oh no you don’t…I feel the rebellion coming on already in just like 2 days LOL omg HAHA

But it is cool. If I can’t continue this experiment and just go back to eat what I want, as much as I want at any given time and forget thinking about any of this BS…I will just lose my last vanity lbs. slower is all, and again, I am cool with just that. This isn’t make or break for me at all.

So just where I am at and doing ok tho. Will see how much longer I take my little experiment before I crack a bit HA

(Heather) #1053

@Fangs I haven’t been carnivore nearly as long as you or been nearly as successful as you. I started keto in October of 2018 and then transitioned to carnivore in December of 2019 (I’m just a baby :blush:). I’ve been quietly following your story throughout this challenge and your posts have been so encouraging and helpful to me.

I did start out by eating meat to satiety daily and sometime that would mean eating 2 or more times per day. I gained about 8 pounds since starting. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try OMAD. I found that the first few days were difficult, as my body was looking for food at a certain time of the day that it was used to getting food. Once I got through 3-4 days of OMAD, my body adjusted. It no longer was “hungry” for food a lunchtime. When dinner comes (around 4pm for me), I eat and I eat good! Typically a 1-1.25 lb. chuck steak or 3 chicken thighs, a couple of eggs and 2 ounces of cheese (which I am trying to cut out :grin:). The scale is moving in the right direction again for me.

There are certainly days when I do eat more than once per day, especially around the time of my cycle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Otherwise things are working well.

I’ll be interested to watch you continue your journey and see what kind of results you obtain. I feel the same way–if I find myself getting too hungry, I too will go back to just eating when I want. I haven’t felt this good in years!

I’m still going along quite contented with eating carnivore! I guess I was part of Cheryl’s challenge since I had just started carnivore (PKD) when she started the challenge. I’ve been super busy as a new Caregiver for a very dear friend who lives with us (stroke and some sort of dementia/Alhzeimers) so I’ve not been able to post as often as I would have liked to. Anyone who has been in this situation will understand. :heart:

This month I will be 5 months PKD (Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet) and I feel like I just started, lol. I have to say though…it is getting mighty hard to find any burger/organ mix packages to buy these days. I’ve made my own burger/liver and burger/heart combinations but burger and kidney or spleen? While I don’t mind eating 'em, the thought of looking at them and prepping them for a burger mixture is kinda…ewwww, lol. Point is…eating organ meats/burger blends seems to have become a popular past-time since all the places I used to order them at are almost always sold out now. Maybe carnivore is catching on? :+1:

@Fangs I’m watching your experiment with great interest. :slight_smile:

Btw…hubby has been doing the carnivore diet with me. I’d say he’s more KetoAF since for his ‘fat’ intake he consumes a lot of HWC. It’s just easier for him. Anyway, he NEVER snores anymore and he sleeps very quietly. Have you ever heard folks who breathe heavy when sitting or sleeping? He used to do that at night but sleeps like he’s almost drugged now. I was always a light sleeper which was super frustrating. I sleep like a rock now.

Very slowly, we can see our skin clearing up with spots fading and some are gone. My bowels continue to slowly heal and I’m very happy about that. At 63, maybe I’m healing slower than some others but I’m healing and that’s always a good thing! :smile:

Everyone here is a huge inspiration! Keep on going, folks! Very proud of each one of you! :heart:

HI RR!
A carnivore baby…love it!

I know gaining lbs is discouraging for anyone but you stuck thru it all and comfortably were able to change your eating pattern without sabotaging yourself. Your Keto discipline and then your carnivore food is satisfying to you and you were able to change it up and now those gained lbs. are leaving. And that is how it is done, you are doing fab!

As long as you eat as you need on any given day when hungry you got this walk into zero carb handled. So many try to immediately not ‘eat alot’ and control their kcals and more going into carnivore too quick and it works against their healing and all but you are sure doing it the right way! More power to you :slight_smile:

I am actively trying a ‘weight loss protocol’ and I am doing a bit better today on it all. I tell ya when you cut back too severe you know it instantly cause on zero carb we know what we do need to feel wonderful, we cut back and our body says oh heck no ya don’t :slight_smile: So I am working around it all and seeing what this new experiment will do for me.

Join in the chat, jump into our thread and let us know how you are doing and how things are changing for you! I love reading how great everyone feels on this way of lifestyle.

You haven’t felt this good in years…that is wonderful and I am happy you are doing so well! Rock on!!

food yesterday was

10 oz ribeye steak
can of tuna
1/4 lb hamburger patty

no cheese on that burger. eh, it was ok. not as pleasurable without my little bit of cheese and I have to say a 1/4 lb. burger is SO TINY it was like eating nothing at all. My burgers are sometimes 1/3 lb. which is still small, but mostly 1/2 lb. burgers…so this 1/4, wow it was like eating air almost HAHA

but after I was like, ok I might eat another, but I will wait. I waited and did fine. I got a tad hungry towards night but thought I ain’t gonna wither and die without more food today so I will eat good tomorrow and just go with the flow.

So lower on purpose eating yesterday was ok. Nothing crazy to report on it.

On thing I don’t like but this is gonna happen with experimenting on yourself…I had to think about my food and portions. I don’t like to think about food and since doing zero carb I don’t. I eat all I want when I want and that has served me wonderfully to suit my personality…now tho I am thinking about food actively and it irks me kinda. I don’t want to do it but I have to do it for my experiment LOL SEE I DID find something to moan about :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

but all good. Just chugging along. No hankering for anything just yet but I kinda feel on the back burner a gigantic pile of king crab legs will be calling my name…not yet, not yet LOL

hope everyone is rocking their carnivore!!! From what I am reading everyone is coming into their own and finding their stride. COOL!

(Edith) #1057

Once you get used to the smaller portions, you may not have to think about food as much.

No I don’t know on that one cause I never think about food cause I eat what I want, when I want, anytime I want…with smaller portions it right now is all about that on my brain.

but like you are saying…a big maybe here? in that if I eat smaller my body and brain might adjust to smaller………see I kinda don’t go by that. I eat exactly what my body asks for and if it wants big dense meat any time I give it just that…and I am still losing lbs. but ever so slowly…so with ‘restricting and manipulating’ I find what you are mentioning actually is gonna be reverse on me. So now I go by body asking, I don’t do brain thoughts on it…now I am doing brain manipulating on my eating plan and I am wondering if the more we do think about control, restriction etc. the more we screw up a natural life on this way of eating? Hmm…In that the more I deny my body as it wants, the more my body will slow down and become all more about food…as in feed me as I request…and this whole ‘restrict the amt of food I do want’ will actually turn against me in time.

remember that zero carb is eat. It is never manipulate or tweak. So even Dr Stock said…be careful of what demons you do open up once you ‘control’ this way of eating.

but it shall be interesting to see if what you say is what is gonna happen LOL

so on the fence how this will go down, but day by day I will see where it drags me…and hey I hope what you say is good cause it would be nice to eat less if the body doesn’t want it in good fashion, never a struggle to ‘eat less’ in my life. You opened up another thought for me on my experimenting, thanks :slight_smile:

(Tabania Crockett) #1059

New Dr. Ken Berry video with Dr. Paul Saladino

Yep. In 2012-13. Dying parent. It is stressful, giving care. Well done Renee.

I can understand the restriction part of the experiment would be hard. Especially based on your reports during the challenge. I think we covered some interesting moments when eating where we, the participants, would get weird food cravings even though not hungry. Eating more carnivore foods was the suggested antidote. But I think there is a nuance there and it starts heading us toward the various nutritional leverage theories; the ones where the proponents say a person keeps eating all types of foods to meet a basic physiological need. It may be energy, it may be one of many amino acids, it may be an essential fat, or a fat soluble vitamin, it may be a mineral, it may be sleep, it may be sunshine, it may be something linked to seasonal variation.

The fact that we can tame hunger, achieve satiety, and then be tuned in enough to recognise that we need ‘something more’ is a physiological goal kicked. The fun is exploring and discovering those next level nutritional or lifestyle needs for further optimisation. So much to learn. By doing n=1 experimenting the person learns. By sharing n=1 experiments the community learns.

(Liz ) #1062

Hugs, I’m a caregiver & it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done! My disabled elderly mom is happily Keto though & that helps.

Staying Keto carnivore helps me have the energy & calmness I need to be available 24/7 to my caree. I see so many stories of folks who become caregivers & their own health declines from stress eating carbs. I feel like Keto carnivore will make me the exception not the rule. I hope it helps you too!