Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

(Daisy) #61

West Virginia

(Daisy) #62

I’m still not feeling the greatest, but much better I think. All I ate yesterday was the bone broth and the beef/sausage, nothing after 2 pm.
I haven’t eaten yet today and will play it by ear. My belly is growling, but I’m frankly terrified to eat. So, we’ll just take it one minute at a time lol.

Oooh I hate that feeling. Think it may have been a stomach bug?

(Daisy) #64

I’m thinking it kind of had to be. It wasn’t super severe, like it normally would have been, that’s why I was questioning the reason, but maybe my body just was having a lower response. There are a lot of people sick in my world right now, so it’s definitely a possibility!

(Mark Nelson) #65

Good Morning to one and all!
My first post on this forum and I came here specifically for a carnivore challenge!

I’ll hunt down if there is an introduction thread and put all the dirty details in there but for this specific topic, I’m glad its here!

I recently decided to try carnivore after having lost 110lbs over the course of a few years on Atkins, low carb, keto and I’ve been hovering around 230to 238 for 18 months. My goal is to get to 200lbs now and after some research and a bout with an eczema flare up I decided to jump in and do carnivore.

My biggest issue was where was I going to get grass fed beef that I can afford. Well the opportunity to buy 1/2 a cow on payments and they’d store the majority for me fell into my lap a few weeks ago and I took delivery of my first 14 packages. Additionally they gave me 4 bags of cow bones and this last weekend I went bone broth crazy and made two batches.

Anyway I just started yesterday with zero plant based substances going in my body and I’m starting my morning off with a tablespoon of bone broth in hot water before my black coffee.

Since I’m at work, I’m feeling a bit guilty about typing all this now so I’ll end it here and come back.

I’m open to links to information on carnivore, how to satiate the “crunchy” cravings (pork rinds are getting expensive!! $4.99 for 2.5 oz around here in the South West Portland Oregon area!) and any other information that maybe relative.

Oh I’m going to also try to reduce my cow dairy down to see if that also helps with the eczema flare up but that is going to be difficult because… CHEESE!!!

Mark

Hi Daisy, Nice to read that you’re feeling better than you were. Hopefully you’ll be over that and feeling much better asap! :heart:

(Mark Nelson) #68

Portland Oregon! Beaverton more specifically.

Welcome to you Mark! I’m a newbie here too, but wanted to say howdy! Great to read about that 1/2 of cow. It’s nice to know where your meat is coming from. :slight_smile:

Sounds like you are starting out well with your carnivore eats. I’m not doing dairy at this time and I sure do miss it, especially CHEESE! I’ll be interested to see how you do and hope that your eczema leaves for good. I’m battling psoriasis so I know how it is, sigh.

I’m in Missouri in the St. Louis area!

Welcome to the madness. I look forward to hearing how it goes. There’s a lot of good links and info. If you haven’t already then you might want to take the time to visit https://justmeat.co/ and read Amber O’Hearn’s articles for a great start. Then continue reading and listening.
As for pork rinds I eat them like crazy on keto but on carnivore I just don’t want them. It’s kind of weird.

Cheryl…first snow. my goodness. it seems so fast the cold is coming at us in warp speed. I still want summer time :slight_smile:
It will all play out well for you!

I am North Carolina.

Bob is so close.

Daisy glad you are a tad better. yea we got things going around here also. just let it happen ya know…all I ever do if I get hit, just let it roll thru and hopefully gone sooner than later.

HI and Welcome Mark!! Jump in with the challenge and go for it.

So I hit the store and hit grass fed no antibiotic all that mumbo jumbo at sale price, then reduced price to boot. Only got 1 top sirloin. Right now honest to goodness I am so not hungry I didn’t care to stock the freezer. I figure if I truly don’t want anything I am not going crazy buying anything, lol

normally I get regular old meats and seafood. my wallet allows that but if I hit a good price on fancy gf stuff…will grab it.

I get grass fed when I can and it’s a good price but there are 4 of us so I buy a lot of standard ground beef and burgers. Lidl puts grass fed meat on sale fairly often so I’ll grab some there when they do.
I do splurge on suet and liver from a good source, though.

(Susan) #73

Wouldn’t it be better value for people that are Carnivores to buy grass fed beef directly from farmers or arbatoires in your area?

Until a few years ago, we used to buy a side of beef once a year from friends of ours that are beef farmers. It was great when I had to feed 7 people at every meal. Now that the kids are older and their food wasn’t as regulated the same by me, and they are Carb maniacs, it was too much meat for us, so we stopped buying it. I would just think if one were a Carnivore it would make a lot of sense, economically and to ensure you are getting awesome meat (grass fed, no steroids in it, etc). and supporting local farmers.

The bulk of my calories is from meat but I still like some vegetables most days so I am not ready for the carnivore plunge but I know it is awesome for many =).

(Daisy) #74

Agreed. That’s what we do. We buy a full cow each year from a local farmer. I am planning to get more nose to tail next year. I just got the liver, fat and some bones this time. My butcher wasn’t very cooperative, but this is his last year in business, so I’m hoping the next one will be better.

one of these stores opened by my mom’s area. haven’t been in it yet, first one around me. Thanks for that info. I will definitely hit one and check it out.

I farmed, we had about 100 angus in the fields at any given time. we had hogs for sausage and chops. We ate great til we closed and sold the farm. We got a few left in the game but many have closed shop also like us. We all got old together :slight_smile: but I find store buying is just easier now. I don’t know why but between gf and regular store I just buy whatever I am feeling at the moment. I don’t do a religion to gf beef at all. just me.

good morning

Challenge is going wonderful.

yesterday I ate:

2 small s/b chicken breasts pan friend in bit of gf butter
1.5 lbs. of snow crab legs, little butter for dipping

the crab was mushy. got older or stored wrong or something…ate most of it and finished up. Taste was fine, the texture kinda ugh, I hate when my crab is not perfect but it is a crapshoot on what happens on those clusters sometimes.

Had some wicked cravings last night. I so wanted sugar. And why do you think? I was watching the Holiday Baking Championships. Yup. Most times I don’t bother but they were making these Yule Logs and it just grabbed my attention and the more they baked and all, the more I started to crave. Never gave in cause I was thinking about my dark chocolate I sometimes nibble but nope. Not going there. So I did well.

Woke up no hungry at all but I feel super empty inside. Today I am doing all beef. Need it. Chicken is like eating nothing, you know. I hate subbing with butter most times. I like the red meats with fat in them and get it from there.

So red meat day…see how it goes.

I hope everyone else is feeling well. I feel great.

(Mark Nelson) #78

I just bought a half a cow from a local farm so I know its fully grass fed/finished.

The ability to buy the meat, make payments on it and she’ll store it for me for now until I can use it is what tipped me into trying to go full carnivore for a few months.

(Mark Nelson) #79

Well my first real day didn’t go so well with a surprise dinner outing to a Lebanese restaurant. I did stick with a 3 skewer meat kabob of lamb, chicken and rice, but I did also swiped that in the Tabouli, Hummus, baba ghanooj which I’m sure put me well over 20 g of carbs.

On the plus side, that was my only meal for the day as I’m also seeing if I can incorporate the One Meal A Day (OMAD) in as well during this journey. To make that transition easier I’ve brought some bone broth with me to work (made my first two batches this last weekend and learned a lot in that process too) and my plan is when I get hungry, take a tablespoon of that gelatinous goodness and melt it in a cup of hot water with some added salt to help with any suspected hunger cues.

Mark that is a plus doing OMAD but also it is not a plus at all.

The main focus on Carnivore is eating carnivore only. Absolutely required when changing into this plan. You must drop the extra. There is no 20g on Carnivore.

Now that being said…….you are doing what it takes to get into Carnivore and work this plan. Congrats. But on that flip side that no one ever wants to say…heck no on the junk you ate at that restaurant.

First thing is make you a focus.
Your food must happen. You must eat in the morning to help control any ‘surprise’ outings later. A full belly can easily eat that meat skewer, never touch that rice and easily never swipe into the other junk.

So that is very important.

Thing is give it a fair shake and put that 110% effort into truly starting this change if you want real results.

Now again, please don’t take this wrong at all :slight_smile: I am only saying if you want true results, know the benefits and feel the changes it must be strict on plan to do so.

The minute people want change and go into a huge challenge to make it happen we can easily excuse with a ton of reasons why we didn’t commit full force. There are no excuses if we really want a change and we know that what we pretend is a real excuse is just an illusion we say to make it ok. It isn’t…something I had to face!

I was one of them easily LOL I would say I am doing xyz and not give it any true effort. I never won doing it that way and oh boy I did it a lot LOL

thing is just some suggestions.

eat in the morning if you are not sure of your day or can’t bring food with you in a cooler for just in case.

eat eat eat eat eat carnivore. eat til so full you couldn’t possibly want more. you are allowed :slight_smile: don’t forget seafood if ya love it.
use that butter or bacon fat or tallow etc in your meal prep

key here to heal and change and get results is you have to stay on plan. by eating a ton of carnivore you get that control one needs to fight the other battles out there in crap food land :slight_smile:

so please take this with all tricks/tips to help and hold plan. It is meant just like that. cause I walked this path and learned what not to do from so many other successful people, I am just passing along what I learned from the success stories out there.

(Susan) #81

That is great, Mark =). I used to save ahead, because I did it once a year, it was about $1200 (for a half)-they are our friends so they were fine with me paying in 2 cheques, one for immediate and one for a month later so that was nice =).