Cheryl's 90 Day Carnivore Challenge: Started on Nov 01 going through to Feb 29, 2020

(Mark Nelson) #542

The last few days are a blur. I stuck my head in the sand food wise and I don’t really recall what I ate.

I’m making a concentrated effort to actually log each thing I put in my mouth so I can get a better understanding instead of guess work.

Feeling a bit like a failure around this right now even though I know logically I’m not.

Weight is up and I’m afraid to use the tape but I’ll do that tonight when I get home.

(Susan) #543

Just start out the new year back on track and carry on! I think most of us cheated (some more, others less) over the holidays but 2020 is almost here and we can all be victorious in this glorious new year!

This applies to the entire forum, all the Keto people and the Carnivore people!!

I love your enthusiasm. I am an optimist myself, on my 5th carnivore day and I finally feel just right. So yep, I believe in 2020 and success!
Bumps happen, it’s life but we must get up and keep going in the right direction!

I ate beef neck in the last days. And some eggs, of course. Today I relaxed my ways a bit and ate a small amount of eggnog ice cream (without sweetener). And some great egg-beef pancake, it was surprisingly not what I expected, it’s like some very eggy paleo bread with a very subtle meat flavor. It is useful when I have a rich, very flavorful, too salty, wet (I don’t know the right English word for that) beef stew I can’t eat alone.

So things just get better.

This inspired me to get the tape measure straight away after a magnificent 10 hour sleep.

No change to waist measurement since before and after waist measurement at summer solstice feast day.

The fruit trees are full with plums and apricots in season. I eat a few of them And maintain blood ketones. The sharp joint pains are less when not so strictly carnivore (but I also have not had any nightshade plants, e.g. chilli, in the past 2 days).

Also haven’t been tempted to eat a mango. There are a few lying around the kitchen. They’re imported from more northern latitudes in the state. When we lived in Queensland they grew on the street trees. I observe this as significant to not even have a craving for a food that was for many years the sweet taste of summer.

Food yesterday:

• coffee with single (35%fat) cream and a dash of MCT oil
  • breakfast after 12 noon
  • 3 egg omelette with Jarlsberg and cheddar cheeses, nori seaweed, half an avocado and smoked salmon
  • 6 small ‘one bite’ apricots, 3 apricotXplums
  • rib eye fillet steak with 2 fried eggs started cooking in dry cast iron pan with splash of olive oil
  • watched Funny Face film with Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire (my wife thinks Audrey is epitome of feminine beauty, I think she was starved as a child and inadvertently creates a feminine ideal that is a bit ballerina-starved too slim, but she has wonderfully rounded vowels)

Meanwhile off the coast from the local surfing beaches is some inspiring high fat carnivory with two 14ft white sharks feasting on a whale carcass. The natural process filmed by some fishermen was lathered in hyperbole and ocean swimming fear by the main stream media. It was just sharks eating and cleaning up the ocean. They are 10 miles out to sea from the coast, so not bothering anyone. I made a pencil sketch from a freeze frame image. I tend to draw after MCT oil in coffee.

I wish my body would send signals as quickly as yours. It takes me more than a week to see if something is bothering me and what removing such item does…

Speaking of sharks…are there many where you surf?

They are around all the time. The scariest ones, though, lurk in the imagination.

you keep that in mind truly, up front. it isn’t a failure of any way because when one is changing into new eating plans, back steps will happen. it is natural, normal and just what alot of us went thru while we grabbed hold of our new way of eating.

but grabbing that more commitment, eating more beef etc. needed to keep some cravings and more at bay are important for sure. What little off plan you did do will not impact you for life LOL you will get rid of the bloaty feeling and will continue to do fine if you hold plan :slight_smile: You got this!!

on vacation at the beach for a few short days

starving mostly. so far eating so sparse. chicken wings. 5 last night. yea to say the least I am starving this morning

family is picking horrible restaurants. gourmet pizza joint last night. wings was all I got. ugh

today I must search out good food or I will fall over soon HA
lunch at the area we are doing later I will have to find a steakhouse, pay way more than I want for a steak and dig in or I am sure to perish soon LOL

Hit the hotel free breakfast bar. Carb fest. Only thing was they offered hard boiled eggs. Not for me, not a HB egg person so hubby had a waffle and I just sat there. Heck I couldn’t even find a bottle of water.

So now it is 9am and I am waiting for whatever steak I can put in front of my face around 12? or so when we get to our destination and I will have to have food soon. No joke on that.

so far so good. carnivore all the way baby, no good food, no eat. but I will wander til I find that steak with my name on it and next place to eat is MY choice…family ain’t sabotaging me again, I need food HAHA

one thing might come good thru low food on this fast trip, scale should drop down HAHA I should be so lucky from starving here :slight_smile:

(Mark Nelson) #550

For accountability I didn’t measure yet. Fear is of back sliding is prevalent but I’ve set a reminder to do it Friday morning.

Thank you. The support I see and get from you all here, even though I logically know it, helps a lot and I’m glad I didn’t give in to not sharing my own emotions around things.

Details

• 3 hard boiled egg
  • 2oz goat cheese
  • 2 cups 20oz coffee
  • 12oz chicken
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 8oz blue crab claw meat
  • 90oz water

There were some minor other things but I didn’t write them down.
On another note, when I got home from an evening activity I told one one my housemates that I didn’t think I was hungry but wanted to eat anyway so I had the crab smothered in butter.
I should have listened to my body as about an hour after eating it I was not feeling good. That overfull feeling was intense.

Paying attention to my food intake has also got me paying attention to my schedule and how busy I actually am. Sunday for example I was up at 6 and in bed at 11pm with very little downtime in there. What I feel like is happening is that while I’m mostly staying with in the realm of carnivore eating, I’m eating without conscious thought. What I think I’m eating is not reality.

So more tracking and I’m resisting the urge to change a number of things at once. I’m interested in IF and doing glucose and ketone tracking, but with my propensity for getting down on myself for not being “successful” I think I’m going to keep these things at bay for another 2 weeks and focus on being strict to this carnivore way of eating.

I like this idea. Good move because just beginning into carnivore means big changes to our habits and more and if we put too much onto ourselves to be ‘successful’ we kinda sabotage ourselves unknowingly cause we just over pressured the whole thing. Just eat meat :slight_smile: be happy doing that. You will be in good shape for sure!!

last night was hard.

ate around 10 pm at a bar that was rocking out to New Years :slight_smile: Where we are at on vacay the restaurants all shut down at 9? ugh.
no meat on the menu mostly. but I got braised short rib. omg the sugar in it. just the red wine reduction sauce they did it in was so sweet. I ate a bit of it and just gave it to hubby.

needless to say I am starved again this morning. might eat sausage/egg/cheese biscuit (no biscuit of course :)) on the road to hold me til I get home and sizzle up a big old ribeye.

I truly can’t wait to eat good again. I didn’t eat well on this trip. I feel truly starved. Like my body is absolutely requiring my good meats!!

When we do hotels I am at restaurant mercy and it sucks. When we take our RV toyhauler camper on trips I have a grill, fridge/freezer and kitchen and I bring all my meats with me and I eat SO well. This hotel trip has left me in need of good meat LOL so I am happy to be heading home.

hope everyone is doing fine. I look forward to home and my freezer! HA

Been staying carnivore/PKD but I’ve had some kind of stomach bug so I’ve just been trying to rest up. Hope you guys have been enjoying the holidays. :heart:

Sorry you are down Renee. There is always something going around from my kids school LOL and I was just say a mini prayer when she comes home and says, so and so went home sick puking or whatever, and I freeze…omgosh don’t let it come here HAHA

Hope you feel better fast!! So glad you are holding you PKD well!

That’s no good Renee. I agree with @Fangs I hope you recover quickly.

Exciting start to the New Year.

New Year’s Eve dinner was small. Approximately 100g smoked salmon wrapped around chunks of Stilton (blue) cheese. No alcohol.

Was up for 7am yoga at the beach (fasted). It’s been awhile, so I took it easy.

Went for coffee with cream and to wait while my wife went to visit a girlfriend who I find a bit energy sapping.

While at the cafe, half way through the cup of coffee, I had a ‘heart attack’. I felt the palpitations start and the irregular rhythm. There was some magnesium tablets in my bag so I started taking those. I also had a beta blocker in my bag. I carry the tablets with me. I took the medication. My heart rate was between 120 to 140bpm.

My wife finished her catch up and dropped by to pick me up from the cafe. I told her what was happening and that I preferred not to visit the hospital. So we went home and I set to work to sort out the atrial fibrillation. After a total of 3 hours at that high heart rate, taking some aspirin and ever increasing doses of magnesium tablets (planning to dose until GI upset - which was never reached) my heart rate flipped back to 60bpm. The action I took directly before the return to normal was to have a large mug of beef broth with extra pink salt and lite salt (sodium and potassium).

It was a nice day so we went for a swim and some time in the sunshine at the beach.

So I had breakfast at 5pm on New Years Day:
3 egg scramble in butter
3 rashes of streaky bacon
I sheet nori seaweed torn into pieces on to eggs
30g crumbly Mersey cheese
50g mature cheddar

New Years Day turned out to be accidental OMAD.

This morning I have oxalate dumping symptoms (other than AF) with aching in finger joints, gritty eyes, and it’s hard to get out of bed with a general tiredness. There are some pins and needles in the usual places.

Carnivore challenge is a real challenge for this n=1 with the induction of these symptoms being repeatable. But I think that it has given me valuable, experiential, dietary health information.

I hypothesise that eating low oxalate carnivore is inducing a situation, for me, where I override the alkaline buffering capacity of my body and allow free oxalic acid into circulation which binds available electrolytes tripping the switch to heart arrhythmia. @VirginiaEdie Edith has hypothesised the same for her?

The other thing I cannot ignore is the possibility of eating some summer stone fruit (e.g. apricots), May have been a trigger for an oxalate dump and resultant heart attack. There is an experiment that shows eating 50g of chocolate of an (x)mg dose in the context of a low oxalate diet, can induce an oxalate dumping of 8 times that initiating dose, resulting in symptoms of illness.

It’s interesting to record the experience and the responses, in case other people find the same. Trying carnivore is quite illuminating.

So in parallel to strongly supplemented carnivore eating, I’ll hit the books to look at parallels with the low oxalate WOE.

This journal article with 100+ references is an interesting rabbit hole to explore.

https://jevohealth.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1085&context=journal

Can’t go blaming carnivore for what the oxalates are doing?

Ladies of carnivore, I have a question regarding our monthly cycles…I hope the men don’t mind. :slight_smile: I don’t know how old you are, but I’m sure all of your experiences are worth knowing.

About six months into my keto WoL, I lost my period and it took about a year to get it back. I gained a few pounds and I guess that was enough to convince my body I wasn’t trying to kill it. My husband and I decided not to have kids, but I still think that our cycles are natural and needed. My cycles have been great - low flow, no cramping, no bloating, etc.

How have your cycles been on carnivore and/or during the adaption process?

This just sends me into jealousy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Yoga on the beach at 7. You are living right where I want to live but right now I am a 5 hr drive from my nearest beach. In fact we hit the beach for a few days over New Years and are home now. But you are so lucky FB!

Hey, you ate very low dinner the evening before.
No food while doing yoga in the morning.
Then coffee. Caffeine. Makes the heart race for some.

Could your heart rate increase be from this combo? Instead of coffee if you went right to the broth and food would any of this happened do you think? Is fasting of any big length of time good with an AF situation in your life? I don’t know AF truly. So I am just thinking past this in a way that sometimes if someone gets those palpations it could be a more normal situation? Just guessing here FB. Just wondering on it.

wow never knew this. huh

You are a wealth of info on subjects out there FB! I like learning for you :slight_smile:

Sorry I can’t answer that one because when I hit into carnivore I was battling menapause time for me :slight_smile: I have to say I had some hot flashes, night sweats and mood changes. But with carnivore I literally dropped 99% of all of it. I got thru mena very easily. Luckily now it is ALL over for me. I am back to good and happy it all went so well for myself.

I was lucky also with the easy period time my whole life. low flow, no bloating, just a 1 day, tiny bit of cramping and it was short amt. of time. I had the 4 day fast period and over. I was one of the lucky ones on that again.

Be interesting to see what the other gals say.

food yesterday was (driving home from few days at the beach on vacay over New Years)

2 sausage/egg/cheese biscuits from fast food joint while on the road.
ugh, not that great but ok. ditched the bread obviously

got home hungry. Ate a 1 lb. ribeye steak and 8 jumbo shrimp drizzled with homemade alfredo sauce with yummy parm cheese.

1/2 lb. bacon with melted cheddar
tin of sardines

Then I had to fight cravings. I was full but I swear letting in that sugar from that beef short ribs I ate the night before (sauced with red wine reduction that was SO SWEET, I only ate a bit but it honestly made me taste real sugar again and I was wanting it)

I kept seeing all the holiday crap around. Kid candy/chocolate from Santa still sitting out. Chips of all kinds around. Ugh. I just wanted to eat it all. I gotta say I had to fight with myself to not eat this crap. I was coming up with a ton of excuses to eat it. Hey I made it thru Xmas and now I could eat some junk today and I know I would be fine, just eat it, who cares? LOL Hey I deserve some junk, I been so good on my carnivore plan. Literally strict to plan! And more excuses like crazy I wanted to give into just to eat some junk. I didn’t eat anything tho. I held firm.

Well I made it thru the night cause I fried up 1/2 lb. of bacon and slathered it with melty cheddar to eat that to draw me off wanting to eat crap.

Then I still wanted crap so I ate a tin of sardines. I don’t know what it is but when I eat a tin of sardines my ‘wanna have sugar’ cravings seem to vanish instantly. For me a tin of sardines has a ‘flavor’ that kinda knocks out that want to taste sugar on my tongue after. Kinda like a blocker of sugar cravings for me. I can’t explain it but very strange the way some sardines kinda come to my rescue. I don’t know but it works for me in some crazy fashion to calm me down, get the mind games out of my mind and sets me right again. Like after eating sardines I want no other flavors in my mouth. That fish taste just does something?? heck I don’t know LOL

So just chatting out some weird I had to fight thru this short vacay I took.

I am so super thrilled to be home and in total control of my food now. I swear I need to learn how to eat out in the world better than I find I am doing. Restaurants and me clash. ugh. I don’t know why that is truly, a few things on that for me but I best make some peace with myself on eating out to make it flow easier for me.

Today I got my food planned, will eat wonderful and glad the New Year has come and all holiday is over for me right now and I can set simply into strict carnivore and just roll along. Hopefully my scale will roll down for me. Concentrating on getting some darn good results and just chill thru it all.

Hope everyone is doing great!!

(Edith) #560

Both times I started carnivore I skipped a month in my cycle, but then it went back to normal. I think when I first switch to carnivore I don’t eat enough and my body gets a little stressed.

But… I’m 53 and in perimenopause, so maybe the skipped month was coincidental?

(Ashley) #561

Keto actually fixed my cycle as I was irregular. I haven’t had any changes with carnivore. I used to only have my cycle every other month or every 6 weeks or so. But now I’m regular. I’m also 30
Though so I’m not near menopause quite yet. But I’ve also been more dirty carnivore so I will let you know as I clean it up if I get any changes.