Cheesy zucinni bread

(jim Chiodo) #1

I came across a recipe for “bread” made with zucchini, parmesan and mozzarella. It came out pretty good. Has anyone else made this and what do you do with leftovers? Do you warm up in the microwave?

(Khara) #2

I recently made the 5 Ingredient Bagels linked below. First time I’d made any “bread” using mozzarella. I’ve seen several recipes since and am realizing that mozzarella has become a Keto baking staple. These recipe authors are way more creative than me. Can you give a quick version of the zucchini recipe or a link? As for re-warming… toaster, oven, or stove-top pan is usually how I do mine.

(jim Chiodo) #3

i made a mistake but it didn’t seem to make much difference. I missed the “divided” on the 3 cups of mozz and dumped it all in. Only put 1 cup in first, then after initial bake, put the remaining mozz and seasoning on top to bake for another 8-10 mins.

I also grated one of my fingers a tiny bit doing the zuch. (more protein), then my wife tells me we have a power grater. I also found a low carb marinara recipe. Worked well for dipping. Let me look for that and I’ll post tomorrow. It uses whole pealed tomatoes and made much more than I needed, I’m thinking of frying some Italian sausage and then simmering in the sauce. Too bad, there’s no keto recipe for a genuine, crusty Philadelphia style hoagie roll. (I grew up in Philly)

INGREDIENTS

3 medium zucchini, or about 4 cups grated zucchini
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. cornstarch
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley
Marinara, for dipping
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment. On a box grater or in a food processor, grate zucchini. Using cheesecloth or a dish towel, wring excess moisture out of zucchini.
Transfer zucchini to a large bowl with eggs, garlic, oregano, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
Transfer “dough” to prepared baking sheet and pat into a crust. Bake until golden and dried out, 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups mozzarella, crushed red pepper flakes, and parsley and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Slice and serve with marinara.

(Khara) #4

Wow, this is more substantial than I’d imagined. Ya, if you added a bunch of sausage it pretty much could make a meal. Thanks!

(jim Chiodo) #5

here’s a a link to the sauce recipe It was good but a little thin. The recipe says to puree the peeled tomatoes which i did but didn’t drain off the water in the can which probably would have made it thicker. there’s a good amount left, I think I’ll put it in a sauce pot and let it simmer and thicken, maybe put some ground beef in to give it a meaty flavor.