Cheese curds, deep fried

(m) #41

I’ve had pan fried halloumi for lunch the last two days!
I squeezed it today in paper towels after the spatter fest that occurred yesterday! Good idea about letting it sit in paper towels well ahead of time.

It is amaaazing. I had been egg washing and breading cheese sticks in almond flour+parm then freezing them prior to frying up til now. Never again!

Here’s my pic from yesterday. So crispy!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

Pure lard or tallow will not go rancid left in your deep fryer at room temperature.

(Tim W) #43

Nice!

You just wait though. I break fast tomorrow and I’m gonna show you all the glory that is queso-de-frier on the grill!

And maybe this weekend, I’m taking on the local champ (Brenda Zorn) with an “upgraded” keto chocolate candy recipe (with pics) that I’ve had in mind to make for some time. Don’t tell Brenda though, I’m going to spring it on her while she’s distracted at Keto fest (so jealous, wish my sked had allowed for it, maybe next year…).

(m) #44

I’ll be waiting!

(Jim Russell) #45

I couldn’t find any queso de freir despite my local walmart saying they had it. I fried up some mexican queso fresco cheese and it turned out great. Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. I will be adding this to my regular routine.

When searching for queso de freir I found a page that said that you can substitute any firm white cheese and recommended swiss.

I gotcha buddy! We buy one at least but sometimes 2 of the bigger packs every week. Some would say it’s a “problem”.

(Sharon Worster) #47

I get mine on Amazon.

(Tim W) #48

NIce! That’s fried in a pan?

No crappy little fry daddy, sometimes when it’s just me I’ll pan fry them, in a pan they get more of a darker burnt look but still taste awesome, frying really gives it the feel and texture of being breaded.

(Tim W) #50

I got ya.

Grill marked fried cheese tomorrow!

(Tim) #51

10 lbs of beef tallow for 15 bucks.

Now I just gotta test, does the cow or pig fat make better curds?

(chris) #52

I grew up in San Diego and never heard of cheese curds. I moved back to Iowa 8 years ago and everyone has them. I snack on different flavors of curds all the time now.

(Cheryl Hall) #53

@JorgePasada – I’m a huge fan of everything pig :pig:

(Tim W) #54

I don’t know the answer to your question but it did make me think of this:

(Tim W) #55

I ate some left over sausage for lunch today and it did NOT sit well/stay down so no dinner tonight so no fried cheese on grill. I’ll have to post that on Sat.

(Rebecca) #56

Thanks @Brenda. I will have to get to the butcher soon to get me some fat.

(Cheryl Hall) #57
[quote="becsta, post:39, topic:14909"]

the haloumi I use is from a small localist producer and it is the best haloumi I have ever had.
[/quote]

Not sure what haloumi is? I found some local bread cheese at our organic grocer this week. This whole thread had me craving some fried cheese. I had never had this particular cheese before but I fried some up in lard and it turned out nicely! It’s firm and doesn’t really melt but gets all warm in the center and is very tasty. Photos below. I’m going to also try with some of the other cheeses mentioned here.

(Rebecca) #58

@Cheryl311 that looks delicious.

(Cheryl Hall) #59

@becsta – I had to refrain from eating the whole block! :sunglasses:

(Tim W) #60

That looks outstanding!

Here’s mexican frying cheese on the grill: