Cheese curds, deep fried

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

Fresh rendered pork lard, fresh made cheese curds from the farmers market. No breading. Simply deep fry.

(Nick) #2

Wow, those look delicious!

It’s still a little weird for me to get my head around deep fried cheese being a healthy food :scream:

(Tim) #3

I’ve been looking at deep fat fryers for just this reason. What model fryer do you have?

Where do you source the pork lard? I’m having trouble with that. Also been looking at Beef Tallow.

(James storie) #4

Do you have food lion in Washington? I get Smithfield brand lard from them. It is the only brand I can find that doesn’t include partially hydrogenated lard as an ingredient. Just lard! Walmart doesn’t carry it.

(Sophie) #5

Love cheese curds! I got hooked on them when I lived in Chicago and would screech into any Culvers I happened to see just for those and a friggin Butter Burger! I wish we had Culvers! Even though they bread their curds, the butter burgers are really good. Thanks for posting this. I’ll have to look around for a DIY.

(Tim) #6

Unfortunately we do not. The local Co-Op has Leaf Lard but it’s very VERY expensive and if I get the 3.5L fryer I’m looking at I shudder to think how much it will cost to operate.

I’m looking into cultivating a relationship with a local butcher. Maybe something will come of that.

(Tim) #7

Realized I forgot to tag @Brenda in the last post so not sure if she saw my reply.

Also, found this.

@jamestorie What’s the units/price on the lard you’ve been purchasing?

(James storie) #8

The tub I buy is 3lbs. If I’m not mistaken, it only cost me around $3.50. Super cheap!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

I bought it at Aldi. It’s a Ambiano.

I but pork fat at the grocer and render it myself.

(Davi) #10

My :heart: melted looking at these pics. They look amazing!

(Tim) #11

Wow that’s cheap. All the stuff I’ve been looking at for Pork or Beef fat is like 3 to 5 dollars a pound.

(Tim) #12

Those pictures look amazing!

Does putting them in a block quote like that automatically hide them by default?

(James storie) #13

I found this online https://www.walmart.com/ip/Smithfield-Recipe-Ready-Refined-Lard-48-oz.-Tub/108182604 I’ve never seen it in the store, but aparrently you can order it online.

(Jim Russell) #14

There is a seller on ebay that I think I’m going to try. They have organic pork lard and grass fed beef tallow for 7lbs for $39.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALLOW-ORGANIC-GRASS-FED-RENDERED-BEEF-FAT-by-H-B-Oils-Center-100-PURE-7-LB/282439527563?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dfe0b3b0bafc449e5bb96eb73aac914b6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282439533232

(Jeremy Storie) #15

Is that the green and white tub in the Hispanic section?

(Jeremy Storie) #16

Never mind. Just saw this.

(James storie) #17

No, it has partially hydrogenated lard as an ingredient. I have only been able to find Smithfield at food lion. It’s only ingredient is lard! I just got lucky and found it online through Walmart. But I’ve never seen it in the store.

(Jeremy Storie) #18

What does partially hydrogenated mean exactly?

(James storie) #19

When it comes to lard, I don’t exactly know! Lard is already as stable as it gets. Hydrogenation is a process used to stabilize vegetable oil. They add extra hydrogen to fill the carbon ends. All I know is, I don’t want to eat lard that has been tampered with chemically!

(Jeremy Storie) #20

Thank you sir :+1: