Cheese curds, deep fried

(James storie) #21

Your welcome, gave me a chance to geek out!

(Siobhan) #22

Yes, if you link to another post and it has images in it, the images will show up as [image] unless you go to the post or click on them.

(Thao Le) #23

I have been buying lard from this seller Fannie and Flo
5 Pounds Regular Old Fashioned Rendered Lard - Farm Fresh, Exceptional Performance and Flavor, Organic Sourced and Vacuum Packed
$26.50

(Arlene) #24

That picture of Ebay beef tallow is in a container that pours. Tallow is VERY solid at room temperature. It would never pour unless still warm from the pan. If their tallow pours, itā€™s had something done to it to make it pour. I wouldnā€™t touch it, but thatā€™s just me.

(Jim Russell) #25

I bought a container, so once it shows up Iā€™ll have a better idea of what it is like. It says there are no additives, just rendered beef fat. It will be an interesting exercise to get it out of that container. :slight_smile:

(Jim Russell) #26

What temperature did you have the deep fryer set to? I picked up some cheese curds last night and will be making this later today.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

As hot as the dial would go. Iā€™m not at home and cannot check. 365*?

TWO THINGS:

1. Freeze the curds solid
  2. Iā€™ve found only very fresh curds work, such as the ones I buy at the farmers market. The seller made them the day before. They are SUPER squeeky on your teeth.

ALSO, They literally cook in seconds, not minutes. Keep checking them.

(Jim Russell) #28

One of the downsides of moving away from Minnesota, fresh cheese curds are not easy to find. Any cheese curds are not easy to find. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll freeze my grocery store bought cheese curds and see how it works.

(Jim Russell) #29

Iā€™m going to have to call this one a big fail. Not sure if it was the non-fresh cheese curds or the fact that my deep fryer temperature seems to be off (I checked after I turned off the heat. It said 360, my thermometer said 325.)

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

Awwwwwe! This has happened to me with store bought. IDK why only the fresh ones have worked.

Serious bummer.

(Jim Russell) #31

I will have to keep my eye out for fresh curds. There is a local dairy that makes them occasionally. Plus a really good cheese shop that may have them or know where I can get the fresh stuff.

(Julie Pegler) #32

omg that looks amazing! I

(Cheryl Hall) #33

I want those!!!

(Tim) #34

Hey @Brenda

Got 10 lbs of beef tallow Iā€™m picking up from the butcher tomorrow. Gonna give it a try when I break the fast with the cheese curds.

(Tim W) #35

I know itā€™s not the same but you guys have GOT to try queso de freir.

We canā€™t get fresh cheese curds around here (at least we have not found them yet) but this stuff fries up NICE! (It may have been mentioned here before, if it has, I apologize). A friend from South America turned us onto it and we buy it at the local big box store, we get a BIG block of it, cut it into slices and put it in a large zip-lock wrapped in paper towels (it exudes a lot of water when stored).

Iā€™d fry up a slice but itā€™s two more days before I eat anything, frying up a few slices in butter or bacon grease, in a cast iron pan = nirvana. Iā€™ll try to remember to upload a couple of picks when I break fast.

(Rebecca) #36

Those look delicious. Does anyone in Australia know if that is a thing over here? I have never heard of being able to buy cheese curd.

@brenda in reference to the lard do you just leave it in your fryer? Does it need to be refrigerated between using it? I got myself a deep fryer but havenā€™t been to the butcher yet to get some pork fat to make lard, hopefully I will get to the butcher soon but was wondering about storing it once made.

Once I have made my lard I am going to try deep frying haloumi.

(Jim Russell) #37

Got my tallow and Iā€™m very happy with it. It is pure tallow, no additives, as far as I can tell. Itā€™s solid at room temperature. It was 95 degrees outside (the melting point of tallow) when I picked it up from the mailbox and mostly pourable. But now itā€™s a solid block in my deep fryer.

Made a batch of buffalo chicken wings and it was great.

(Tim W) #38

I forgot to add that this is even better on the grill, it ā€œplumps upā€ and gets those nice grill marks. [quote=ā€œbecsta, post:36, topic:14909ā€]

Once I have made my lard I am going to try deep frying haloumi.
[/quote]
We were looking for haloumi when we found the Mexican cheese. Haloumi was something like 10 bucks for a small amount (Eastern Shore here) so we decided to skip it, glad we found the substitute, it ā€œperformsā€ very much like the haloumi from what I understand.

(Rebecca) #39

@infromsea the haloumi I use is from a small localist producer and it is the best haloumi I have ever had. I donā€™t eat it that often so havenā€™t really looked at the price. I get it at our local farmers market. Not sure what the Mexican cheese is, itā€™s probably not available here in Australia.

(Tim W) #40

I am jealous! I agree, the Mexican cheese might be hard to source, no reason to mess with whatā€™s working!

Cheers!