Check before I buy please

Would anyone mind casting an eye over this please?

My first time buying MCT oil. This one is half the price of others, usually that is a red flag and means its not worth it, so thought I would ask you clever people before I push the button.

(Allie) #2

Seems legit, word of advice though… start with a teaspoon, maybe even half a teaspoon, and work your way up, don’t go straight in with a tablespoon, and certainly don’t assume more is better.

Though I don’t bother with these things at all anymore, not needed, but if you want to try it, try it.

Seems it’s mostly C8, you should be good. They’re not all overpriced.

(B Creighton) #4

Sales are slowing, and some retailers are probably dumping some items in order to be able to buy new stock. That is one potential prob - maybe the stuff is nearing its expiration date - although MCT oil is very stable.

Thank you all.
Ordered.

And yes, the bottle actually says 1 teaspoon for a week, then 2, then a table spoon.

(Edith) #6

Yup, I learned my lesson from doing that!! :rofl:

What is the reasoning behind this? There have been a few studies where they get people to simply replace all their oil intake with MCT so then are consuming several table spoons a day without any negative effects.

(Allie) #8

Because a lot of people just can’t tolerate it so have to start very gently and build up. Some have ended up in hospital due to the effects before realising what it was, plenty of posts on here about it.

yes i have heard that, however, our forum doesnt seem to have any info on it. Apart from the anecdotal phrase start with 5ml and work your way up to 15ml.
Even if some (a lot would be a real stretch), have had negative effects, I have yet to see any info about it.

MCT oil has been used for years by doctors to treat malnutrition and some GI problems. they start their patients on 60-100ml a day without any ramp up.
The only side effects I can find that are records rather than anecdotal are minor and from long term use.

is this just one of those things we believe but do not prove? the mct companies probably put it on the bottle to make it seem like it is something stronger, more powerful and more medicinal than it really is.
its just refined coconut oil.
if you added 60ml of coconut oil to a dish, you’d be getting a tablespoon of mct anyway.

(Allie) #10

Have you read this thread?

if you added 60ml of coconut oil to a dish, you’d be getting a tablespoon of mct anyway.

Well that’s I don’t bother paying for MCT specifically, because I use coconut oil daily, but some people have serious issues tolerating that too.

Thank you for the link.
Yes I did read that thread. And noted a few things.
1, it is 1 persons anecdote.
2, they claimed to have a resting heart rate of 39bpm which is way too slow. They have bradycardia and are susceptible to heart problems.
3, the op was talking about a longer term side effect, not starting to take mct for the first time.
4, their heart rate raised to a perfectly normal resting heart rate of 79bpm.
5, there was no evidence to support that mct was the only contributing factor for this episode
6, all sysmptoms listed were very common for many conditions including anxiety.

So that one post really does nothing to support any argument as to why someone should supplement 5ml and build to 15ml what using mct.

(Allie) #12

The thread was more than just one person, others also contributed.

Not sure what exactly you’re trying to achieve here? If you want to ignore the experiences of masses of people as well as the instructions of the companies that actually sell MCT oils, go right ahead and down 30ml in one go or whatever. No drama to me :woman_shrugging:t3:

There won’t always be studies to back things up, let’s face it, these things need funding, but with as much anecdotal evidence as there is in this case, it’s worth being aware.

All I am trying to achieve is an understanding of the science. I do not mean to be argumenttative and I apologize if I am coming off that way.

I, and I am sure, many of us are here because we believed information about diets and carbs that are common beliefs that are peddled by food companies and backed up by poor epidemiological data.
My views are cynical and sceptical around any claim and I just want to understand food science and separate hearsay from fact.

I appreciate your time in talking to ne about this.
I have gone through the thread and yes, lots of people have had some problems when they start taking mct oil. Unfortunately, probably due to my lack of understanding, I do not see how taking 15ml of mct can give such violent reactions.
Plus, I have been witnessed the exact same symptoms that people complain of when taking other drugs. I believe that some people may be sensitive, but I do believe that many of these instances are anxiety based.
I have seen people pass out after injecting themselves for the first time, once with insulin and once with an iv.
If people think there is a risk of feeling sick, dizzy, and have heart palpatations, they will get them.

I have seen evidence that mct can cause stomach upset I. long term use, but not in the first week.

Also, there have been studies. There has been a study on blood lipid levels for mct compared to olive oil. The starting dose was 100ml a day with no ramp up. And no side effects were noted in the first week.

I also strongly recommend you start out slowly and work your way up to higher quantities, if you want more. Stay home and near your toilet when you start using it, especially if you try a tablespoon or more on the first go. The diarrhea can be quite severe and you may not make it to the toilet. Better safe than sorry. The diarrhea can be quite violent. If used in small quantities over time and you work your way up to more you might be able to avoid this “issue”. :smile:

Is that your own experience?

I felt like I wanted to use myself as a test rat for my theory so I have been having 15ml twice a day since it arrived 3 days ago.
Other than making my coffee cup easier to clean and mixing better than coconut oil, o have not noticed any difference.
I do believe in the possitive effects on the brain and I also believe that it is healthy to eat as wider range of food as possible, so I will continue with the mct and update here if I have any ill effects.

Yes, and I know people who have had very unfortunate responses to adding too much MCT too quickly.

I’m glad that your experience hasn’t been the same as that of some of us. And, yes, I do think MCT oil has benefits. I’ve stopped using it a long time ago as I have been eating very, very low carb for years and just let my body make it’s own ketones for brain health. But it all depends on where you are in your journey and what your goals and needs are. :grinning:

We are a group who like to experiment on our selves, I think.

(Edith) #18

That was my experience, but I did make it to the toilet. :rofl: But, I will admit, I was dumb and started off with a dose larger than a teaspoon. I thought, “It can’t be that much different than coconut oil.” Well, yes it can.

When did you notice these effects?

(Edith) #20

Well, it’s been quite some time since I made that mistake so I don’t remember exactly. I took the MCT oil because I’d heard people mention it helped with energy during exercise. I thought I would try it before a run, so it must have been within a hour at most.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

The Dudes started this site with two dogmas: (1) Show me the science, and (2) Find out what works for you.

I see no conflict with science in warning people that they might be sensitive to MCT oil, so tread lightly at first. The phrase “disaster pants” is common enough on these forums, after all. I’m sure you are right, and a lot of people can just start out with a full dose, no problems. But how do you tell, in advance, whether you are in that group or in the “disaster pants” group? So it seems wise to share the fruits of our experience and advise people to tread lightly at first. Or at least stay close to the john, if they are going to start out with a high dose, lol!