Cheat days?

(mole person) #83

I can see the change. The leaner you get the smaller the amount of fat that you need to lose to see a noticeable difference. But yes, calipers will work too.

If you were losing fat at 125 grams I don’t think that you will have much difficulty losing at 40 grams. Also, if you are training a lot, 40 should be fine for ketosis as well. Honestly, if you’ve lost a bunch of weight lately you’ve been in ketosis a fair bit anyhow. You can’t be burning body fat without producing ketones.

Had your last diet stalled out? Why are you switching?

(Running from stupidity) #85

For most people, that’s an unhealthy and unsustainable level.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #87

No matter how much weight I lose, I am destined to be around 28 percent for the rest of my life. I am 61. At 18 I was 18 percent. I did the under water weighing thing I weighed 102 then

(Empress of the Unexpected) #88

Carbs don’t affect me. I feel good the next day. Sometimes I need carbs to get my calories up. Not to be a heretic, but meat and veggies only adds up to 1,100 calories a day. Sometimes I need more.

This. Unless you’re an athlete, I can’t think of a good reason why your body fat should be that low.

(Scott) #91

When I got down to 15% BF people started asking if I was well. I think 8% BF is too low but that is opinion based and not science based.

(Ken) #92

Lyle MacDonald wrote his book “The Ketogenic Diet” nearly 20 years ago for bodybuilders who specifically wanted to cut bodyfat to sub 10% levels for contests.

The protocols can be found on the Keto subforum on bodybuilding.com. It is a CKD and calls for eating carbs periodically to recompensate glycogen. It works, but is considered heretical by many on this board.

(mole person) #93

It all depends how much muscle you have. My husband is at 14% body fat and is quite slim. Much more fat loss would no look great but he also doesn’t have a lot of muscle atm because of some recent injuries. However a guy with the same frame but 20 lbs more muscle and the SAME fat percentage would have much more total fat on his body.

14% of 145 lbs = 20 lbs of fat
14% of 165 lbs = 23 lbs of fat

The heavier more muscular guy with the same fat percentage has 15% more total fat on the same frame. The second guy is fatter with the same fat percentage.

Put another way, the same 20 lbs of fat on three same framed men at different body weights:

20 lbs of fat at 145 lbs is 13.7% body fat
20 lbs of fat at 165 lbs is 12.1% body fat
20 lbs of fat at 185 lbs is 10.8% body fat

They all have exactly the same total amount of on the same body frame. There is no health difference with respect to amount of fat.

Our poster seems to be into body building. He’s after a man’s lean, ultra muscular build and that comes in at 8-10% body fat. He’s not looking to be skinny.

healthy-body-fat-percentage-chart