Cheat days?

(Kassandra) #1

Hello! So im kind of new to this and im also doing Intermittent fasting, I was wondering, lets say i follow keto diet and follow my IT strictly, is it okay if after lets say 2 weeks i can have a cheat day? Like eat pizza or hamburger?

Depends on your goals I guess but proper fat adaption can take several months so I personally wouldn’t eat significant carbs for at least 3 months. Probably closer to 6 to be sure.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #3

Not so fast. First stay on it at least a month or two to get fat adapted.
Then maybe a carb snack once a month but not full cheat day. Keep the cheats for holidays :slight_smile:

(Allie) #4

If your first goal on keto is figuring out how to cheat it then maybe this isn’t the lifestyle for you.

(Scott) #5

I skip my cheat days…all of them!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

I skip cheat days. I have a tablespoon or two of refried beans. That is it. Still <20g / day.

(Sheri Knauer) #7

This!

(Kassandra) #8

of course there’s always someone with a negative attitude.
I was curious and If i decided to start the diet its because i want.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #9

Allie, l couldn’t agree more with you!

(Running from stupidity) #10

Yeah, that would be all of us.

(Kassandra) #11

Perfect! Thank you!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #12

There are many folks who are using this way of eating to save their feet from diabetic peripheral neuropathy or reverse disease so when a new “dieter” comes in and asks about “cheat” days you’re going to get some irritated users. Of course, everyone eats off plan sometimes, that’s life, but you may not find tips and tricks for maintaining weight loss and also eating carbs on the ketogenic forum.

I’m not being mean or angry, just explaining.

(Kassandra) #13

Got it!! :slight_smile:

(Marius the butter craving dude) #14

Of course people here do cheats (some do). I did cheats this Christmas. But there are two aspects here:
Cheats are never encouraged !! After cheats you feel horrible. I would gladly do away with my cheats but there are social situations and I would say I appreciate keto more after the horrible mood (tired, pains and mood swings) after just one day cheat.
Second is the first 3 months are very important to be as strict as possible. You get fat adapted.

(Kassandra) #15

Here is a free space and “newbies” can ask whatever they want i guess thats why this website is made for. If i ask is because i want to know, people can just say “Skip cheat days” and thats it:p

(Kassandra) #16

and you are

There’s a wealth of information to be found via this forum’s search engine.

Here are numerous threads started over the years with people asking the same question. For these results I just typed in ‘cheat days’

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=cheat%20days

(Marius the butter craving dude) #18

I would say this to all:
Cheats must come after a few months. And the cheat can be a very educative thing. After a few months of strict keto and a day of cheat you can feel the difference and the actual effect of carbs.
Let me tell about my gf. She cheated this Chrismas, her mood was very nasty… she felt bad in her body and also because she was very angry. Then she realized that this was her normal state before going low carb, she was shocked.

(Kassandra) #19

Got it! Yeah is that when you hear fitness gurus and all of that they do say the body “needs” cheat days so thats why I was wondering

(Marius the butter craving dude) #20

There is no required cheat day. Ideally you never have one. All cheats are treated here as mistakes. :)) Belive me you feel horrible after a cheat and you regret it, especially if there is no holiday involved.