Changing up our language

(Jack Bennett) #1

I was just listening to a past episode [1] of 2KD about manipulation of science and language and a thought occurred to me…

We complain about certain tropes like “artery-clogging-saturated-fat” and “heart-healthy-whole-grains”. Repeated phrases that become mainstream cliches that encode mainstream prejudices.

Well, we can play that game as well!

Going forward, I plan to describe my keto eating in terms that sound really positive and healthy. I invite all of you to do the same. With enough of us, we can meme these words and phrases into the mainstream.

• I make sure to get enough heart healthy saturated fat.
  • I do my best to avoid diabetes-causing sugars and starches.
  • I eat mostly filling and satisfying red meat.
  • I try to include heart healthy bacon as part of my diet every day.

And so on. Let’s shift the language that we use! Some people will think we’re being ironic, but when they see we’re being serious, it can open a conversation :grinning:

[1] Episode 72 with Nick Mailer.

(hottie turned hag) #2

This is way clever :grinning:

Love it!

• I love getting enough brain-nourishing saturated fat MCTs

• I do my best to avoid hellish disease-causing sugars and starches

• I eat mostly everything else like lovely vegetables + filling & satisfying animal products, seafood, and meat.

• I try to include joy-inducing herbs & spices as part of my diet every day.

• I try to include heart healthy bacon or smoked wild salmon at least every every Sunday.

• I mostly eat my minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants.

:woman_cook:

(Windmill Tilter) #4

Thats pretty funny. I like it.

The best way to get the message across in my experience is to lose so much weight that they just have to ask. A surprising number of people have ask me in past year.

My stock answer is “I eat as much fat as possible, and I add in protein if the weight starts coming off too quickly…”. :yum:

(Scott) #5

Yeah I like this. I cringe every time I hear that ad on radio “what if your heart could talk” It is followed by "tonight instead of cooking with butter I am going to use heart healthy vegetable oil ".

(Bunny) #6

Modified bullet point list…lol

• I make sure to get enough heart healthy saturated fat.

…some people require monounsaturated, polyunsaturated fats and saturated fats or combination these in ratios of both plant, animal and marine life sterols. To avoid inflammation and weight gain?

The three different types of APOE genes are as follows:

APOE2 – Best suited to a High Fat / Low Carb Diet (saturated fats are good)

APOE3 – Suitable For Both.

APOE4 – Best Suited For A High Monounsaturated Fat / Low Carb Diet (Avoid Saturated Fats) …More

image link

• I do my best to avoid diabetes-causing sugars and starches.

…amount of carbohydrate ingested in ratio to lean skeletal muscle tissue and adipose size circumference?

• I eat mostly filling and satisfying red meat.

…over eating protein can do the opposite!

• I try to include heart healthy bacon as part of my diet every day.

…we love bacon

…it’s not food unless fried in bacon grease…lol

(back and doublin' down) #7

beautiful :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #8

For some of us, there is no such thing at eating “too much” protein. I will sometimes eat over 300 grams of protein per day. For instance, I’ll eat over 160+ grams of protein for “lunch” and not be hungry for 7-8 hours, while eating low fat.

(Bunny) #9

10 ounces of protein sounds very insulinogenic, I can see why your blood sugars are so steady on those hikes and peaks on your charts…lol

Not being hungry could be that steady supply of insulin spiking glucose?

If you ate less protein you would be engaging glucagon and IGF-1 more than beta cell insulin?

So there must be such a thing?

(Bob M) #10

High protein intake will engage glucagon. That’s why there’s no blood sugar spike or decrease for me (insulin goes up then comes down; in conjunction, glucagon goes up; they work in tandom).

At my next set of blood tests, I plan on getting glucagon tested along with fasting insulin. But if glucagon is as pulsatile as insulin, it might not mean much.

I personally want IGF-1 to go up, to build muscle. IGF-1 is necessary for that. I see zero evidence in the context of eating two low carb/keto meals per day that IGF-1 is bad.

(Bunny) #11

I now see your logic in that, now that makes sense and is pretty crafty!

(Bob M) #12

Siobhan Huggins did get her glucagon to go up and her insulin to go down by eating much higher fat:

That would imply her blood sugar went up.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #13
  • Some bacon a day keeps the doctor away.

(traci simpson) #14

Ok so here’s the thing. Do we have to measure how much protein we eat? Is a usual ribeye about 8-10 oz?

(Bob M) #15

I never measure protein. The only reason I did in the past was to see what happened to my blood sugar (I was wearing a continuous glucose monitor) in response to protein. I was trying to prove Ted Naiman wrong. I thought I would see much higher blood sugar (eating protein is like eating a candy bar, dontchaknow?). I never found any change (either up or down) from eating protein.

So, 99% of the time, I have no idea how much protein I’m eating. What I eat will often be lower in fat and higher in protein (sorry, don’t hate me), so I will estimate the amount for kicks sometimes.

I personally would eat way more than 8 ounces of a ribeye. I usually eat 1.5-2 ribeyes, and that might be after eating a lot of shrimp (very high protein, very low fat).

Of course, only you can decide whether protein affects you or not.

(Jack Bennett) #16

FFor myself, I like to know very roughly where I’m at so I can gauge if I overdo it (symptoms include feeling “too full”, taste of ammonia suggesting protein overload).

That happens for me when I approach 200g. It might be different if I were working out hard - I haven’t run that experiment yet.

(Bob M) #17

Here’s an example of a meal with 162 grams of protein in it:

Morning blood sugar the next day went down. Multiply by 18 to get US units (6.4*18=115.2). Note the higher (for me) blood sugar On Tues, Nov 21 likely due to exercise that morning (raises my blood sugar, usually).

(Tracy) #18

The word FAT has been ruined. We have been brainwashed into believing that fat makes you fat. If fat had been called “Love Slickies” we wouldn’t think of it as harmful but something we need more of. Being obese should have been called “carby” instead of “fat”.

Amazing how that subtle brainwashing works isn’t it? Been dealing with that one for years with people who hate gun rights and use terms like “military style” and “assault weapon” every time they mention a rifle. Nobody pictures a sportsman or a competition, they picture a war being fought. I think it’s getting a lot better but still seeing that go to pic of the artery that looks like grease is coming out of it when I read something about that evil SATURATED fat, I think it’s slow, but more and more people are realizing it’s all BS.

(Jack Bennett) #20

You need to get most of your calories from health-sustaining triglyceride molecules :+1: