Changing up our language

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #21

I find ‘one needs fats’ becomes more main stream. At least in my community.

Not really as an obese people clearly has too much fat. Not necessarily because they ate too much fat but it IS that at the moment. Fat can be a problem, a solution and many more but I dislike dishonesty and wrong naming. In my language there is an euphemism I dislike. Fat people may be called “meaty”. Nope, it’s FAT. Yep, the world has a too bad reputation and I’d love to see it changed!
Just like blood is often so negative and it’s a wonderful, beautiful and very needed substance!
And why is sex nasty? My language has no such things but genitals are “ugly”, well it’s an ancient word, I only saw it in a folktale but still.
I so seriously disagree with so many things in various languages… But the people are the problem. People who have silly beliefs or people who isn’t but a nice item can’t contain “fat” in its name, no matter if it’s fatty…
There is some nice liquid, it’s probably called egg milk in English. In Hungarian, it was “fat milk” first, it had egg yolk and some fat (coconut oil or butter). Fat milk wasn’t a bad name especially when a significant amount of fat was added. But it was too ugly, bad word so it became egg milk. It does have egg so maybe it’s better, I don’t even use added fat most of the time but I think “fat milk” was too brave and people just couldn’t stomach it… I like to call fat fat. Even if it’s an oil (oh that’s different, such an elegant world, not ugly, often solid and saturated fat!), it’s fat :slight_smile: Fat is my friend.

There were some oh so delicate women who called everything differently. Hand was such a rude and ugly word, normal people use it for work! Their delicate body part needed a different name.
I am too simple and honest for that, with peasant ancestors who never were afraid of a block of fat on their bread, even without meat. I am different but I love fats too, not each and every type but I love the good ones.

There are positive fatty words too, from the times when some fatty food was positive, not everyone could afford that. And fat is tasty, why wouldn’t it be positive? Get your facts straight, people and appreciate fat and use it right :smiley:

I can be really enthusiatic about it. And until changes happen, I try to shock people with being positive about fat, that’s entertaining too. I am not a troll so I won’t search for some fatphobic place but it probably would be fun.

Nice! At the same time, I get a lot of the not essential but super important cell membrane supporting cholesterol as well.
Yay, it was my first, did I do it right? In real life, I keep up my blunt approach and try to shock people but they are sturdy like my cell membranes are supposed to be.

LOLololol - wonderfully said!!!

I love eating inflammation reducing sausage several times a week.

(bulkbiker) #26

Anything with fat has a combination of the three in them…it is not possible to “only” eat saturated fat

(Jack Bennett) #27

At the risk of being pedantic, I’ll say that any natural food has a mix of all three fats.

If you refine it, anything goes (e.g. C8 MCT oil is exclusively saturated fat, by definition).

(bulkbiker) #28

You’re right I should have said “food”

I don’t consider MCT oil to be food.

(Jack Bennett) #29

“Edible oil product” :joy::joy:

(Bob M) #30

This is why “reducing saturated fat” really means “reducing meat”. While most (all?) meats are more MUFA than saturated fat, everyone considers the saturated fat. Beef is nice and low in PUFAs, though. Even the fatty ribeye is more MUFA than sat fat:

You can get all the PUFAs you need by eating beef. You don’t need any more. If you want more, say you’re concerned about Omega 3 intake, eat some sardines or other fish.

That’s all you need.

(Jack Bennett) #31

One thing I will say in favor of the “Mediterranean Diet”, it has made it permissible among mainstream nutrition and dietetics to use the phrase “healthy fats”.

That last sentence would be an amazing thing to become part of our everyday language. To start, larger people may be less offended at the word carby but it could really start a whole generation mindset change by infiltrating ‘carby’ as the new generic word for obese. I think you have really struck gold on that one.

Personally, having now done 2 weeks of carnivore and seeing even more benefits than my 2 yrs on keto, I am now seeing and thinking of animal fats as pure liquid gold :1st_place_medal: gold for the win!

(Jack Bennett) #34

It’s not wrong - elevated blood sugar is one of the big problems for type 2 diabetics.

It creates a perfect environment for bacterial infection, damages microvasculature, ultimately leads to necrotic tissue in the extremities with amputation as the only solution.

“Carby” or “sugary” is definitely not what anybody wants to be!

People with diabetes are called “sugary” in Hungarian… It’s not the official word (that is “sugar” + “diseased”), just a shorter unofficial one but it’s widely used.
We don’t have “carby” though, we don’t even have such a shortening, we use carbohydrate with the Hungarian word for carbon and it’s too scientific for everyone to use.

Indeed, if we think about blood, sugary and carby makes sense too but what if someone is fat but keeps their blood sugar low enough? They still have lots of excess fat and we see that, not their blood test results so I still find fat more logical and fat should be a more positive word anyway, I stand by that!

(Jack Bennett) #36

Dr. Lustig discusses this question in his public talks. Some people who are obese are metabolically healthy and some people who are skinny have metabolic syndrome.

Someone who is technically “obese” and who has a lot of subcutaneous fat, but little or no visceral fat, is fairly likely to be in a good spot metabolically. Their fat storage mechanism (i.e. de novo lipogenesis) is clearing out their bloodstream of sugar and storing that energy in fat.

They are the opposite of the TOFI (thin outside, fat inside) person who doesn’t have a lot of subcutaneous fat but has a fatty liver and pancreas, and elevated blood sugar (and, presumably, elevated insulin).

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #37

I propose ‘TIFO’.

(back and doublin' down) #38

This rings so accurate for me! Often now when I e see a person whose weight seems a struggle, I’m immediately wondering about their carb intake (& what traumas or emotions they’ve attempted to numb with food).

(traci simpson) #39

I have to agree with you. Week 2 and I’m down 4 pounds. I’ve been KETO since April and only have lost about 6 pounds until two weeks ago.

(Bob M) #40

If you’re eating more animal fat, you could be raising your saturated fat, which then could lead to fat cells that are insulin resistant (meaning they don’t want any more energy), thereby causing you to lose weight. That’s one possible explanation.

And no one really knows what the term “keto” means. A huge array of diets go under that moniker.