Again…
She has such beautiful complication😊
Wow

Diet and or genes?
Don’t care lol

(Troy) #3

Back to the video
My fav part…38:00 time stamp
" do not fear unlimited Fatty protein, none of this today protein fear-mongering ”:grinning:

Fabulous, thank you! I love her “Keto Without The Crazy” approach. I went through both videos, skipping over some sections:

“If you’re always low carb but not super-strict keto, you are doing the Atkins diet. Dr. Atkins was very careful to emphasis that Induction is Induction. The Atkins diet is the longer term lower carb diet that you use to maintain all the good stuff that has happened.”

“I’m really disheartened by what I see in the keto and low carb community now where everybody is so scared - literally terrified - of butternut squash, terrified of canteloupe. If you’ve been living in super-strict ketosis for a long time, Dr. Atkins can teach you how to increase your carbs… without triggering whatever health problems you began with… If you have an average level of metabolic resistance, 15-40g carbs. If you have a very low level of metabolic resistance, you might be able to maintain at 60g-90g carbs which is a lot if you’re getting it from veg & fruits, you might have some wiggle room for rice or bread… He wanted to educate people on how to do this for life.”

“He rarely uses the word ketosis, he talks about lipolysis. There was no such thing as macros or fat bombs on the Atkins Diet. The big issues at his time was people overdoing carbs.”

“This book (The 1999 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution) is a GOLDMINE.”

“He was all over insulin and carbohydrates 20+ years ago.”

"Dr. Atkins says, “This is the natural diet of the human omnivore… people are well-fitted to eat fresh meat, fish, fowl, berries, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and in moderation fruits! Nature is not trifled with, and this was our diet for millions of years long before the bizarre dietary habits of the 20th century were unleashed to plague us.”

“I just really truly had my mind blown re-reading this book.”

“What a brilliant, kind, decent, HUMAN, man!”

“I refer people who are on medications to Jackie Eberstein RN, co-author of the Dr. Atkins Diabetes Revolution - she’s still taking clients and doing presentations.”

“Most of the new keto books coming out have done nothing to improve on what Dr. Atkins published over 20 years ago… let’s not forget about the tried & true that every single one of those books is based on.”

“If you’re 100% overwhelmed & confused and don’t know where to start, or if you’ve been at this awhile and you still feel totally overwhelmed and have no idea what to read: buy this book. The vast majority of the patients that he treated who stuck to the diet as written (without measuring ketones) did really well.”

And, I love how in the second video she follows up about the debt of gratitude we have to all the cornerstone, key people in LCHF research!!! Those who’ve named and healed of the root cause: hyperinsulinemia. She shows the various beloved dog-eared books in this lineage, Kraft, Yudkin, Mary Dan & Michael Eades, and also talks about Phinney’s contributions going back to the 1980s. Superb!!!

(Bunny) #5

…she went deep and that was the ketogenic diet I remember!

Thank you Mary for the nice review.

A lot of people will say Dr. Atkins was fat, he was because of complications (steroid therapy) unrelated to keto.

Dr. Atkins always encouraged upping your carbohydrate intake if you could handle it depending on your set point as described by Fung and others.

I think upping your carbohydrate intake and how high you can go depends on everyone’s degree of fatty skeletal muscle tissue which determines your BMR/RMR and if the left over glucose will be stored as fat or oxidized (set point) with the help of insulin?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I will always be in the Atkins camp. When I was fat, depressed, young mother working 40+ hours a week I tried the other plans, which lead to restricting and more mental health issues. This book taught me how to eat again and not be afraid of food. I maintained a healthy figure for 15 years keeping things low carb. When illness, corticosteroids and sobriety got the better of me, I dove back in. I know we call it “keto” now, with it’s variations, but I’ve always been on the Atkins diet. I’m currently experimenting with more whole food carbs and it’s going well. Thanks for posting, Bunny.

(Bob M) #7

I have no idea what this means. How can glucose be “left over”? Left over from what?

(Pete A) #8

I appreciate this post. When I returned in Sept 2017 to “diet”, my plan was to do Atkins induction only, having gained back weight after 2x on Atkins. Those times, I didn’t handle the “rungs” well so figured I’d do permanent induction.

It was after a couple of months that I learned I was keto haha

I never looked back.

(Bob M) #9

While I like Amy Berger, I think sometimes she’s a bit too loosey-goosey for some of us.

For instance, I have issues with both wheat and rice. Will I eat them sometimes? Yes. Do I want to make them a habit? No. My body particularly does not like wheat. Causes asthma, allergies, chest congestion. And for rice, it’s easy to go from a tiny amount to way too much.

Also, the fruit issue is a tough one. I went with my kids to “breakfast” (blunch for me, i.e., my first meal, while they had a second breakfast), and the restaurant substituted fruit instead of potatoes. I did eat the fruit, but it just made me hungrier than I would normally be. And I’m sure that if I was wearing a CGM, I would see a blood sugar spike where I would not see one if I ate my omelette by itself.

Anyway, I think if you can handle those things, her ideas are fine. If you can’t, though, her ideas are bad.

(Bunny) #10

I have some idea:

The glucose (types of sugar) that gets stored in the liver and muscle tissue as glycogen and used by the kidneys, brain other organs and biological processes and the rest gets stored as lipid droplets in adipose tissue or oxidized by the mitochondria surrounding the lipid droplet inside the adipose cells (if your muscles aren’t embedded with little tiny triglyceride droplets or lipids).

When you exceed your individual carbohydrate limit according to your own metabolism!

If you eat carbohydrates that is?

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

I started with Dr. Atkins revised edition. Went on to use Phinney’s version. I personally found the ladder approach to work very well. I quickly learned what I could safely add back into my eating and what to just forget exists. I am gluten intolerant and was addicted to bread. Ketoed breads are what makes this my lifelong WOE now. If I do put on any weight now, I just fast a bit and then keep eating what I know works for me.

… Well, interestingly, “Her ideas” are actually just solid Atkins in foundation if you listen to her whole talk, backed up in her blog articles. ( She does clearly acknowledge that there is indeed a small minority of people whose metabolisms are so deranged/broken that staying in Induction is necessary and good).

The keto researchers all differentiate between food addicts and/or very metabolically deranged who must be always be extremely strict - and those who can do just fine with occasional treats. One example that the Eades give in Protein Power is of an obese middle aged fellow who, for emotional cheer reasons, chose to have a 17g candy everyday as part of his daily menus plan (keeping to 25g net or something like that) - and was very strict otherwise within their protocol - and that’s what made it doable/sustainable for him to shed over 100 pounds and keep it off for good. George Stella, the famous keto chef, lost his 200+ # sticking to a foodie/food celebratory path of ketofying all the Italian/mediterranean and world cuisine dishes he loved, including desserts (and using nonstick pans & nasty cooking oil spray, rather than lots of fats for cooking).

As you and others prob already know, the reason Phinney/Volek/Westman, in their recent “New Atkins For A New You” increased veg/fruit servings recommendations was in the interest of sustainability on a couple of fronts, which they talk about in the book. I like how it addresses the fascinating complexity of real life, particularly when looking at sustainability in a stressed & chaotic industrial world (one with fastfood establishments scattered practically everywhere now - tempting folks to just stop cooking altogether if they can afford it…):

1. A chunk of people do get bored of just meat & animal products and/or prefer more colorful fare in their meals due to cultural preferences.

2. Many non-western and global south cultures use both abundant spices and some kind special holiday starches - so cultural sensitivity in a global society is much needed in order to help folks find their own sustainable way both physically & emotionally.

3. There’s compelling info on the critical role of antioxidants, alkalinization, and phytochemicals for the longterm cellular health/anti-cancer way of living (probably unnecessary if one is eating only raw organs, raw fats, & meat, though that’s pretty rare as a lifestyle).