Cauliflower Cheese

(Lindsey) #1

Hi guys,

I love cauliflower cheese, and I make a pretty mean one with plenty of good (great!) fat, the problem is that I like a big bowl and then it’s pretty easy to go over my carb limit. I love pretty much all veggies so does anyone have any suggestions of something I can mix in to add bulk but lower carbs? I tried putting in broccoli, which tasted just as nice but made the carb count worse. I usually slice up a couple of big mushrooms and add those in but I don’t want it getting too mushroomy so need something else. Any ideas?

(Michelle) #2

Drink two glasses of water before eating. And listen to your body! You may actually be satiated but just want to eat more of that cheesy goodness.

(Lindsey) #3

I drink a lot of water whilst I’m cooking, so that’s pretty much covered. :smile:

(Michelle) #4

I don’t know. I feel the same way about Cauliflower cheese. As my 16 year old daughter says, “I. Can’t. Stop. Eating. This.” My Family loves it!

(Annalee Haley) #5

Please post recipe. I am constantly looking for kid friendly recipes. Thanks! Oh, I cut the casserole recipes out for myself for the very reason you listed, although I miss them greatly. I just have scrambled eggs or leafy greens with oil and salt for a side. Boring, I know but works for me. :smile:

(Lindsey) #6

I don’t really have a recipe, I’m a very much ‘throw things in as I go’ type of cook (though now I weigh it as I go to keep record of my macros).

Basically I chop up the cauli and set it to boil, though I’ve heard roasted is also really good. In a jug I mix up a sauce of cream cheese, sour cream, double cream, cheddar, onion powder and garlic powder. Just use a guesstimate of what’ll be enough to cover the cauli. Season well. I also like to add tumeric to give it a bit more oomph. Put the cauli and sauce in a casserole dish, a few more slices of cheese on top and leave to cook for about half an hour until it starts to brown on top. Yum yum yum.

(Annalee Haley) #7

Thanks bunches! I will try it on hubs and kids.

(Allie) #8

Net carbs in cauliflower are negligible, are you counting total?

(Lindsey) #9

No net. Unfortunately cauli seems pretty heavy so carbs seem low but you don’t get a large amount for the weight. When I make cauliflower cheese it’s as a main meal rather than a side dish, the one I made on sunday was 7.3 carbs cauli, 10 carbs broccoli and then the cream cheese was 4. If I replaced the broccoli with cauli I could have shaved off 3, I won’t be adding the broccoli next time, but it’s still pretty high. I’m not eating mounds of the stuff, just enough to satiate. I think it was one large bowl.
It’s okay as an occasional meal, I won’t stop making it completely, just thought if I can cut it down then all the better.

(Allie) #10

When I make it I just melt grated cheese into double cream, add salt, pepper, and some Season All, throw in some pre-cooked bacon pieces and mix it all together with the cooked cauliflower. Never even think about carb content and not had any issues, I eat big amounts of it too.

(Casey) #11

I like the idea of adding bacon. You could always throw some protein in there (chicken, pork, steak, etc).

(mags) #12

Thank you for giving me an idea for dinner tonight!

(Charlotte) #13

I make this all the time and just ate some for lunch! I added in a bunch of crumbled bacon and chopped toasted macadamia nuts (toasted slivered almonds are good as well) , along with sauteed mushrooms and a (very) small amount of caramelized onions, drizzled it with hot sauce, and it was absolutely delicious. The difference in texture between the cauliflower, mushrooms, nuts and bacon make it especially satisfying. :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

The only way I’ve found to make cauliflower cheese is to make it for five people and let the other four take as much as they want first! :bacon:

(Michelle) #15

We top it with bacon and scallions. Like loaded baked potatoes.

(Lindsey) #16

I think I’ll try doing it that way. Do you find the sauce is too runny then though? Part of the reason I use the cream cheese is (aside from loving the taste) is that it thickens up the sauce. Do you just cook it longer until it thickens? Or add in so much grated cheese that it’s thicker anyway?

(Allie) #17

I just keep adding cheese until the consistency is how I want it. If it gets too thick, just add in a little water.