Carryover

(Bob M) #1

So, we made two pork loin roasts, one small and one large. We took the small one out of the oven at 145F (based on a probe in the center of the meat) and put the larger one back in the oven as it was under cooked.

We took the larger one out at 145F (based on a probe in the center of the meat) and let it sit on the counter, covered in a bit of foil. How much do you think it carried over (raised in temperature) while sitting on our counter?

About 11 degrees.

In Alton Brown’s new recipe for cooking steak, you put a probe in the center of the steak, then cook at 200F until it hits 125. You take the steaks out and leave the probe in while getting pans hot. How much did the last steaks we cooked this way carry over?

About 8 degrees.

So,you can “under cook” big hunks of meat, and they’ll gain enough temperature to meet your goal temp. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

(Khara) #2

We actually discussed this very thing in my home last night. Same scenario where a roast continued cooking a bit more than we wanted after removing it. We quickly vetoed the idea to just slice it up right away because then we’d lose the juiciness from letting it rest. We didn’t check the temperature after resting but maybe I’ll do that next time. Interesting data. :cut_of_meat::+1:

(Bob M) #3

Although last night, I tried the Alton Brown technique of cooking steaks at 200F until they reach 125 in the center, then resting, then searing…and only got a few degrees rise. But I was rushing to try to cook everything, so my daughter could eat before she went to karate. I didn’t give the steaks much time to rest.

And I’m sure the different cuts of steak will changes this. The first time, where I got a lot of rise, some of the steaks were super thick. The steaks last night were not nearly as thick.

But I’ve found certain cuts in particular really rise a lot. Leg of lamb is one of those. I started cooking this to only 125F or so, as if I cooked it higher, by the time I let it rest, it was overcooked.

(Pam ) #4

This is why Chefs say to let meat “rest”. I undercook sauteed chicken breasts and pork chops all the time then let them sit for 15 minutes-ish and the meat stays succulent this was.

PS - If you are not aware of sous vide cooking you might want to check into it. It is a game changer!