Carnivore/Zero Carb January 2017!

(Alex Dipego) #103

Nothing has been so easy as ZC. Eggs, bacon, bottom round and fresh Mozz… Who’s hungry? Not me :joy::joy::joy:

(Kerri Hines) #104

How is it 1 and 2 hours after eating? Had you checked those in the past?
Being the morning fasting reading always makes me think dawn phenomenon and even a little cold can create a bg issue for a bit. Any chance you may be getting some sniffles or anything?

(Cathie Condon) #105

Dawn phenomenon- for high reading in the am

(Annette) #106

Someone suggested this (Dawn Phenomenon) to me also and recommended testing two hours after waking. A good idea except I seem to forget and have my coffee first. Grrrr!

(Joan Hulvey) #107

With a little digging into Dr Toth’s blog, I found a very detailed account of a Crohn’s patient who used her experience with the condition and the paleo-keto diet as taught by Dr Toth to earn her college graduation degree. It’s very detailed. While the “rules” allowed for 1 piece of fruit daily, honey for sweetening, small amounts of vegetables, she mostly ate meat, bacon, eggs, offal, broth and greaves (rendered fat – pork rinds?). Spoiler alert: she recovered her health. Here are the details if interested:

(Henna Selnes) #108

Again 8.3. BUT. I was reading a post on fb, just seeing what was going on,and a post caught my eye. After reading the comment it made me go back and think what DID I eat over the last 2 days,so beef, beef,jepp some more beef and,pork rinds. Helvete, that has to be it. So I have thrown the bag out and will test again in the morning. I think I have found my bad food. Thank you for helping and making me think. :smiley:

(Henna Selnes) #109

Same with me. By the time I was on my 2nd coffee I finally decided to open my IPad, read this dawn phenomenon, have no idea what this is,lol,so also a good reminder to find out.

It’s day 8 for me and still going strong. I’ve noticed decreased desire to eat the past 3 days. I’ve been sticking to a bpc for breakfast and a meat with added fat for lunch. I’ve noticed a little leg cramping which has never happened so I’ve doubled my electrolytes. In spite of eating less I seem to be gaining weight…just a pound since starting but I need to lose 15lb so I don’t like going in the opposite direction. I’m hoping this will reverse as I continue with the month.

(AnnaLeeThal) #111

Had some nausea yesterday before lunch, I think the coconut oil in my coffee needs to go. I had just been doing heavy cream, but I made a proper BPC instead yesterday so I think that is it. Felt better after eating lunch.

I feel like I’m really getting into a groove today. Feel better overall, energetic, mind is clear. Had a delicious burger from Smashburger for lunch with bacon, egg, bleu cheese, and goat cheese. So satisfying.

I am having a hard time giving up my 99% dark chocolate habit. Maybe I’ll set a date where I will give it up, at least temporarily.

(melinda) #112

I’m STARVING a lot. Especially for red meat! Luckily I stewed a whole chicken today for dinner and it was amazing. At a ton of dark meat and fat from that. Did slip up a little with sweetener in my coffee. That’s my downfall.

(Adam L) #113

Day 6 breakfast was at midday - half a cooked chook from the supermarket, if I eat again today it will be a small tub (which is a huge serve for one person) of nice fatty lamb souvlaki from the fish n chip shop, the family are all still eating chips :slightly_frowning_face: Yesterday was bacon & eggs for both breakfast and dinner about 12 hours apart, plus home baked crackling :australia: (pork rinds :us:) with dinner. It was very hard so it’s going in the grinder today to become piggy sprinkles! :pig2:

(Genevieve Biggs) #114

Don’t worry about eating too much on ZC. Part of the ZC philosophy is not counting anything, so if you’re hungry–eat! Even if it feels like “a lot.” I ate nearly a pound of beef with cheese and some bacon for dinner, and that was only one meal. I had another 3/4 pound earlier today, as well as bacon and eggs and some chick fil-a. Your body is starving for nutrients that only meat can provide. :wink:

(Alex Dipego) #115

I’ve been eating a lot though more because I just like eating not hunger. Still ZC just… Lots of it :joy::joy: doing a 36hr fast though so we’ll see how that goes after 5 days of ZC.

(Henna Selnes) #116

After checking my blood glucose again for the 3rd day in a row,its back down to MY normal of 6.4. I did not have pork rinds the night before and today it its over 2 points lower. Well now I know being t2d not to eat those again. This beef challenge is really showing the dos and the donts for me. One more day and I do believe my bg will be even lower.

(Charndra Pile) #117

So today I got to eat two Scotch Fillets for Dinner, mega luxury. (Ribeye OS).

Having a bit of heatwave here in Adelaide, we cooked an egg in the frypan on the gravel in the backyard this afternoon. Kids thought this was hysterical! It was over 40°c at the time. (109°F)
I then ate it. Sun baked egg. Delicious!

(Leslie Andersen ) #118

Hi Adam. Your foods intrigue me as I haven’t heard of chook or slouvaki. Do you mind if I ask where you live? I ask because I am taking a trip to Iceland and Denmark later this year and I am interested in trying new food. I live in a small MInnesota town, and lamb is not available in the one store we have. I understand this to be a great ZC dish and I am amazed really that it’s not in the stores here, since this part of the US has so much farming. There are a couple of farms in this county that raise sheep even.

(chris.coote) #119

So, after 5 days, I’m heading back to standard Keto / IF. I forgot I have some bloodwork coming up, and the last time I took in higher amounts of protein, I was spilling some over and worried my GP. Overall, not a bad experience.

Just curious, is there a count of how many are doing zero carb Jan?

(Adam L) #121

Hi Leslie, I live in Australia in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, we are basically spoilt for choice with the good foods we can get access to here because of our generally very good farming and the fact that we are a diverse multicultural society. Souvlaki is a Greek dish, where I get it from they have a big rotisserie with a large metal pole/skewer loaded up with the pieces of lamb and it lays horizontally over a bed of coals and spins slowly for hours, it’s delicious. Aussies call what it’s cooked on a “spit roast” some people might cook a whole lamb or pig on a spit to feed a large number of people. Chook is just an Aussie slang word for chicken, the chook I got today was also cooked on a rotisserie, in a supermarket deli. I’ve read elsewhere on this forum that Costco in USA sells some Aussie leg of lamb at a pretty good price, would be worth a try if you can get some. I’m enjoying a bit more lamb than usual doing ZC, awesome!! Iceland & Denmark would have some very interesting & nice food from what I’ve seen on the telly (tv) recently, let us know what you find there.

(Solle) #122